English 101 with Trihan sometimes!

Started by Trihan, Sun 28/06/2009 09:12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

I didn't strictly say it means "not" I just said it was a negative (i.e., non-positive, not strictly a direct negation) prefix. Something functioning badly would certainly be considered a negative compared to it functioning well. Though I understand the point that grouped with the "dis-" prefix as I used it, although in-context yields the same results either way, it's good to clarify that. ;)

Calin Leafshade

Here's a question.

is "Hello." a sentence?

I'm fairly sure to be considered a sentence you need a verb dont you?

So how would one have a greeting as a proper sentence?

"I say hello to you." ??

Also what IS 'Hello' Conjuction? imperative? interrogative? something else?

SpacePirateCaine

"Hello" is considered a salutation, which although not necessarily a proper sentence, is still considered grammatically correct. Technically its etymology lies in the High German 'halã, the emphatic imperative of the verb meaning to 'fetch'. Meaning, in a sense 'I recieve you'.

Interestingly, your "I say hello to you" would still defeat the purpose because the 'hello' in there still doesn't follow correct established grammar patterns. It would be more appropriate to say 'I greet you'.

So it falls into a separate category of grammar which is mostly outside the rest of the established precepts of the English language, much like salutations in nearly any language that I'm largely familiar with (Though the list is comparatively small).
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Ryan Timothy B

Where is that Trihan and his stickman comics?

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sat 02/01/2010 23:36:14
Where is that Trihan and his stickman comics?
He hasn't updated those in half a year.. just as I was getting into them :(

I didn't bump the thread to say that, I have two small, simple questions:

• When do you use to / too respectivly? I never bothered to learn that.
  • And is minute spelled minute?

I think I know the answer to both, but I want to be absolutly certain.

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Fri 08/01/2010 13:11:39
    When do you use to / too respectivly? I never bothered to learn that.

'Too' is the adverb, 'to' is the preposition. Where 'to' is used in such phrases as "I am going to town" and "What are you going to do?", 'too' is used in such places as "There are too many people on this bus!" and "Too right, sir!"

QuoteAnd is minute spelled minute?

Hahaha! YES! It is :D.

Both 'minute' as in "sixty seconds" and 'minute' as in "Very small" share this spelling.[/list]

Bulbapuck

TerranRich

Don't forget "I like that, too!"

Bulbapuck

*Bump*

So I'm starting the thread for the fifth hoursong competition when it strikes me: Weekdays. Do they begin with a large letter? i.e. Is it "Hoursong Saturday" or "Hoursong saturday"?

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Atelier

Capital letters. I thought for a moment you were going to ask which day a week started on := But everybody knows the start of the week is Sunday.

Edit: Whuh?? Wikipedia crippled my brain.

Bulbapuck

Great, thanks guys :)
                                                                                                ~join~

Stupot

I wonder what Trihan's up to these days...  :'(

Snarky

Quote from: AtelierGames on Fri 13/08/2010 12:44:27
    everybody knows the start of the week is Sunday.

Sunday is part of the weekend, hence it falls at the end of the week. QED.  ;D

Alun

Ah, but a week, like a rope, has two ends...   ;)

Soup - The Comic Strip
    http://www.soupcomic.com
    Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Calin Leafshade

A rope has no logical progressive direction.

A week does (time)

thus it has a beginning and an end.

Anian

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 13/08/2010 21:12:23
    A rope has no logical progressive direction.
    It doesn't? They're infinitive?  ;D

...well not to be the one that brings religion into the topic, but if the "it's part of the weekEND" argument is not enough, acording to the Bible, Sunday was the end of the week therefore it isn't at the begining...some weird nations use it as a begining of a week, but I don't get the concept since Monday is the day you start the part of the week that you work thus it's logical that that is the begining
    ...then again some nations use metric system (which uses the same logic as the number sistem) unlike other nations which use 3/8 of stuff etc. ...it takes all kinds.
    I don't want the world, I just want your half

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Anian

I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk