Red Dwarf: The Game - DEMO NOW AVAILABLE!

Started by Blobby 101, Sat 06/03/2010 15:13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Blobby 101

Hi everyone, I have a new game in production!
I say new, I haven't actually finished an AGS game before but I did post a thread on my last attempt at a game. That was fairly soon after I started using AGS so I wasn't very used to the engine and the project predictably failed.

The game is based off the Red Dwarf TV series which I have been a fan of for quite some time and was surprised at the fact that there was no video game for it. So I thought i'd make one :D

Red Dwarf: The Game

Here are my screenshots:

As you can probably tell from these screenshots, you play as Kryten, the service mechanoid on the Jupiter Mining Corporation Vessel Red Dwarf. Lister, Rimmer and The Cat are also in the game, with Lister being a playable character in one section.

My Progress so far:
Story: 60%
Scripting: 70%
Graphics: 20%
Puzzles: 35%
Sound/music: 0%

Credits:
So far, everything is by me. When I get the final graphics made and the music and such then obviously, other peoples names will go here too.

Content Advisory:
Language: Mild/none (unless the word "Smeg" counts, in which case it's Frequent :P )
Violence: Mild
Nudity: None

I have a request, could anyone who has a reasonable amount of skill in character art, background art or animating (or all three but not necessary) please help out, although I can manage the scripting, puzzle design and story I just can't make the graphics all look the same style or animate.

Development Diary:

06/03/10
Started thread, added more progress on Dialogues. Started creating custom GUI.
07/03/10
Finished GUI. Started intro sequence.
24/06/10
I should probably update this more :P Done a lot of progress since last update, A few other views and talking animations are in there now, also a couple of puzzles have been started.
02/08/10
Probably getting towards the end of the game. After this it's just all polishing it up.

Thanks for reading this thread, please tell me what you think of it :)

EDIT: 24/06/10 - Demo out, check the last page for download link.

DOWNLOAD

RedTalon

As a fellow Smeghead, I approve of this endeavor.

Looks great!  :D
www.redtalongames.com
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/redtalongames

Blobby 101

Hey, thanks!

I also forgot to mention that if anyone can do impressions of any red dwarf characters they are welcome to do voice acting :P I can usually do a good Kryten voice but it's just not sounding right when I record it :(

DOWNLOAD

DutchMarco

Quote from: Blobby 101 on Sat 06/03/2010 17:37:49
Hey, thanks!

I also forgot to mention that if anyone can do impressions of any red dwarf characters they are welcome to do voice acting :P I can usually do a good Kryten voice but it's just not sounding right when I record it :(
You mean, if you listen to the recording, you hear it the way everyone else hears it, which is not the way you want to believe it does. ;)

BTW great idea for a game, I wonder what the story will be, and the puzzles too of course.
Good luck with it!
May the smeg be with you!

CaptainD

This could be awesome... will Lister learn to play the guitar in this game?!?  ;D

Really, really looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Blobby 101

QuoteYou mean, if you listen to the recording, you hear it the way everyone else hears it, which is not the way you want to believe it does.
umm... yeah, pretty much xD

QuoteThis could be awesome... will Lister learn to play the guitar in this game?!?
hehe, that depends on your definition of 'learning to play the guitar'. Competently? No. But he'll certainly try xD

Thanks for the great comments everyone! I'm pretty much working flat out on this at the moment, I might possibly have a demo to post up tomorrow but don't hold your breath :P

DOWNLOAD

Dualnames

I like the toaster! In fact one of my favorite shows. If you just put some real emotion on Rimmer's dialogs and you manage to grab the series feeling properly, then SMEG it will be fun!

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

poc301

LOVE it!

I am one of the few people in the states who even know this show exists, and plan on playing it when done :)

I see the toaster...  Will there be Toaster Heaven? :)

I also notice the male version of Holly.  Nicely done.

Are you going to use the theme song for the intro/main screen?  If so, what version?

Keep up work on it, I love it.

Thanks,

Bill

Blobby 101

Quote from: poc301 on Sat 06/03/2010 19:57:45
I also notice the male version of Holly.  Nicely done.
Thanks - I never really liked Hattie Hayridge's Holly as much as Norman Lovett's

Quote from: poc301 on Sat 06/03/2010 19:57:45
Are you going to use the theme song for the intro/main screen?  If so, what version?
I have got the later theme (the more upbeat, electric guitar one) in there at the moment but i'll likely have to change it at some point (copyright and the like).

Again, thanks a lot for all the kind words.

DOWNLOAD

Chicky

I'm a big smeghead, i even have a t-shirt saying so!

Good luck with this, don't cock it up ;)

Blobby 101

Thanks Chicky, I'll certainly try not to!

DOWNLOAD

Ali

I think the majority of my formative years were spent watching and re-watching Red Dwarf. What a surprise that I turned out to be extremely cool and not a loser after all. If you can capture the charm  (excluding series 7 and 8 *shudder*) then this game will be a lot of fun!

Quote from: Blobby 101 on Sat 06/03/2010 15:13:13
As you can also probably tell from the screenshots, Kryten is always facing forward, this is because I can't make good graphics for anything, there are currently no character animations in the game, or side views for any of the characters. I have a request, could anyone who has a reasonable amount of skill in character art, background art or animating (or all three but not necessary) please help out, although I can manage the scripting, puzzle design and story I just can't make the graphics all look the same style or animate.

I haven't enough time to offer to help, but I think you've started out with a style you can't maintain.

I know this isn't the Critics Lounge, but why not try something charmingly very low-res like Duty and Beyond. Red Dwarf was hardly a hi-fi show, so why not embrace retro graphics? Think of the way lego star wars captures characters with very little detail. Perhaps you would find it easier to draw the other characters in a style like this:

m0ds

Looks like it will be great :) And you're right, Red Dwarf point n clicks are much needed, and should be in their hundreds. Good luck at pioneering :)

For inspiration, here's my edited down version of the Red Dwarf theme, because the original has a really lame bit in the middle!

http://screen7.co.uk/junc/reddwarf.mp3

Blobby 101

Thanks again everyone!
Ali: Thanks for that, I might change the style of it to be honest, as much as i'm quite fond of my Kryten sprite your right, i'm not able to maintain it.

Mods: Hah! That's a really cool version of the theme! I've had an offer by someone else on the forums to do music for the game (which i'm accepting) but would you mind me using that version for the intro sequence? I think it would really fit what i'm thinking of for it ;)

Oh, and i've done a sketch of Starbug for use in one scene - Here it is:

DOWNLOAD

Mr Flibble

I had a Red Dwarf game on the go a while ago, 320x200, pixelated graphics in the style of sprites I sometimes post in the C&C... nothing ever came of it though.

Good luck!
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

CaptainD

I'm really hoping there'll be room for:

Albert
Ace Rimmer
Lister's socks
Rimmer's mother
Stasis pods

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dualnames

Also as List would say:
"Koooonchaaaaansskiiiiiiii" (Altogether)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

CaptainD

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 08/03/2010 00:02:59
Also as List would say:
"Koooonchaaaaansskiiiiiiii" (Altogether)

Yeah but only if she's the snooty Scottish lass of the first season, not the one who invaded the last couple of seasons...

poc301

Also, you HAVE TO have a gazpacho soup inventory item, or puzzle, or something.  I always found it funny that it was to blame for Rimmer's demise.

-Bill

neon

I have the uncomfortable feeling, that we've missed something here in Germany, because it seems like this series has never been on german TV. Or maybe I just missed it.

It sounds interesting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk