AdventureX, tickets availabub

Started by , Sat 01/10/2011 07:19:21

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

Special guests: Chris Bateman (Discworld Noir)

Games: http://www.screen7.co.uk/adventurex/exhibits.html

Tickets: http://adventurex.eventbrite.com

Yes, AdventureX is happening this year. December 17th & 18th.

M

Original 2003 adventureX thread
&
AdventureX website

straydogstrut

So long as I can reach it via public transport or hitch-hiking in some weirdos car i'd come (I don't drive). If it's on a mainline out of London that's ideal for me, but I would say if it's any more than a 2/3 hours away for most people then it would need to be at least a two-day thing to make it worth the travelling time (assuming the event itself lasts a few hours)

I'm more than happy to travel anywhere accessible in the UK as I regularly go home to Scotland anyway but would likely stay overnight somewhere (which I would expect to pay for) if was going to take a long time to get there. Some local information about places to stay/transport would be useful for most folks if that was the case.

It's such a shame that this didn't work out before, but perhaps it was too ambitious originally. There's no point booking a large space if the public don't get interested and you need to factor in the cost of marketing. For something like this i'd gladly donate to a fund just to make it happen, whether I could attend or not, but again you'd need confirmed attendees/games in place to make the general public part with their cash. A small meet n' greet where you play plenty of demos and talk to other adventure game enthusiasts would be good. I can't see myself getting to (or qualifying for) any of the Mittens events in the forseeable future so it would be good to have something in the UK to look forward to. The guest talks are an added extra for me - i'd gladly welcome them if you can make it happen.

Hope I don't come across too negative. I am super-excited about seeing AdventureX in some form at some point so will gladly help make it happen however I can - donating, marketing materials like flyers etc.

Oh, and make it a weekend if possible as I have to work and i've booked in all my holidays for this year!

m0ds

Nope your comments there are just fine, thanks straydogstrut! Appreciate it. I understand your reasoning on the 2 day thing for longer distance travellers. I can ask the venue about a Sat + Sun rental of the place no problem, but that would one up the price of the event a bit and two mean people staying would need to stay in a nearby city, ie Oxford (easily reached from Didcot, as is Reading or Swindon). I'm thinking Sat 10th Dec or Sat 17th, just before Xmas, and will ask about the possibility of it being 2 days. I also saw this particular venue has been in the media lately as it's struggling to get business, so something like this could really help them out and perhaps they'd agree to let us do it more often.

Realistically though, if it was two days it would not be possible at this stage to fly guests out from other countries. So I'd need to find willing people from the UK to cover both days, (I'm fairly positive Boakes and Cecil will still be interested). But as you say it IS more of a meet and greet with some interesting adventure gamey stuff thrown in. I've got plenty lined up for a fun packed day that could easily become two. I'm miffed it would be that little to hard to have a game-jam running at the same time, but that's another idea, for another day...

For this, it's just a matter of accomodation of guests if that's the case - cos I know people would want to stick around, but the hosting town has NO accomodation. The Premier Inn is 2 miles out of town and there's no bus service to it. I don't want to deal with accomodation booking (ie cost included in ticket) myself either. Sadly the town itself has no hotels, just a few B&B's. I will take a gander at venues in Oxford city though but I think I'll stumble across the same problems as the London idea if I start looking for "city" venues, which is why I'm eager to make it happen in a small (but accessable) town location. No matter what, the website would be updated with in-depth travel info and accomodation recommendations.

The venue I have in mind itself holds one single merit and that is that it is 30 seconds walk from the train station, on one of the London main lines. Beside that it really is just a pub with a function room. It's easy for me though as it's just a few miles down the road, and my friend who agreed to supply laptops & projectors for the London event lives in that town (Didcot). The town itself however is bleak, although there's a small multiplex cinema and some high street stores beyond that it's just a massive car park, with no history whatsoever. I think the only interesting story about it is a BA pilot who got sucked out of his window (but saved by colleagues) in a 747 above the town some years ago, and that took place 30,000 feet above it - quite rightly so too :P

As I mentioned previously though it really is only an hour, at most, from London by train. If you get a London > Slough > Reading > Didcot fast train though (at no extra cost) it can take 45 mins. Although getting a train ticket for two days would be quite expensive, the option to stay in London and travel each morning would be there, but I realize it wouldn't be that fun or money saving to do that. Staying in Oxford though would be a lot cheaper. There's a YHA right by the station, and plenty of hotels and B&B's too. If you can afford a lap of luxury though, I recommend staying in Oxford castle. It's pretty epic. And if you're smartly dressed, random members of the public will ask you questions as if you work there :P But yes people would need to amuse themselves if necessary, but considering adventure-x would be from 10am to 10pm both days (roughly) then people can always spend their time there.

I'm surprised at the interest it raised last time round and on reviewing the material and reservations it was quite intriguing to see just who planned on attending. So I've been more motivated to do it, and of course Mittens fever helps. I wouldn't ask for any donations, though I appreciate your offer there. I would rather it could fund itself from the off and if people pay anything it's just for a ticket. That way I know it could work again cost effectively. Luckily the majority of the setup now is not complicated, it's finding the right balance between a day trip and a 2 day event, and making sure people can make it.

Thanks again though for giving me some factors to think about :)

PS sorry if there are awful spelling mistakes. My auto spelling red line thing has disappeared :(

Venue info

Oh, and this town does have a new dedicated arts centre (see here) but that'd be expensive I'd imagine let alone the venue information link is broken.

Ali

It'd take me about 1hr 20 to get to Didcot Parkway, which in London is positively fast! I'd definitely like to show my support, however I am gearing up for a film shoot so it would depend on the dates.

Also I made up a witty quip about Didcot Parkway that Nelly thought was rubbish. You be the judge:

In Didcot Parkway from the train platform you can see a museum building, and painted on the side of it is "Didcot Parkway: Home of the Great Western Society". All in all, it's hard to see what Al Qaeda has against it.

m0ds

Ha!! Yes its inhabitants are doomed from the offset, why waste time and effort fighting it! Mind you, apparently Bin Laden studied at Oxford and used to hang out there... Maybe he helped paint that museum sign :P HITLER wanted to make Oxford his UK capital. I'm wondering if these chaps perhaps had their sights set a few miles down the road on Didcot. Park. Way. I'm sure Nelly was positevly stumped by your "you need to have been to Didcot to get it" quip :P It took ME a few minutes. Current dates are weekend 10th Dec or 17th Dec. Providing all goes well on my venue visit on Monday, and I blag the dialogue puzzle lady convincingly.

I appreciate your support though Ali. You've always helped motivate me with this adventure-x shiznay! And I presume that is the book burning movie? Good luck with that. Are you actually burning an epic big pile of books? Thanks again.

Radiant

I like the idea, but I'm unlikely to travel to London for just one day.

Wonkyth

While there's no way on earth I'm ever getting there, it'd be great if you went ahead with this.
Even if it has a very humble beginning, I can only see something like this growing, as long as the initial impression isn't too lame.  :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Technocrat

It'd be two and a half hours for me, but I think that now I'm actually based in the UK, it's the kind of thing that'd be fun to do!

m0ds

Radiant, Wonkyth, Technocrat - thanks! Your comments are duly noted  8)

LimpingFish

I'm not sure exactly what it would mean for us, but...

http://www.cornerstone-arts.org/uploads/documents/Cornerstone%20Hire%20Charges.pdf

...these are the prices for the Cornerstone Arts thingy. If I'm reading it correctly, we could rent the auditorium for £400 a day?
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

straydogstrut

Ah more updates, think I missed them because you used the edit thingy you little sneak;-)

@LimpingFish: Yeah, looks like it is to me. It looks pretty good actually. I know Mods is keen on that pub - and i'm all for helping out a struggling business - but the arts centre is one to consider if the event is big enough. Dunno what you think of the price? I don't know what's the average but it seems okay to me if we get anywhere near the 40-50 capacity of the other place, or someone feels especially generous=D Of course it becomes less reasonable if it becomes a two-day event. My holiday in two weeks cost less=D

m0ds

That's the thing. The pub is more likely to waiver the fare and take into consideration our cause. The arts centre probably isn't. They're council funded, which usually = no way of bartering. I will pop into the pub and Cornerstone tomorrow. But as we've said...humble beginnings seem much more appropriate. And I'm less inclined to make an 'expo' of it, as barely anyone agreed to showcase their games over the last threads. But thanks for finding that info, Chris!!

As I said before I don't want people funding something that could essentially flop. And the Cornerstone arrangement could mean exactly that. Also, Cornerstone shutting at 4.30pm on Sunday isn't much help either. I'd rather the event went from late morning til early evening than early morning to late afternoon, for travellers sakes!

EDIT. Straydog ... thinking about it the Cornerstone price isn't too bad. If 40 people had a 2 day ticket that would cover the rental. I think last time I reached about 30 two day tickets, so it was close. But yes, it being affordable is paramount, and donations to make it happen...well, I'll think about it. Going to visit these places in a few mins :)

Peder 🚀

I'd definitely come! Just over 2 hours travel for me :).

m0ds

Thanks Peder. I'm currently most interested in location #1, the smaller venue. It's a lot cheaper, there is actually quite a bit of space, it has a bar, they're happy for it to be on a Sat and Sun, too, and will stay open for as long as we need. Cornerstone was closed today, typically - but I'm less interested in that place. There's no on-site parking, I think an auditorium would be too big for our needs, as we won't be having exhibitor booths or anything. I also think their price is a bit of a rip off, and I'm not convinced it includes bar staff either. But yes, as far as I can tell - in terms of humble beginnings, it's very likely this will go ahead now in December. Watch this space :)

Chicky

Not sure on the cost of travel for me, but i'm really not that far from London. I'm hesitant to confirm 100% as finding a job is taking it's toll but i'm sure i could find £50 before december to put aside for admission/travel. My main motive being MEETING MODS and any other members that attend. A pub sounds splendid ;)

m0ds

Right. Cheers Chicky :P But yes I too am hoping some AGS people can come who don't normally attend Mittens and stuff.

Dualnames

Quote from: Mods on Wed 05/10/2011 00:44:53
Right. Cheers Chicky :P But yes I too am hoping some AGS people can come who don't normally attend Mittens and stuff.

I SAID I AM NOT COMING!!!

:P

On a serious note, I'd very much like to attend. If there's a standard date, that'd be good as well.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

m0ds

Ah, unfortunately Jim it's already sold out, and there's no more room at the inn. :P

As soon as I have a confirmed date I'll let you, and the thread know. Still waiting to hear back from the main boss lady of the place - then confirm some special guests.. so I should have a date within a fortnight. I'm pushing for 10/11 Dec or 17/18 Dec. But it'd be good if you could make it.

m0ds

Goddamn venue people taking their sweet ass time.

Anyway, first guest confirmed!

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk