AGS 2.71 Final 2 - Politically Correct Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 05/06/2005 23:32:14

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Not sure, will try on the bad computer tomorrow... however I can say that it hasn't happened to me yet if I've done CTRL-T without any changes: i.e. the game wasn't dirty and didn't need re-saving

EDIT:

Also, I notice that Helm says in his Caverns readme that RestartGame is crashing the AGS engine. I've noticed that too.

Dorcan

QuoteDorcan, can you post your system specs, please, so we can see if there's a common theme?

Code: ags

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: VT8363
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Duron(tm) processor,  MMX,  3DNow, ~1.0GHz
Memory: 320MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7184 (English)
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Happened to me again as I was working on a room script and tested the game with ctrl+T. I closed the window, continued working on my game a few minutes, then I noticed that it was still written "[Running game]" on the agseditor title bar.

Edit: I have another problem. When launching an ags games in fullscreen, I can't move the mouse and the game runs quite slowly, for like 10 seconds. Then everything works fine. I think it's a problem with directDraw, because I have a similar problem when starting video files, where sometimes the movie wouldn't play before 10 seconds. Maybe the problem with the game not quitting normaly has something to do with directx, I don't know.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

BTW, I've been having this issue for a while (dunno if it's just my peecy or if it's common) - after Alt-Tabbing out and back in (ayuh, it's not exactly the sort of think you should do regularly, but it's necessary at times) the game gets slower, less responsive, jerkier. Not immediately noticeable, but there will be moments when it's it'll be obvious. Quitting and re-running the game solves it, naturally.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Gilbert

Well it seems it was there for versions, auto-complete in script editor pops up the function "PlaySpeech(int, int)" which was undocumented, is it just some test stuff you put into the editor? If it's just obsolete and won't work I think it should be removed to avoid confusions.

More info here.

Elliott Hird

No, add it as a feature instead, it'd be useful.

SSH

Quote from: Elliott Hird on Mon 31/10/2005 13:48:15
No, add it as a feature instead, it'd be useful.

Or, to put it politely, "I'd prefer that the function was fixed and documented, if broken, rather than removed"  ::)

Elliott, I know that you said in your first post that you have Aspergers, but don't use that as an excuse to order people about, especially our esteemed leader

strazer

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 06/09/2005 23:28:46
Quote from: strazer on Tue 06/09/2005 21:40:49Would it be possible to make mouse.SaveCursorUntilItLeaves also restore the mouse cursor when leaving a GUI?
It would simplify things like changing the mouse cursor over a GUI so we could do something like

Sounds like a reasonable request, I'll certainly consider it.

Tracker'd: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/tracker.php?action=detail&id=546

Pumaman

Ok, RC 3 is up. This is a minor update -- it fixes up a couple of things and also upgrades Allegro (which may fix the game not shutting down properly after testing it -- can you guys check and see?).

I'd like this to be the final release of 2.71 but there are still a couple of things outstanding that I'd like to fix first:
1. The sprite file corruption that has been reported once or twice in this thread. Has anyone seen this lately? I'd really like to get to the bottom of it if there's a problem.
2. The "invalid handle" error message that Sektor 13 reported in this thread -- if anyone else has seen this problem, please let me know.

Barbarian

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 06/11/2005 18:12:16
Ok, RC 3 is up. This is a minor update -- it fixes up a couple of things and also upgrades Allegro (which may fix the game not shutting down properly after testing it -- can you guys check and see?).

CJ, I'm constantly in awe at your amazing skills and efforts of always working so hard to improve AGS.
Ã,  Ã, Regarding the game not shutting down properly problem... with your last rc2 version, I found I would get an error-message of the engine not shutting down properly, about 50% of the time, when shutting down the game from a test run in the editor.Ã,  With the rc3 version you just released, I've now tested and shut-down my game many times, and so far no more shutting down error messages, so for me at least, it seems to be working much better now in that regards.Ã,  :)

Ã,  Ã, Once again, great job, and Thank you so much for AGS and for sharing with us all. Really, AGS has become a regular part of my life over the last couple of years, and I enjoy my time playing aroung with AGS and amoung the community here.Ã,  Ã, Best regards.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

monkey0506

I for one have never had any problem exiting the game after testing it, but I have had that problem with sprite corruption...As a matter of fact, when importing a game from AGS 2.62 a couple of days ago, I got the error again for a large number of sprites.  It may even have been the same game which I originally encountered the errors with.  So perhaps it's a problem with importing old games?

I'll have to download RC3 and test it out to see if the error has possibly somehow become resolved.  And if it hasn't then I'll let you know.

Pumaman

Any luck with this?

I really don't want to release the Final version of 2.71 until I've got to the bottom of this problem, so if anyone else has experienced any sprite corruption problems, please let me know.

SSH

Just to confirm as I mentioned in other thread: I've not yet had the game shutdown bug with RC3

Dorcan

monkey0506

Sorry I never updated my post Chris.  It did turn out to be a problem with importing an old game from 2.62, but when I tried to open it with 2.7 (after un-raring it again) it was still corrupted, so it seems that I don't have a non-corrupted version of the file.  It's possible that I've just accidentally replaced my backup with a file that had the corrupted sprite index.

Other than that I haven't seen the problem, so I don't really know what to tell you.  If you want I could send you the old file.

Sorry I can't help more.

SSH

Minor bug: if you have a function import in a struct and you split it over two lines:

Code: ags

struct a {
  import function b (int x, 
                              int y, int z);
}

Then the autocompleter doesn't pick it up, and in fact pick up a wrong identifier instead... this may apply out of structs, too.

Pumaman

Glad to hear that the game-shutting-down bug seems to be fixed now.

QuoteSorry I never updated my post Chris.  It did turn out to be a problem with importing an old game from 2.62, but when I tried to open it with 2.7 (after un-raring it again) it was still corrupted, so it seems that I don't have a non-corrupted version of the file.  It's possible that I've just accidentally replaced my backup with a file that had the corrupted sprite index

Hehe ah well, thanks for checking.

QuoteThen the autocompleter doesn't pick it up, and in fact pick up a wrong identifier instead... this may apply out of structs, too.

The autocomplete parser is quite basic, and yes it will only recognise functions properly if the definition is all on one line. However, there are also several other situations in which it doesn't work properly if things are split over two lines so I won't give it much attention for now, sorry.

Anyway, RC 4 is now up. This should fix the Savegame-with-screenshots problem that some people have been having, so please let me know whether it makes any difference.

If anyone else has an example of a game that experienced sprite corruption, please let me know ASAP.

Colxfile

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 05/06/2005 23:32:14* Removed "Target DOS" option from the menu, since the DOS engine is no longer available.

You'll probably want to axe the warning "Games with names longer than 8-letters will cause some troubles if you compile for DOS" error if you create a new game with a name longer than 8-letters...
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

SSH

The error reported by Snake Blisken in my Zoom module threadÃ,  ( http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23664.0Ã,  ) is wierd: I can't see anything in the 2.71 changelog that would cause the problems he sees. However, it would be nice to have a mechanism whereby a module can specify a minimum AGS version required for its use...

I'd also like to mention that this BETA is actually more stable, it seems than the 2.70 final, so maybe its time to get this mutha on the road...

Pumaman

QuoteYou'll probably want to axe the warning "Games with names longer than 8-letters will cause some troubles if you compile for DOS" error if you create a new game with a name longer than 8-letters...

Good point, will do.

QuoteThe error reported by Snake Blisken in my Zoom module threadÃ,  ( http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23664.0Ã,  ) is wierd: I can't see anything in the 2.71 changelog that would cause the problems he sees. However, it would be nice to have a mechanism whereby a module can specify a minimum AGS version required for its use...

That is interesting, but I won't pay it too much attention since it seems to be fixed.

You can require AGS 2.71 by doing:

#ifndef AGS_NEW_STRINGS
#error AGS 2.71 is required for this module
#endif

QuoteI'd also like to mention that this BETA is actually more stable, it seems than the 2.70 final, so maybe its time to get this mutha on the road

I agree -- we are at RC 4, and it's pretty much ready for release. The only things keeping it back are:
(1) to know for sure whether the "invalid handle" error with the screenshots module is now fixed
(2) the sprite corruption problems that have been reported occasionally

Pumaman

Ok, well I've uploaded the Final. It doens't look like we're going to get to the bottom of the sprite corruption for now, so I'd may as well release 2.71 since it has several worthwhile fixes.

This is the tentative final version. If no serious problems are found, I'll make it the Official 2.71 release.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk