AGS 3.2 Final 5 - Recession-busting edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 03/05/2009 15:34:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent R

@Joe Carl http://www.wikisend.com/
Temporary upload space (up to 90 days) for up to 100 MB.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 10/05/2009 23:03:08
If you're referring to the (X,Y) location that you used to be able to pass to PlayAmbientSound, then that is no longer supported. I wasn't sure whether anybody was actually using it; if so, it can make a comeback.

Please, do. I'm using a lot of ambient sounds with that, of course we can still use the old style speech for it. I'm not sure but perhaps a workaround with panning and volume might do it?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 11/05/2009 13:51:30
If you're referring to the (X,Y) location that you used to be able to pass to PlayAmbientSound, then that is no longer supported. I wasn't sure whether anybody was actually using it; if so, it can make a comeback.

Please, do. I'm using a lot of ambient sounds with that, of course we can still use the old style speech for it. I'm not sure but perhaps a workaround with panning and volume might do it?

I'd like to see the (X,Y) location for ambient sounds supported too if it's not too much trouble :).

GarageGothic

QuoteEdit: Also, are there any plans for allowing us to play back Speech audio through regular AudioClip functions -  something like aSpeechEgo1.Play()? Currently there seems to be no way of accessing those lines short of the normal Dialog/Say functions.

Speech has deliberately been kept separate from these audio changes, however some sort of PlaySpeech command may well be added later.

I'm crossing my fingers that this will be implemented eventually. It would be super neat to use the Panning feature to distinguish speaking characters by their position in the room, and direct access to voice files (instead of workarounds like temporarily moving the character to the current room and turning him invisible) would make it much cleaner to script for instance a dictaphone interface like the one in GK1. Not to mention that it would allow us to script background speech with voice without having to store the voice audio as sound effects.

Joe

Here is the link: DOWNLOAD

Thanks Trent.
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Pumaman

QuoteYes it should play a sound just when the game crashes. And compiled the game without modifiyng the code I used in AGS 3.1.2

Hmm interesting, maybe you could just upload the sound file that it was about to play? Is it just using a PlaySound command?

QuoteI'm sure lots of people use fixed locations for sound playback; I know I do.

Hmm ok, in that case it can make a comeback. Not sure why I'd got the idea that nobody was using it.

QuoteAlso, I was wondering if there's a flag in the audio settings to enable/disable looping so you can easily have a sound or music file repeat (I can't seem to find any info on it)?

Well, you can set the Repeat property on the audio clip in the editor, or specify it as one of the parameters to the Play command in the script. I'm not sure what else you might have in mind?

GarageGothic

CJ, could you please explain how the new AudioCache folder works? It seems that it stores all imported audio files so that the Sound and Music folders are obsolete once the game has been converted to 3.2? If this is the case, perhaps some kind of "Update from source" feature would be appreciated since the internal naming convention is far from transparent (e.g. au00000B.ogg).

Joe

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 11/05/2009 18:05:21
QuoteYes it should play a sound just when the game crashes. And compiled the game without modifiyng the code I used in AGS 3.1.2

Hmm interesting, maybe you could just upload the sound file that it was about to play? Is it just using a PlaySound command?

Never mind, I EDITED my last post and uploaded the full game source. And I dont know exactly which sound should be played when the game crashes since It should play more than one sound.

EDIT: Yes, I used PlaySound command, but now I've just realized the game crashes only some times, other times it does play the sound.
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Pumaman

QuoteCJ, could you please explain how the new AudioCache folder works? It seems that it stores all imported audio files so that the Sound and Music folders are obsolete once the game has been converted to 3.2? If this is the case, perhaps some kind of "Update from source" feature would be appreciated since the internal naming convention is far from transparent (e.g. au00000B.ogg).

When you add audio files, AGS makes a copy of them into the AudioCache folder. This is so that if you delete or move the originals, they will still be available in the game.

When you compile the game, AGS should automatically check the source audio files, and if they have changed it will automatically copy the new version into the AudioCache folder. So you should just be able to update your source sound files and they should automatically get pulled in next time you Run the game.

QuoteNever mind, I EDITED my last post and uploaded the full game source. And I dont know exactly which sound should be played when the game crashes since It should play more than one sound.

Thanks. What point in the game is it where it crashes? Is there any particular sequence of steps that I should take to reproduce the crash?

GarageGothic

Oh, excellent. I hadn't tried compiling, I just noticed that changed source files weren't updated in the cache after closing/restarting the editor. Thanks for the explanation.

Joe

QuoteThanks. What point in the game is it where it crashes? Is there any particular sequence of steps that I should take to reproduce the crash?

New game and start shooting faces, It should crash soon.
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteWell, you can set the Repeat property on the audio clip in the editor, or specify it as one of the parameters to the Play command in the script. I'm not sure what else you might have in mind?

A setting in the Play command works for me, I just couldn't find any reference to looping in the list of changes and haven't had time to download it yet :).

Pumaman

Quote from: Joe Carl on Mon 11/05/2009 23:44:16
New game and start shooting faces, It should crash soon.

Ok thanks, I think I know what might be causing this, I'll fix it for the next beta.

Joe

Copinstar © Oficial Site

Dualnames

Btw, I have this issue, that keeps bugging me, without having any speech files, a speech vox (1kb) is created and thus game considers speech is available. Is there a way to get rid of it from appearing every time I compile the game?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Trent R

I threw one of my projects in there and it compiled and played fine. But since I don't have any speech or sound files, I couldn't exactly play with the new functionality. Though I did read the manual entries on AudioClip and AudioChannel and I am excited. (those were the only new additions to the manual, right?)

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Yeppoh

Quote* handle other places that expect a sound number, eg. Score Sound, View Frame Sound

I met this situation. Indeed. I have assigned step sound on walk animations in the editor and the game crashes at that point. So I can't test the engine further for the moment. =P

I found two non-critical little bugs (and I noticed they were in the previous version of AGS too) :

Custom Proprieties Stop Character Editor Bug:
I created a Custom Propriety (for a Character) and the title string (called for Character.GetPropriety()) was too long. It was notified when compiling. Due to a stupid reflex I double-clicked on the error line to get automatically at the faulty line in the script. Of course there's isn't one, since it's in the editor API, thus nothing happened, visually. But... I couldn't open the Character Editor anymore to correct it in the Custom Propriety window.
I needed to re-start the AGS editor.

The Undo Bug:
In the GlobalScript, I wrote a null global String variable (let's call it 'htspt' - and without 'export' yet) outside any function; that is called/written in the on_mouse_click() and called/read in a function below. Compiled, tested. It was fine.
Then I considered it was maybe better to put that global String in another Script Module (let's call it sGamePlay) that was before the GlobalScript. So I cut (with Ctrl+X) the line containing the global String 'String htspt;' and pasted (Ctrl+V) into sGamePlay.
Then I reconsidered that it was maybe not a good idea and it was better leaving it in the GlobalScript; until that thought, I didn't do anything yet: no saving, no compiling, no adding 'export', no typing - excepting the Ctrl+V.
So instead of cut and pasting back again, I just undid (Ctrl+Z) what I did in both Scripts so that they were like they were before the change; the '*' disappeared in the tab. And I just pressed F5 to check.
The compiler returned me the error that the String 'htspt' token wasn't defined, although it was.
I needed to retype the line - not necessary the whole line, just partially; I had, for instance, to erase a character like the ';' and put it back. Then it worked fine.

Trent R

QuoteOf course there's isn't one, since it's in the editor API, thus nothing happened, visually.
IIRC, this should jump to other areas in the editor too, not just script lines. But of course, your case is an apparent bug, probably due to the fact that custom Properties pop up in an extra window.

~Trent

Pumaman

QuoteBtw, I have this issue, that keeps bugging me, without having any speech files, a speech vox (1kb) is created and thus game considers speech is available. Is there a way to get rid of it from appearing every time I compile the game?

You might have a .PAM file, or a syncdata.dat file in the game folder. If so, delete them and it should stop generating the VOX

QuoteI created a Custom Propriety (for a Character) and the title string (called for Character.GetPropriety()) was too long. It was notified when compiling. Due to a stupid reflex I double-clicked on the error line to get automatically at the faulty line in the script. Of course there's isn't one, since it's in the editor API, thus nothing happened, visually. But... I couldn't open the Character Editor anymore to correct it in the Custom Propriety window.

Hmm I couldn't replicate this problem. I created a custom property with a long name, got the error when compiling, double-clicked it and nothing happened. But then I could still carry on and open the Character Editor as normal...

QuoteThe Undo Bug:

Thanks for reporting this, I can replicate this and will look into it.

abstauber

There's bug with line numbering (which is present in 3.1.2 as well).

When using line-numbering in a custom dialog gui, the line numbers a being rendered as well.

When processing strings with
Code: ags
DialogToRender.GetOptionText();

it doesn't return line numbers (which is good), but
Code: ags
Surface.DrawStringWrapped()

displays the line number.

There's another one (or is it a feature request ;) )

The surface in a custom dialog doesn't support partial transparency.
So using the transparency parameter in Surface.DrawImage results in a partially pink surface.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk