AGS 3.3 Wishlist

Started by subspark, Tue 09/12/2008 03:34:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

SetRoomLocation sets the room location RELATIVE TO THE PLAYER.

so its worthless for footstep sounds.

monkey0506

But wouldn't setting the room location of a sound relative to a player effect panning of the sound unless the player was in an off-screen location?

Alan v.Drake

Also the only thing it changes is the volume, not the panning.

AudioChannel.SetRoomLocation(int x, int y)

Sets the currently playing audio to be a directional sound, eminating from (x,y).
The volume of the channel will be dynamically adjusted depending on how close the player character is to the co-ordinates. Therefore, as the player walks closer the volume will increase, and as they walk away the volume will decrease.

The channel's Volume setting sets the maximum possible volume when the player is standing on the specified co-ordinates.

Pass the co-ordinates as (0,0) to remove the directional effect and return this channel to playing at its normal volume.

monkey0506

Okay my mistake then. I either misread or assumed wrong about the function. It would be nice to have a function to automatically induce panning instead of manually having to calculate the panning level.

hedgefield

In XNA you can collapse different sections of the code, like if there's a lot of stuff in your "Controls" section that you don't want to look at right now, you can click the minus-sign and it will collapse.

To have something like that in AGS would be super super useful.

Wonkyth

Yes, touching up the code window a little would be nice, with proper collapsing and such.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

subspark

Yeah I'm all for that! Count me in!

Ryan Timothy B

A trivial and overall unimportant request, but definitely handy:

Notepad++ has a feature that where you double click something it highlights not only the word/variable/etc you clicked but it highlights all of them in the document that share the same spelling.  It makes it much easier to navigate and understand your scripts and such.

Every time I go back to AGS after writing some PHP scripts in Notepad++ I am always catching myself doing the double click without any results.  Then I immediately say "If only AGS had this feature". :P

It also highlights braces when you're near it, without the need of pressing CTRL+B.

subspark

I would like to see a default character starting coords property in the room editor for when you forget or refuse to script in changeroom coords manually. Makes testing between rooms easier.

Cheers,
Sparky.

Rulaman

What about a FaceCharacter-Property, beside the player starting room, x and y coordinates?
So you can set your character in the staring room at x,y and face it to an direction (Left, Right, Up, Down).
Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

SSH

These last two suggestions are easy to script. I'm puzzled why you think CJ's limited time is better doing this than something that can't be scripted.

hedgefield

Rulaman, I built a custom function to do that. It's not very flexible but it gets the job done. Feel free to PM me if you need help with that.

It would be useful to have it built-in, yes (and have the targeted character be dynamic, that's my biggest gripe with my own function - it only works on the PC), but I agree that it's low-priority right now.

subspark

QuoteThese last two suggestions are easy to script. I'm puzzled why you think CJ's limited time is better doing this than something that can't be scripted.
It's more about finding what ties in well with the existing features at least on CJ's part. For us, I started this thread in the hopes that even the most remotely viable suggestions (within reason) would have a chance to be reviewed.

There's actually quite a large pool of ideas that CJ might revisit even 4 years down the track. Our thread here is a valuable source of feedback on the average user that Chris can take and implement the best logical fits with AGS. He's certainly not short of ideas. ;)

Cheers,
Sparky.

Ryan Timothy B

I've noticed that Objects don't have an Object.Scaling option, or Object.ManualScaling.  But scaling seems to be possible with objects already since there is Object.IgnoreScaling.

It would be nice if scaling could be manually changed on objects - right now I'm just using drawingsurface resize, but that's not as pretty with direct3D running.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 26/05/2010 20:39:49It would be nice if scaling could be manually changed on objects - right now I'm just using drawingsurface resize, but that's not as pretty with direct3D running.

Seconded - I even suggested it myself a couple of years ago. Currently I've ended up using an array of Characters to replicate the Objects in a room, but it's an ugly workaround and as you say there doesn't seem to be any special reason for its absence.

Rulaman

What about a function to find out if a room exists?
Game.RoomExists(int room);

e.g.

if ( Game.RoomExists(23) )
{
 player.ChangeRoom(23);
}
else
{
 player.Say("Room not available.");
}

It is extremly useful in the development time.
If you have your Roomnumbers, but not implemented it, you can prevent an error and a program termination.

Edit:
What about a new debug level, where you can set the global variables.
Like the Teleport debug.
Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

Spire

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but the only thing I found from searching was from four years ago...

If 16:10 is to be supported as a native aspect ratio, then 16:9 should be as well.  I took a look in several local computer shops, and it is getting very difficult to find 16:10 monitors; 16:9 seems to be the new norm.

Would it not be possible to handle aspect ratios similar to the Monkey Island Special Editions?  That is, 16:9 is the native aspect ratio, and if your monitor is any other aspect ratio, the image is letterboxed.  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't mind the black bars at all, and it would eliminate the need to have different versions of artwork, or cropping the image.

subspark

Already suggested 'somewhere' but...

Properties that are editable during runtime.
We could then customize objects/hotspots/classes/etc during gameplay. Very cool.

Cheers,
Sparky.

Monsieur OUXX

An object type "Object", that does nothing. (not an Object as in "Object in the room's scene" - I mean an object as in "the common Object type that's in every OOP).

This would allow to add extender functions to something else than "String"

EDIT: I'm not making any sense.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 15/06/2010 16:43:48
This would allow to add extender functions to something else than "String"
You can already add extender functions to something else than String.

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 15/06/2010 16:43:48
I mean an object as in "the common Object type that's in every OOP
:-\
C++ has no "common" Object type, yet it's still an OOP language.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk