AGS 3D

Started by DoorKnobHandle, Sun 15/05/2005 15:21:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

Quote from: Jay on Wed 24/08/2005 06:20:55
After testing I found a sorting problem with Mika. After I first noticed it, it was a bit hard to duplicate, but I managed this screenshot (which is from a distance, but the first time I saw it it was closer).
That's odd - thanks for the report. I'll have a look at it.
(You must have a fast machine - 40FPS with a lot of stuff on screen at 640x480!)

Also, the ground is still always drawn last, and Scid's roof is still drawn first.
Right, if you look at the room script you can see they are drawn first, unsorted. It's a kind of optimization. I'll probably remove it for the roof since the sorting works better now.

The last thing I noticed is that when I turn collisions off and move in the air, I can't land on the blue blocks or the yellow sphere when I turn collisions on again.
Again, if you look in the room script those objects are marked as non-ground (and non-solid in the case of the sphere).

Oh - and there's a warnings.txt file that says "(in room 1): display_switch_out".
Interesting. I don't know what that means. Time for a search of the forums :)
[EDIT] Looks like that is written to the debug log if you switch away from the game. It only happens in debug mode, which I enabled for the FPS counter. Well spotted though!

edit: I tried to get a better screenshot of the Mika thing, and when I did, I noticed that I think it might be an issue with her baseline. (see here)

Well, her baseline *is* a little under her feet. I should probably do something about that. Good point. I think she's walking slightly through those blocks though. Which is just a scripting bug.

Gil,
Dixie was only a test character. Sorry about the tease!

I think this is nearly ready to go. Just a couple of little things:
- move objects over to work like characters, so you can use standard AGS functions to add and remove them
- maybe try to fix up the little glitches seen in Jay's screenshots
- clean up the interface functions
- tidy up the editor a bit and perhaps allow reading of scenes from text or binary files written from the editor
- make a module

Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

edmundito

Whoah, I had no idea this had evolved so much...

I demand that the default controls for movement are wasd!
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

NetMonkey - I thought that too, but relax, that's über-easy to change. :) In fact, the whole code is very user-friendly.

EDIT - Steve, that's amazing! One question, is it trivial to change the code ourselves to accomodate 8-direction characters?

EDIT 2 - I noticed that in edit mode we can't rotate, say, the bottles in Scid's bar. But I was wondering... couldn't it be done with that new sprite rotation function?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Edmundo on Wed 24/08/2005 07:03:49

I demand that they're not and as Rui says, they're easy to change ¬¬

Kweepa

Quote from: Edmundo on Wed 24/08/2005 07:03:49
There will be customization functions, do not worry.
The only problem is the editor uses WASD, but I should change that anyway.

...accomodate 8 direction characters?
8 direction characters are on my unwritten todo list. It's not trivial, but it's not difficult.
Also on the unwritten todo list is collisions with characters.

...sprite rotation...
I hadn't thought about it, but yeah, that should work just dandy. I'll check it out! Assuming, that is, that you can rotate AND scale.

[EDIT]
New version
- the engine automatically renders objects and characters using AGS's x, y coordinates as the X, Z coordinates and an additional Y for the height off the ground. Will need to rethink the coordinate system! Damn!

SSH

You do know that AGS has a built in z for characters, don't you?

Kweepa

So it does. I forgot about that.
Errr, it's an integer though. This one is a float.

Look! A cow's nest!

Gregjazz

By the way, in the starting places at the main outside room and Scid's bar, you can walk backwards and fall off the "cliff." I guess the starting places are too close to the edge.

Kweepa

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Wed 24/08/2005 18:43:38
By the way, in the starting places at the main outside room and Scid's bar, you can walk backwards and fall off the "cliff." I guess the starting places are too close to the edge.
Well spotted. I'll get it fixed.
Cheers!

Ishmael

I managed to exit the bar into the void by walking through the wall to the left of the backroom door... And I'm rather sure that collision detection was on. I had walked around the room a bit already, so I pretty surely wasn't "in the wall" already.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Kweepa

Dang. Still a bug in the collision detection then.
I'll see if I can reproduce it.
I thought I managed to walk through a corner once. Guess it wasn't my imagination... :(

Ishmael

It only happened once, though, which I forgot to mention.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ghormak

I happened to me too. Once. Somehow.

This is quality work anyway. Ran a lot smoother than I had thought it would. Nice job.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Al_Ninio

I pressed 'I' and 'J' many times and somehow managed to fly.
Then it crashed.

Awesome stuff.

strazer

The keyboard doesn't work with AGS games in the Windows emulator I'm using in Linux, so I couldn't test it until now.
Then I simply opened it in AGS v2.7, changed the new v2.71 String handling back and tried to compile it. It worked.
(Any other Linux users can download these binaries of version 20050822 here (615kb).)

Absolutely amazing!!

Kweepa

Quote from: Al_Ninio on Thu 25/08/2005 00:08:47
I pressed 'I' and 'J' many times and somehow managed to fly.
Then it crashed.

Awesome stuff.

I can't quite tell if that's sarcastic - so I'm going to assume it's not :=
I and J are controls to place primitives, which you end up 'standing' on the lower polygons of, which raises you up into the sky. I didn't put any checking in place to limit the number of primitives in the scene, but the limit is 60 and when you exceed that, boom.

strazer, Ghormak: Cheers!

[EDIT] Found the collision bug. I forgot to update the test position after the first collision, so sometimes sliding along one object would move you through a second. That's why hitting the doorframe just before the wall (but in the same update)  took you through the wall. Doh!

I haven't updated the zip because I'm in the middle of debugging the sorting, which still doesn't work quite right. So it will still happen but there's no need to report it. Unless it wasn't from running into a "corner".

Esseb

Awesomely pointless. I like it.

I'm not sure if the "falling into the void" bug has been mention. Happens to the left of the bar if you walk into the sky. Occasionally walking directly backwards at spawn (after you press F10) would make you fall also.

Kweepa

Quote from: Esseb on Thu 25/08/2005 22:13:37
Awesomely pointless. I like it.
Whaddaya mean, pointless? One could easily make a game with this. With action sequences! :P

I'm not sure if the "falling into the void" bug has been mention. Happens to the left of the bar if you walk into the sky.
If you turn on the editor, you can see that the blocking objects don't fill that space. So it's not a bug. It's a feature :)

Occasionally walking directly backwards at spawn (after you press F10) would make you fall also.
Aye, one of the Schlaepfers mentioned that. It's another feature - the spawn point is inside the blocking object.

monkey0506

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Wed 24/08/2005 19:06:39
Quote from: Geoffkhan on Wed 24/08/2005 18:43:38
Well spotted. I'll get it fixed.
Cheers!

Quote from: monkey_05_061 complaint though.  I don't like falling off the edge of the world.  Watching Dixie shrink infinitely until she ceased to exist...it was more than I could bear.

All this time I thought that it was intentional.

Gregjazz

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Thu 25/08/2005 22:33:49
Occasionally walking directly backwards at spawn (after you press F10) would make you fall also.
Aye, one of the Schlaepfers mentioned that. It's another feature - the spawn point is inside the blocking object.

I'm flattered by your correct spelling. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk