Italic and bold fonts?

Started by GarageGothic, Mon 23/06/2003 11:02:52

Previous topic - Next topic

GarageGothic

Is there any way at all to use italic or bold fonts within a message or dialog line otherwise consisting of a normal font? The reason I'm asking is that a lot of movie titles are mentioned in my game, and I'd like to avoid too many quotation marks.

MHawk

I don't know of any way to do it; of course, I'm fairly new myself.

If it's not possible it definitely would be a good feature.  You might want to post this in the technical forum as a suggestion, if you do indeed confirm that it's not possible in the current version of AGS.

Scummbuddy - If I'm not mistaken GarageGothic wants to be able to italize part of his dialog box not the whole thing.  I know that you can make an italic font and have the entire message be in italics, but I don't think AGS can only use one font for only part of a message and then a different part for the other half.  At least, if you can - I haven't found it!  (It would be a good feature (multiple font dialog boxes) that would add a lot of extra implementation while easily allowing bold and italics)

Scummbuddy

You would either need to find or make your own font.  Go to www.bripro.com and download the needed utility to make your own.  I did.  It took me a couple trys, but it was well worth it in the end.  Upload it to the fonts section of ags, then set the font you want to be used when you want it.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

GarageGothic

MHawk, thanks for your answer, yes that was what I meant. I figured out that it can't be done with the current version, because you are only allowed to use one font for all the dialog (all characters speak using the same font).

Erica McLane

You can always suggest this to CJ.

GarageGothic

I don't know if it worth wasting CJs time with. I don't think it's something too many people would have any use for.

MHawk

I'm sure that even if a lot of people don't need it right now - if it were to be implemented, I'm sure a lot of people would use it.  It would be great for emphasizing important words, especially names of objects or places that you want the player to go.  You should post this suggestion in the technical forum.

BlackBaron

Well, there's always the ALL CAPS method... ;)

I don't think I'll use it soon, but I think letting you use bolds and italics (or, more generally, different fonts) in the same message it's a good a idea and always a nice thing to have.
"Do you thirst for knowledge no matter the cost?"
            -Watrik, master glassblower

Pumaman

Nice suggestion, but I have to admit it's not a top priority. I'll add it to my list though.

GarageGothic

Thanks CJ.

Maybe when (if?) you implement the possibility to use different fonts with different characters, this could be added as well. I think the best way would be to use some kind of html-like code in the dialog text.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk