Problems running in Win 2000

Started by tgentry, Tue 13/05/2003 03:38:49

Previous topic - Next topic

tgentry

I can not seem to get a test to run under Windows 2000 using version 2.54.522, it goes black for a second then gives me an error saying I should
make sure that the file is in the right place (it is) and to check that the starting room should be verified (which I did).

I understand the version I have should be compatible. Can someone direct me to the solution to this? I really want to get started on my game!

scotch

What is the file and where is it?  Usually the error message is actually right :)

tgentry

when I saved the test it automatically put it under my projects folder in a new folder called compiled. I assume this is the correct folder (?). After it wouldn't run I put it in all of the folders and tried to run in those but no use. I can't find the background for the demo, so i loaded my own, put a walk zone in and it doesn't run. I used the older version a while back when I had 98 running. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

scotch

Doesn't it actually say the file that is missing?
Have you given whatever it is the game won't find the correct filename?  What is the file called?

tgentry

Ok i got it to load thanks! It was looking for room1 but it was just saved as room. It runs really slowly, even on my fast machine. Is there anyway to get the full 800x600 with 256 colors to run at a decent speed? The old version I ran seemed very smooth with this.  Thanks again for your help.

scotch

Hmm, never tried 800x600x256.. but any 800x600 res is slow unfortunately.. Not many games are made in that res.  Personally I avoid playing them, they are too slow for my system :(

tgentry

Thanks for the help again. I'll drop the res, hopefully i can keep the 256 colors.

Pumaman

How fast is your 'fast machine', out of interest?

I ask because I only have a 750 Mhz system, but I can run 800x600 at 16-bit colour at the full 40 fps in a basic room.

Is it actually running slowly, or does it just feel it (the default walking speed for the main character is a tad on the slow side). ie, does the mouse cursor move smoothly around the screen?

Try going to the Characters tab and turning up the movement speed of the character, see if that solves it for you.

(to get the frames per second printed out, add:

Debug(4,1);

to your game_start funciton in the global script).

tgentry

It's the cursor that goes really slowly, and the character too. I'm running a 1400mhz AMD with about a gig and half of RAM. I must just have it set up wrong, I can run most programs with no problems. I'll try out some things.

Scorpiorus

Remembering the speed tests we had carried out not so long ago, some people had a low (or limited) fps rate. That's strange as they have a fast enough CPUs and AGS doesn't use any video hardware acceleration.

Pumaman

Quote from: tgentry on Wed 14/05/2003 05:18:27
It's the cursor that goes really slowly, and the character too.

You mentioned that your game is 256-colour - are you sure that your imported background image is also 256-colour?

If you import a hi-colour image as the room background into a 256-colour game, it will run incredibly slowly.

Gilbert

You can import a hi-colour image into a 256 colour game?  :o Never know that. I thought that it's only possible if you import hi-colour images into a hi-colour game and then switch it back to 256 colour, that I also thought that the resultant won't ever work...

Pumaman

You're not supposed to, but it is possible to manage it by fiddling around with the colour depth settings and so on. Anyway, it's worth checking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk