Dwarf Fortress Dropping on Steam in 5 minutes

Started by Mandle, Tue 06/12/2022 13:55:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

I think the crazy bastards might be releasing it for free. EDIT: Nope... it's about $30 just got it.

Danvzare

I'm planning on getting it myself, because honestly, I've played the game so much already that it's already paid for itself.  (laugh)

But I'm going to get it on Itchio instead, because that way they get more of the money, and I get to avoid using Steam.  :-D
It's a win-win in my book.

EDIT:
Bought it, played it, now playing the previous version.
Maybe it's just me, but the new UI, while definitely a huge improvement, is such a chore to use.
I instinctively pressed "D" to start mining, but instead the screen went slightly to the right.

I went from being a pro to a complete amateur.  :~(
Seriously. It took me a good thirty minutes just to dig out a small hole and get my dwarfs to dump everything into a small pile in the middle of if. And for some reason, they wouldn't dump the stuff in the wagon.  ???
And for reference, I've been playing the game since just before Minecarts were added.

Well, here's hoping I manage to get used to it. Or at the very least, hopefully some modders put in all of the old keyboard shortcuts.
I'm sure it'll be a lot easier for newcomers to pick up though.

Mandle

I think you can remap all the hotkeys. Or did I imagine that?

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 08/12/2022 04:07:21I think you can remap all the hotkeys. Or did I imagine that?
Yep, you can. You can even put in the interface.txt file from the older version to instantly get most of the old hotkeys back. You can also enable keyboard cursor functionality in the settings. But doing both doesn't work perfectly, since moving the cursor will also move the map, unless you use the numpad. And you can't navigate the menus with the keyboard at all. It's a bit weird to say that Dwarf Fortress now REQUIRES a mouse to play.  ???

Thankfully, it seems as though I'm not the only one with more than a few gripes with the newest version. A quick glance at the DF forums and the Steam forums, and it's obvious that both veterans and newbies alike are finding the interface incredibly clunky.

Galen

FYI: Buying it from their Itch.io gets you a steam key and gives the dev more of your money. It even works out fractionally cheaper in the UK (by 0.29 GBP), at least assuming there aren't additional processing fees.

https://kitfoxgames.itch.io/dwarf-fortress

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk