EGA graphics, baby

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Fri 03/06/2016 16:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

I would like to share with you the quality of this EGA-style background.
Notice how they used the 16 colors to create :
- a brownish color scheme (the bear's fur)
- a cold light (blue tints -- that was the most used color scheme back then -- remember Melee Island in Monkey Island)
- a warm light (look at the f**ing corridor on the right!)
- a combination of warm and cold light (look at the reflections on the pilars/poles)

...and with all that, they managed to keep top-notch contrast and readability everywhere. And they didn't even overuse gradients.

Amazing.

Source : the book of unwritten tales 2

AnasAbdin

This background should be taught in schools.
In addition to what you mentioned, check out the shading of the books and the shelves :~(

thanks for sharing :)

Danvzare

Really great use of the EGA palette there. Which is quite an achivement considering how horrible I think the EGA palette is (it has no nostalgic value for me, I grew up with an Amiga).

And AnasAbdin is right, this background should be taught in schools (or at least art schools). This background alone is a perfect example of how to properly utilize the colours you have at your disposal.
I'd love to be able to do something like this.

Monsieur OUXX

There's even motherfucking antialiasing on the books in the top-right corner.

[delete}

[deleted]

Danvzare

Quote from: Amélie on Sat 04/06/2016 16:52:00
Since this is a discussion:  Actually, never liked EGA palette. And this screenshot may not be teached in art schools.  :P
I don't think anyone likes the EGA palette. Except the few people who grew up with it, but that's just nostalgia, and nostalgia can make you like anything.
The EGA palette is kind of good from a programmer's perspective, since it gives a lot of colour variance. But as any artist knows, it's not about colour variance, it's about how well the colours ramp, which is why the EGA palette is so completely horrible.

As for this being taught in art schools. I think it would be a good idea, since it teaches you how to use the colours you have, no matter how crap they may be. It also teaches pixel art, which in my opinion is a severally unappreciated artform.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 04/06/2016 17:22:12
Since this is a discussion:  Actually, never liked EGA palette. And this screenshot may not be teached in art schools.  :P
I don't think anyone likes the EGA palette.

Yeah that's my point: NO ONE like the EGA palette. And yet they managed to make something cool out of it. Even better than some poor VGA backgrounds. And that's why they should teach this bg in art schools: how do you maintain color warmth, contrast, and even saturation with a palette of 16 poorly-chosen colors? You don't. Unless you're the guy who drew this.

AnasAbdin

Man.. this thread made me dig up this video I saw last year:

[embed=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k[/embed]

Check it out around 3:18 (nod)

Danvzare

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sat 04/06/2016 17:57:16
Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 04/06/2016 17:22:12
I don't think anyone likes the EGA palette.

Yeah that's my point: NO ONE like the EGA palette. And yet they managed to make something cool out of it. Even better than some poor VGA backgrounds. And that's why they should teach this bg in art schools: how do you maintain color warmth, contrast, and even saturation with a palette of 16 poorly-chosen colors? You don't. Unless you're the guy who drew this.
Exactly! This is exactly what I've been trying to say! (nod)

Also, thanks for the video AnasAbdin, it was quite interesting and fun to watch. :-D

Fitz

I had a lot of fun with the palette in Magenta, as ugly as it is :) It may not be a good choice for a serious game -- but it seems to work with crazy, cartoony superhero comedy:

I have a webcomic in which I use palettes of three or four colors only -- usually highly contrasting ones, like yellow, red and blue -- so having 16 at my disposal is almost too much ;) They're ugly colors, yes, but I see it as a challenge to create something less-than-ugly with them. Not saying I've succeeded -- but after accepting that I have to use yellow for faces I've never really felt limited by the palette. I realize using spray-paint brush in 800x600 really for the backgrounds makes it easier to cheat the eye -- but I never use dithering in the character art.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk