City Interactive

Started by strangechicken, Thu 23/12/2010 16:08:07

Previous topic - Next topic

strangechicken

I have over the last few months, bought a few games off a company called "City Interactive" I recently played their mobile game "Crime Files." I also have a few of the "Chronicles of mystery" and "Art of murder" series. They seem to be spitting out game in very rapid sucession it would make Sierra sweat. Now "Crime files." wasn't bad, a bit bland and the story wasn't really the writing of Charles Cecil but being a mobile game it didn't have voice acting so I have no stance on that, so anyone who's played the pc games will have to give me their oppinion. But all in all I want your oppinions on their games and the companies game philosphy, I couldn't find much written overall anywhere else except reviews of the game themselves, I want to know about the much broader circle, are these games any good, are they buggy, are they worth playing or are they just cool to play in lack of anythng better?

Discuss!

Igor Hardy

I'd say the reviews are a great source of all that info you want.

If you want want to know City Interactive's overall philosophy, it's "make quick, sell cheap". But the adventure game series were their premium, "high budget" line and I think they are decent, entertaining pulp.

strangechicken

Quote from: Ascovel on Thu 23/12/2010 16:28:36
I'd say the reviews are a great source of all that info you want.

If you want want to know City Interactive's overall philosophy, it's "make quick, sell cheap". But the adventure game series were their premium, "high budget" line and I think they are decent, entertaining pulp.

I guess i'm askinh what should i expect overall from the games they releasedare there stories well written, beause i'm a sucker for a well written story or is it one of those "rent-a-storyline" Bland types where they kinda just tack on a storyline just to have on so they can sell it and not call it a puzzle game. Because their rapid fire release seems to suggest that they don't take much care in weaving an intricate tale. Most good stories take at least somewhere between 6 months and  a good year to work out. But City Interactive seem to be selling games faster than I can buy them, just when i think i have all of their series they release another one, its insanity.

Igor Hardy

They are like those pulp novels where the author is expected to write at least 2 novels a month (or make a MAGS game) - the plot may be quite intricate, but it doesn't always make sense, some parts have depth, others not so much, then there are parts that were cut out to make the deadline. The writing might be witty at one point, but cringe-worthy at another. Also, both series reuse lots of cliches and devices from old pulps (but that's part of the games' charm IMO).

Most importantly the English translations are usually weak (these game were originally written in Polish).

strangechicken

Quote from: Ascovel on Thu 23/12/2010 17:03:30
They are like those pulp novels where the author is expected to write at least 2 novels a month (or make a MAGS game) - the plot may be quite intricate, but it doesn't always make sense, some parts have depth, others not so much, then there are parts that were cut out to make the deadline. The writing might be witty at one point, but cringe-worthy at another. Also, both series reuse lots of cliches and devices from old pulps (but that's part of the games' charm IMO).

Most importantly the English translations are usually weak (these game were originally written in Polish).

thats pretty much what I wanted to know, thanks! I also noticed lots of obvious typos in the games documentation (Manuals etc.) so that makes sense now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk