Mittens 2007: Ontario, Canada (Update: Mar 21, 2007)

Started by Quintaros, Tue 10/10/2006 18:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

One other question -- will we need to bring sleeping bags or does the cabin come with bedding stuffs?

Quintaros

Bedding and towels will be provided by the cottage owners.

Baron

@ QUINTAROS:  Will our ETA of midnight in Bayfield affect taking possession of the cottage?

@ RENEGADE IMPLEMENTOR:  Good news! There's a really big book store (called Indigo, I think) at Yorkdale, and it's across the way from the extremely obvious Rain Forest Cafe.  We should set a time to meet in this in-between space, and everyone should wear blue cups in their lapels so that we will recognize each other.

@ IVY:  Affirmative and 10-4 on that, but every foreigner that's ever visited me has pestered me about it, so I kinda assumed....

@ THE CITY OF LONDON:  Pull up your socks, you big loser!  We're taking our business to Seaforth!

Disco

I am calling dibs on the hammock, with Darren as my witness.

You would-be hammockers should have looked at the website and spoken up sooner, huh? :D sucks to be you.

*Double stamped*

jetxl

Quote from: Disco on Sun 08/07/2007 07:23:34
I am calling dibs on the hammock, with Darren as my witness.

You would-be hammockers should have looked at the website and spoken up sooner, huh? :D sucks to be you.

*Double stamped*
Sleeping for 10 hours with a curved back . Body weight focusd on one vertebra. Having rope marks on your arms and legs for the rest of the day. Go knock yourself out,... seriously.

I'd like to ask thee 3 questions 3.
1: Is Trailer Park Boys a correct representation of Canadian culture?
2: Will there be a town nearby with a decent convenient store?
3: Any canadian do's and dont's?

LimpingFish

Do Canadians really say "ey?" at the end of every sentence?

Because I'll be severely disappointed if Strange Brew has been lying to me all these years. >:(

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

LUniqueDan

1: Is Trailer Park Boys a correct representation of Canadian culture?
No, only the R-version.

2: Will there be a town nearby with a decent convenient store?
The shack is located between Victoria and Saint-John's. While Saint-John's is more near, the grocery stores are more the kind of Victoria. I think they builted a supermarket lately.

3: Any canadian do's and dont's?
Never brutalize a beaver in front of a crowd. Don't feed the mounties, (just don't). When you'll met Donald Sutherland on the street, congratulate him for his last movie. And think of a
food offering for the Terry Fox statue.
And never forgot that Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are French days only. But I heard that judges are less prompt now to give death penality with tourists.

:P
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Quintaros

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 09/07/2007 01:30:57
Do Canadians really say "ey?" at the end of every sentence?

No, we say "eh?".  But we only use it to determine if the listener understands or agrees with us.  That makes sense, eh?

Dave Gilbert

I'm sorry to do this, but I'm going to have to bail at the last minute.  Brittens affected me more financially than I thought it would, and I'm afraid my wallet can't handle another trip.  So, anyway.  Maybe next year. :(

Scummbuddy

I'm sorry to hear that. How many games of yours would I have to buy to get you there?
And what about "If MattGobles going, then I'm going."   ;)

And I'm wondering how much of an inconvenience would it cause if I needed to fly out Thursday afternoon? Would we be able to go into town around the airport where I would leave you all and the rest of you would do some shopping or something?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Scummbuddy

Totally double-posting so that I can make sure the tickets I bought will work out.

-----------------------------------------------
Friday July 20th
Baltimore (BWI)--->Cleveland (CLE)
Depart 6:45 am--->Arrive 7:59 am

Cleveland (CLE)--->Toronto (YYZ)
Depart 11:35 am--->Arrive 12:42 pm
And I'll just hang around the airport trying to pick up Mitteneers and Canadian women until around 4 or so, right?

And then my return flight, a day earlier remember, and I hope it doesn't become quite the hassle...
Thursday July 26th
Toronto (YYZ)----->Cleveland (CLE)
Depart 3:00 pm--->Arrive 4:08 pm

Cleveland (CLE)--->Baltimore (BWI)
Depart 4:45 pm--->Arrive 6:04 pm

I'm coming back early, for I have a family trip up to upstate New York to see Cal Ripken Jr. get inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. I asked if I could just "meet them there" but no, I have to sit through the 6 hour drive practically all the way back from what would be like an hour drive from Mittens Home Base.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Baron

As I PMed Scummbuddy, the pick-up will be no problem but the early airport run is problematic for one person.  The reason being such a large van will be a bit of a gas guzzler, which makes it hard to financially justify the 500km round trip from Bayfield to the airport and back (there's also a surcharge if we do more than 1400 km in the week....).  We could solve this by either planning a Toronto day-trip for the Thursday (in which case we'd all be going anyway), or else finding a smaller vehicle for his return trip (i.e. folks coming with their own private cars).

Who's in for a Thoronto Thursday?

The Ivy

Sounds good to me. The only issue would be if we had all our luggage with us; obviously it would be a bit crowded, but we also wouldn't want anything to get stolen.

Domino

It sucks that i can't attend Mittens this year. I am only about 2 hours from Toronto from Buffalo. If the Mittens crew does go to Niagara Falls, i could show up. Hope everybody has a good time at Mittens, and take alot of pictures.

Shawn

Adamski

This will be the first Mittens since it's inception that I won't be able to attend. It fills me with sadness :(

Disco

Quote from: BaRoN on Sat 14/07/2007 02:57:06
As I PMed Scummbuddy, the pick-up will be no problem but the early airport run is problematic for one person.  The reason being such a large van will be a bit of a gas guzzler, which makes it hard to financially justify the 500km round trip from Bayfield to the airport and back (there's also a surcharge if we do more than 1400 km in the week....).  We could solve this by either planning a Toronto day-trip for the Thursday (in which case we'd all be going anyway), or else finding a smaller vehicle for his return trip (i.e. folks coming with their own private cars).

Who's in for a Thoronto Thursday?

Glad Scummbuddy is going and all, but how much is this extra running around going to be? Seems like every few posts plans have changed and sidetrips have been planned/suggested and I'm not quite certain what is happening anymore. Can we get an all-inclusive update from our host?

Also, would leaving a day early mean we are still paying for that night? what about Toronto accomodations for that many people?  ???

Quintaros

I'm not sure I really feel like the host anymore.  I mean I don't live in Ontario and so I did encourage other residents to make suggestions. 

If the consensus is that people really want to see Toronto, I can go with the flow but it definitely is not high on my list of to-dos.  We've rented a beautiful cabin in the woods and I think we should chill out and enjoy it. 

I guess my biggest issue is that my sense of fairplay is a little put off if everyone's plans have to be changed because 1 person made travel arrangements that didn't follow the planned schedule. 

Also I don't want a Toronto day trip on Thursday to end with the locals going home Thursday night and BaRoN dropping all the traveller's off at the airport to crash there for 16hours until the fly out the next day.  If someone living in Toronto can provide a place for everyone to crash, I'm a lot more open to the idea.

Anyway...let's hear some more opinions.

Grundislav

I would like to see Toronto, but preferably as a day trip during the week and not a rush job at the end with everyone's luggage to worry about.

I agree with Quintaros, if someone can put us up in Toronto I'd be a lot more open to doing it at the end.  I don't want to lose the money for our last day in the cabin and on top of that have to spend more on a hotel room.

Pumaman

Well, potentially we could just do a day trip into Toronto on Thursday and then come back to the cabin for the night, then return to the airport on Friday (since there seems to be a plan to do that one day, anyway). That'd be a lot of travelling in a short period of time, though ... how long do we think it would take to get from Toronto to the cabin and vice-versa?

Anyway, we can always discuss this once we are actually at Mittens, unless it's something we really need to arrange in advance?

QuoteI'm sorry to do this, but I'm going to have to bail at the last minute.  Brittens affected me more financially than I thought it would, and I'm afraid my wallet can't handle another trip.  So, anyway.  Maybe next year. 

Awww ... sorry to hear that, Dave :(  We'll make some sort of effigy of you, and prop it up on a chair doing a two-fingered salute.

Also, BaRoN, could you PM us your mobile phone number in case we can't find you at the airport. Do we need to arrange the specifics of where you're going to pick us up, or is it your plan to park somewhere and come and find us?

jetxl

Quote from: Quintaros on Sat 14/07/2007 19:06:07
We've rented a beautiful cabin in the woods and I think we should chill out and enjoy it. 
I second that. We never plan anything on a mittens.

Toronto isn't close from where we camp. Detroit is just as far by the looks of it.
I'm sure that with a fire pit and childrens playground there is enough entertainment for 1 week. And if we do get bored, we can summon the dead by playing the tape recorder in the basement (or play Zombies!!!).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk