Mittens 2009: Pre-Planning *Updated 1/25/09* Location Question

Started by Grundislav, Sun 28/09/2008 00:29:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I see where Pablo is coming from, and if no one else can then it's pretty unfortunate.  Such a large volume of people drink and think drinking is 'normal' that they tend to treat people who don't as strange, though that's never bothered me.  I've never been the type of person to really care what anyone thinks of me, but there are people who do and who feel uncomfortable in situations where they're surrounded by people doing something that they're not. 

Nacho, I really think you need to calm down with the whole alcohol thing, because you seem to be the only person really getting worked up about it.

It's like I was telling Francisco, if EVERYONE ELSE decides to go to a bar that won't bother me just as long as they don't have a fit because I stay back somewhere and fiddle around with my laptop or whatever.  Everyone has things they approve of and enjoy doing, and everyone has things they don't approve of and don't like doing. 

Let's just leave it at that.

Nacho

I was kidding... That' s why I used emoticons. ^_^ I don' t give importance to this topic at all because I know it won't be a problem at all.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

LimpingFish

People who define a good time by the amount of alcohol they consume, or that consumption of said alcohol is a requisite for a good time, are not the type of people I waste time with. It's nothing personal, it's just that my tolerance for people goes down as their alcohol level goes up.

I'll have a friendly ale, or even two, if the mood takes me. But that mood is fleeting, and a rare occurrence.

There is no shame or stigma in saying "Thanks guys, I'll sit this one out." and anybody who claims otherwise is a gobshite.

Smokers, on the other hand, are pure evil, and only deserving of vigorous tongue-clucking and enraged booing.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Pumaman

When did everyone get so bitchy about this? Before long it'll be a Hate Crime to criticise somebody on the basis of whether they drink alcohol...

Anyway it feels like we've been round in circles about this topic enough times by now, can everyone just drop it please?!?

Ubel

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 22/10/2008 23:02:02
When did everyone get so bitchy about this? Before long it'll be a Hate Crime to criticise somebody on the basis of whether they drink alcohol...

I don't think anyone was being bitchy. I know I wasn't. I think this is all a matter of everyone misinterpreting everyone as hostile because they bring this topic up. :P Nobody was deliberately trying to sound hostile or bitchy or in any way negative about the subject. Although I admit this is probably not the best place to discuss this and I shouldn't even post about it anymore, but whatever.

Again, peace and flowers.

Becky

Basically Pablo, yes, there will be people there who won't be drinking, so don't worry about feeling awkward ;)  Plus, if you think being sober with drinkers is awkward, try being one of the few token females at a sausagefest ;)  Really, it's all fine.

Miez

Also (but speaking from a limited perspective, as I've only been to 1 Mittens boozefest meeting) the current discussion makes it come across as a week drenched with alcohol from dusk 'till dawn. That's really not what it's like at all, rest assured. 

Andail

I'll try - again - to be there, especially since the dates seem to fit me much better this time.

And I'll drink as much or as little alcohol as I find fitting.

Play_Pretend

Becky: But what about seeing it from *our* side?  Do you know how hard it is being a real gentleman and knowing that the token females in the 'fest just think you're trying to purvey your sausage upon them?  I swear, someday when men have equal rights to women, we're going to vote for sweeping reform of this sexist oppression!  Burn the boxer brief!

Although I do have to say, I'm one of those guys that really only gets along with women. :)  I almost never have guy friends, even though I'm really laidback and friendly.  I think it's my problems with male "authority" figures.

And I'm cool on the alcohol thing...I just got the apparently wrong impression that a lot of drinking would be going on all around, and I've always been out of place in that situation.  Despite how easy-peasy I take life and people, one of the few extreme views I do subscribe to is my anti-smoking soapbox.  I won't get in anyone's face, I'd just be stuck outside 24-7 if people were going to be smoking in the house, or I'd politely leave the room if someone trailing secondhand came in and stood near me.  So I just wanted to ask before I bought any tickets.  (This has been hyper-compounded by the last 7 months I've spent with my upstairs neighbor's smoke actually pouring down through my apt.'s air vents somehow and making my place smell nasty and killing me allergy-wise.)  So I'm even more tetchy about it than usual, but I'd still be polite and not say anything to my brother (and token sista) AGS'ers. :)

Nacho

I am sick of smoke... It' s true, I am not trying to be bitchy, offend the smokers, or exaggerate. I am phisically sick when I smell it.

But I can tell you that mittens takes place in open spaces, and people is extremelly polite when smoke... Actually, nobody smokes like a chimney here... I don' t know what they do in "normal live", maybe it's  the natural atmosphere, or that they don' t feel good smoking when they are a minority, but I don' t remember someone smoking more than 5 or 6 ciggies per day.

So, another problem not to care about! :) Let' s move.

SSH

Quote from: Mods on Wed 22/10/2008 17:25:30
at the end of the day every Mittens event is effectively one big pub

So that means you'll go and stand outside to smoke?  ;) ;) ;)

m0ds

Sorry, I meant like a foreign pub with no smoking ban ;)

MrColossal

I do not drink. I have been to 3 Mittens. They have been some of the best times I've had as an adult.

CASE: CLOSED
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Layabout

Quote from: MrColossal on Thu 23/10/2008 15:26:44
I do not drink. I have been to 3 Mittens. They have been some of the best times I've had as an adult.

CASE: CLOSED

Nacho violated you as well? I thought I was the only one!
I am Jean-Pierre.

Pumaman

We all bear the scars of Nacho's advances.

Miez

Snake

I had a dream once that m0ds and I met. We were hanging out on the porch, having some beers, and my wife  kept asking me when he was leaving.
Don't know if this has any relevance to the thread or not, I just figured I'd throw that in there.

I quit smoking 2 months ago, so I wouldn't be smoking. But it wouldn't bother me to be around other people that would be.
Drinking on the other hand, yes, I would be drinking... in moderation of course. I'd try to keep myself with the same pace as everyone else and not get drunk prematurally.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

AGA

Quote from: Mods on Thu 23/10/2008 15:02:00
Sorry, I meant like a foreign pub with no smoking ban ;)

Apparently Florida has smoking in bars, but it's banned in most other public places.

Nacho

I only violate people whose couple is:

A)Inexistent.
B)More than 1,000 kms. away.

Eric' s girlfriend was there, so, I would have never dare to touch him.

Disco

Well I am offended. My couple is inexistent and depending on what is involved in "violating", I might perhaps be at least semi-willing. What gives?  >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk