Mittens 2014 Portugal - 19-26 July

Started by cat, Tue 07/01/2014 09:40:59

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

I should have added this smiley :P

From Disco's Portugal villas Cascais and Sesimbra look nice, I think

AGA

Added a poll.  Didn't give a multiple preferences option, since that will only end up resulting in a draw.  Choose your favourite!

m0ds

LOL. There seems to be an option missing, BERIANS MUMS HOUSE WITH SMELLY DOG!!

cat

I'd love to go to Croatia or Portugal but I'm not too fond of the Netherlands (a week at a sunny pool is just much more appealing)

AGA

Quote from: Mods on Sun 26/01/2014 01:30:26
LOL. There seems to be an option missing, BERIANS MUMS HOUSE WITH SMELLY DOG!!

Both those dogs have been dead for like three years, so they're definitely smelly by now...

Snarky

Yeah, I'm also pretty un-keen on the Netherlands (for Mittens â€" I'm all for it in general). Sun and warmth is the thing!

tampie85

Please also take into account that most Dutch villas are in a rural area, about 2h with public transport from the nearest airport with non frequent busses (once an hour). You will be far away from big cities like Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht or The Hague. Swimming pools are also not that common and the chance is quite big that it's too rainy/cold to swim.

It's also a lot more expensive than the other two options (supermarkets, trips, activities, etc.).

This is a Dutch site with options, but I like them less than the Croatia/Portugal ones:
http://www.grote-vakantiehuizen.com/search

abstauber

I'm all for the Netherlands, although I doubt that I can make it this year :~(

arj0n

m0ds

D'oh! Still mowing that lawn, Dirk? ???

I'm not committing in or out but did spend a few hours yesterday following up Ken's lists, looking through websites for myself and stuff. When you get down to the details I have to admit Croatia and Portugal are really low on my desirable list, esp if trying to accommodate 20 people with any kind of ease.

So who is likely to drive, because hire cars look extremely necessary for either Portugal or Croatia. Can't imagine anyone would drive (from home) to either place? The big group options for Croatia are rapidly declining (in availability), and I have to say, they don't seem to have a very good grasp on accommodating large groups. Portugal looks like it'll be a lot of hot tiring travel to get to anywhere we want to be. Same for Croatia, the venues are really far from the airports. I also found it hard to find any flights into Croatia (from the UK) but I guess that's a basic judgement without knowing dates.

So IMHO, Croatia and Portugal just don't seem practical. Have you folks anything different if you've looked into it? None of the villas appear to be along any major rail routes or anything. I think it's best to choose somewhere on a practical basis (now that I'm getting older, lol), not just, book there, now try and get there. If I knew there was a 10 hour bus ride involved I'd probably just go to Cornwall instead ;) But that's how I see Mittens nowadays, like people saw tents being out of the question, I think ridiculous travel arrangements are also along that line these days. Just my view tho...

Germany, people could drive from all around and the transport connections were A+. Netherlands, we can all reach easy as pie for cheap and move around with ease, and again drivers. In fact go back several years and there hasn't been the desire to go somewhere quite as remote as Croatia. Why this time? :P Don't get me wrong, I wish one of those Croatian villas would just stand out, but once you've looked through them, and realize only one of them is available, and it's not even a very nice place or easy to reach, it makes you wonder... are we making the right choice? I realize it's early days... but if all these places are booked already... we do need to get thinking!

Perhaps Mittens has come along far enough where we can just enjoy finding somewhere easy to reach that just meets our requirements? We want sun and pool, to relax, and hundreds of places offer that. Ultimately there's no reason to go to somewhere (ie Croatia) anymore just to notch up a new destination "woz 'ere" for Mittens is there? As we know, we're not going there to meet anyone, to big up the AGS croatia crew or anything (is there one?).

For example, what about Tenerife? Easy for everyone to get to, cheap travel, sun, pool, ocean views, big villas that actually want to accommodate big groups, likely taxi from airport to villa etc... Like this one, with an INFINITY POOL! http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p109825tr#summary

or these
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1100968
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p50915tr

Much less expensive than Croatia, mod cons, easy to reach by rental car, plane etc. Some night life, chance to explore some island etc. or Corfu?

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1238125

or some other island or something? Just somewhere with a tad more options and travel connections?

Maybe you guys have some other ideas, but I think it's worth everyone interested looks into the Croatia stuff and considers how we might actually get there (and of course, finding a villa that is actually available and can support our large number?). Also the drivers aspect. Will we have CJ? I for one won't drive in Cro/Portugal (sorry) but I would somewhere like Tenerife (where there's only one road, LOL). But then perhaps, numbers will decline and one of the say 14 people locations could be booked. In honesty, I'm about 15% interested in Croatia at this point, and 10% interested in Portugal, especially after looking into all the villas on offer, the location, travel arrangements etc. I'll go on an easy Mittens holiday, not one with hot, bothersome traveling etc to tiny remote place I doubt. Just my thoughts, like I say, not committing either way at this point :)

AGA

Tenerife?  How very English of you.  For me Mittens is about more than lazing around in the sun by the pool, so a bit of travelling really doesn't put me off at all.  To me, Croatia sounds a lot more interesting than anywhere else mentioned so far.  And price doesn't really matter, no Mittens is every particularly expensive.

Oh, and CJ is almost guaranteed to come if it's Croatia, but a lot less likely anywhere else.

m0ds

Then we need to get a rough figures of numbers immediately, like I say, there's literally only one villa available in Croatia at the moment for any group size over 14. And I looked on various other sites other than Ken's list, and they all have the same villas, and a few other ones that are already booked throughout July and August. Or you or someone else needs to find some further options pretty soon :) High season, place of high demand, place that doesn't provide many group options... Who are we looking at? Time to get our likely list I guess...?

Bicilotti also mentioned Malta. I have to agree on that one!!

likely for CROATIA
==================
AGA
Cat + Bernhard
Arjon + Tamara
Esseb
Disco
Snarky
CJ + 1
(10)

shown interest
==============
bicilotti
Andail
Mods
Grim
Abstauber + Christina
DKH
Grundislav?
MillsJRoss
Radiant
(10)

location specific
=================
Adeel
Ghost
Wyz
(3)

Total: 23

And yes, pretty British. If a small group makes it easier for people to holiday in Croatia, I'm happy to stand back so that you could get a nice 12-14 people spot (there are plenty of those and many still available) & hold a Brittens for those that can't make it. In Tenerife ;) There was one option of two adjoined villas, both with pools, both part of the package but seperated with a bush and fence and appeared to be in the middle of an estate somewhere, but I can't find that link, that seemed like an okay alternative for supporting a large group. Again, there was only one option I could find across the whole interwebs.

Main point is, it looks like there won't be ANYWHERE to go in Croatia as a single group above 14 if some decisions aren't made soon.

tampie85

I chose Croatia by lack of other choice, Tenerife and Malta are very nice options!

cat

Quote from: Mods on Mon 27/01/2014 17:07:55
Then we need to get a rough figures of numbers immediately, like I say, there's literally only one villa available in Croatia at the moment for any group size over 14.
I posted some villas that still seem to be available (ok, one of them is ugly :P). I agree though, that we shouldn't wait too long until booking.

If it is in Croatia, we will definitely drive (having 4 free spots), but flight options might be limited indeed. The Portugal options seem to be close to Lisbon with an international Airport and rental cars, so no problem here. If we are going to Tenerif we would need a rental car as well, so this is not a valid point for me.

arj0n

Quote from: cat on Mon 27/01/2014 17:46:36
I agree though, that we shouldn't wait too long until booking.
True
Quote from: cat on Mon 27/01/2014 17:46:36If it is in Croatia, we will definitely drive (having 4 free spots), but flight options might be limited indeed.

Croatia sound OK to me. I have really no idea though if the public transportation is alright (also for traveling between airport and the villa). Can you say something about that Cat?
(Edit: in germany it was nice having the tram that close to be able to go somewhere)

And, sorry for kicking an open door probably  ;), it would probably be nice too if the villa comes with bikes and if if the location is 'near' some nice cities/villages, to go see things
(and/or having the ability to go out for a diner or something) and for those who wants to go do some activities in the area (think canoing, bowling, mini-golf, whatever)

AGA

I think Portugal would work, especially if it's close to the capital so we can combine city stuff with lazy stuff, as we did at Berlin.

It looks like Croatia isn't too practical for so many people, especially if the transport links aren't so good.

I will say that last year was one of only two Mittens I remember that had bikes.  Probably not a good idea to only be searching for locations that can fit so many people, and also have bikes!

tampie85

For Portugal, I've found some interesting places:

http://www.waytostay.com/lisbon-apartments/avenida-terrace-6720/
Available 19 u/I 27th July, 3,468.00. About half an hour from Lisbon Airport

http://www.waytostay.com/lisbon-apartments/angola-ii-9291/?arrivalDate=2014-07-19&departureDate=2014-07-27&numberOfPeople=20&city=33
Available 19 u/I 27th July, 3,831.84. About half an hour from Lisbon Airport

They don't have a swimming pool, but it's in Lisbon, so there should be plenty to do and there seems to be a beach nearby.
I also looked at plenty other options (both via Faro airport as Lisbon Airport), but they all seem not to be reachable via public transport (checked via maps.google.com)
Public Transport in Lisbon seems to be quite good (similar to Germany)

Since Croatia seems not to be practical for so many people, this may be a realistic villa/location.
I'd like to change my vote to Portugal.

What do you think of it?

cat

Honestly, I don't think an appartment is a good idea. There should be at least some kind of private garden so I think a house is a must.

I'm not sure if public transport is really that important, there wasn't much in Italy either. An airport is necessary which is probably difficult in Croatia.

I think neither Croatia nor Portugal, Tenerif or the Netherlands (according to Tamara) offer lots of public transport in rural areas (where houses of our size usually are). Are there strong opinions against renting cars?

AGA

I can't drive, but I'm happy to pay my share to be driven around!

tampie85

You're right about that Cat, didn't think of that.
If rental cars are an option, maybe this is too.
Didn't check it in detail yet, but 'castle' sounds interesting. Up to 24 persons.
http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p2089254

Personally I prefer not to be a driver of a rental car, but I think it's also a good option.
Arjon doesn't mind to drive though.

But what will be the definitive choice?
I think it's good to pinpoint at least a country as soon as possible.

With rental cars the options of Mods and Bici are also a possibility

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk