Mittens 2024 booked! Chipping Campden, England, 26/07 - 02/08

Started by AGA, Mon 01/01/2024 20:46:46

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

The last Mittens was in 2019; we had one organised for 2020, but it was cancelled due to Covid.  Since then we haven't been able to organise one succesfully, so let's try again!

Does anyone have any suggested locations?  The last one was meant to be in The Cotswolds, England.

Also when?  @tampie85  and I have a school aged child, so would prefer this be during the summer holiday (23rd Jul - 2nd Sep).

There's also the question of said child.  Does anyone have a strong opinion on whether or not children should be allowed to attend?  Our son is very well behaved, a good sleeper, so unlikely to be much of a bother!  We could look into alternative accommodation nearby if it's a definite no though.

Tagging in previous Mittens attendees @2ma2 @abstauber @Adamski @Andail @arj0n @bicilotti @cat @Chrille @Creed Malay @Darth Mandarb @Dave Gilbert @ddq @Disco @DoorKnobHandle @edmundito @Esseb @Nacho @Finkenstein @FruitTree @Goldmund @Grundislav @Helm @Jake @JanetC @Jet @KANDYMAN-IAC @Kevbot @Kira @lackey @Layabout @LimpingFish @MachineElf @magintz @Matt Goble @Miez @MillsJROSS @Monsieur OUXX @MrColossal @noavana @Pesty @Pet Terry @Privateer Puddin' @Pumaman @Quintaros @Radiant @raeff @Renegade Implementor @scotch @Scummbuddy @SeventhBard @Sinitrena @Snarky @Sylpher @Matt Frith @tzachs @violetnotpurple @viporizer @Wiggy @yamipanda

Interested Parties
  • AGA
  • Creamy
  • Disco
  • Matt Frith
  • Privateer Puddin'
  • scotch
  • Snarky (unavailable 7–10 August)
  • tampie85
(8)

MillsJROSS

Sadly not in the cards for us in 2024. Expecting a new baby this year and it's going to throw a wrench in our ability to do much of anything.

While I'm not attending this year, in general, I don't mind having kids around. Some of us were pretty much a kids when we went to our first mittens and it's only natural this event changes as we do.

Hope ya'll get enough interest this year.

Disco

Pending a passport renewal, I will happily attend wherever the location may be  ;-D

It would be different having children present for sure, but to me it is more important that we maintain the friendships and adventures that we have enjoyed over the years, especially after a long unintended break.

If I had to state a preference it would be to have nearby accomodations, but I am okay with being under the same roof.

cat

Mittens would be fun. However, my kids don't really speak English. I think they would be bored spending a week with people and other children they don't understand  :(

tampie85

My own experience has been positive in a similar situation.

Our son doesn't really speak Dutch, but when we go back home he interacts with the Dutch speaking children of my friends. Surprisingly, they find their own ways to communicate and spend time together (he loves going back home and playing with them). Children often have a remarkable ability to overcome language differences through play and non-verbal communication.

Of course, every child is different, and you know your children's comfort levels best.

cat

Ah, this is good to hear. I'm sure they would enjoy a week in a house with other kids if they can somehow get along without English. Put us on the "Interested" list.

Of course, it would be okay for me to make a separate with-kids and no-kids house and meet during the day. But I guess this depends on how many people are actually going to attend.

Snarky

I would love if we could make it happen this year!

I'm going to a music festival 7–10 August, but otherwise have no holiday plans as yet. I would definitely be up for another go at the Cotswolds: recycling an earlier, unused plan appeals both to my laziness and to my completionism. And it's an easy destination for me. In any case, I support whatever option has the best chance of happening.

As for kids, I think with so many AGSers having them we should definitely arrange so people can bring them. Whether everyone stays together or some have separate accommodation nearby is fine either way by me; whatever works best for the families concerned.

Creamy

I'd be game to try the Cotswolds again. Hopefully, that won't cause a space-time continuum breach and bring back the COVID epidemic.

I don't mind having kids around either (unless they're pesky :P)

abstauber

I'm afraid Christina and I already booked our whole vacation time. We'll be in Finland for 6 weeks. But in the rare case that Mittens would happens in Finland during August ...  (roll)

cat

That's a pity. Although Finland would be fine for me as well  ;)

AGA

If we were interested in finally going ahead with 2020's booking, the place sleeps up to 10 people, and is still available plenty over the summer.  Bookings have to be made Friday - Friday, just to warn you.  £2,750 total for a week.

Privateer Puddin'

Interested, but won't know for sure until later what's going on. Might be I just pop in to visit if it's UK

cat

I talked to my kids and they don't want to go to Mittens  :(
I also think that the house and town - while absolutely beautiful and interesting for adults - are not suited for my children.

Maybe next year it will be different, but for this year, we are sadly not going.

edmundito

@AGA Thanks for mentioning me on the thread! I do think it's a great idea to continue with the plan from 2020.

I'd love to attend another Mittens someday, but I can't this year. Most likely, I'd come if it was set in North America or Spain (because I have family there).

I'm hoping to come to AdventureX this November, though. Maybe we can set up a little AGS meetup before or after the event? (I can start a separate thread about this when we get closer to that date)
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Andail

I'd love to make an appearance and catch up with old mitteneers, but I probably won't be able to spend a full week anywhere, with or without the wife and kids!

scotch

I'd love to meet up, and that area makes sense for me if I combine it with a visit to my family. Like everyone, I have more life commitments now so it's hard to be sure but I will look into it and I do think that part of the year makes sense for me. I am in California and I haven't been back home in far too long.

I don't have a major objection to children being about if that makes it practical for more people to attend.

Matt Frith

Hello, I just saw this thread! I'd put myself down as interested but can't say 100% just yet (although I am likely to be free during the dates AGA suggested). Somewhere in the area of the original 2020 plan would be fine by me. Thanks for tagging me.

Edit: No objection to children

The Great Underground Empire

Aw man, I'd love to finally meet you all after 18-ish years lurk-ticipating around here.  :grin:

Unfortunately I scheduled all my vacation time for the year - we're finally meeting my nephew and nieces born starting right when the pandemic started, and then in a couple months we're finally moving to a bigger place.

But if Mittens 2025 happens, I'll try to hold some vacation in reserve!  Have fun everyone else!

HanaIndiana

Oh I've always wanted to attend one and meet fellow AGSers (even though I've become more of a lurker of late). I would try to attend if in the U.S., but probably need to sit it out for 2024.

Snarky

So, we have a list of 8 interested, and it sounds like most of us would be ready to commit. I think we should go ahead before people make other plans (which is probably already happening). It's only AGA and tampie with kids, right?

AGA

Read my mind!  I literally have a reminder in my calendar for today to pursue this topic.

The house is available Fridays to Fridays, at £2,750 per week (~£300pp with the current numbers).  At first impressions, they seem to be available from Friday 26th July to Friday 30th August, which is all the dates my family could do anyway.  Is everyone still open if we said 26th July - 2nd August, for instance?

@Creamy @Disco @Matt Frith @Privateer Puddin' @scotch @Snarky

Snarky

That looks ideal for me, so I'm a yes.

Creamy

It should be ok for me. I may arrive on Saturday.

Matt Frith

Hey, sorry for the late reply! Those dates sound great for me! Count me in :)

Disco

Those days should work fine for me :D

AGA

Miez

Sorry for a verrrrrry late reply - I won't be able to do this year, but if there's an Mittens '25 in the works: count me in! :D
Have a great time all!

AGA

I've been struggling to pin down scotch, but I've booked the venue now either way.

Mittens 2024 (aka Mittens 2020, resurrected!) will be in Chipping Campden, England, from Friday 26th July - Friday 2nd August!

I'll send a PM to attendees with further detail.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk