Nimbus! - AGS Steam - PreAlpha release

Started by Calin Leafshade, Wed 18/08/2010 16:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

Ok new version fixes all the errors above (except the maximize button graphic) plus a couple more that i have found since.

http://www.thethoughtradar.com/Nexus/NexusPreAlpha2.zip

Right click on the game allows a delete option from the context menu.

arj0n

NexusPreAlpha2 works like a charm on WinXP.
When nexus is minimized it uses about 6500 kb
when in front it uses 30000 to 40000 kb

Didn't need to create the nexis dir in MyDocs manually.
But maybe that bug only appeared using NexusPreAlpha1 and has been fixed in NexusPreAlpha2... :D

Calin Leafshade

Igor Hardy

Works great on my XP! :D Congratulations on creating the new (better) Steam!

Now testing if there's anything different in Snakes of Avalon when started via Nexus - can't get enough of that game for some reason.

Ali

Great work, running smoothly on Win 7 64bit Home Edition!

Not wanting to sound self involved... but I immediately searched for Nelly Cootalot and I noticed the screenshot was squashed vertically. When you have the time, could you sort it out? Because it makes Nelly look fat and I could get into trouble with the missus.

Peder 🚀

Now that is something I will have to do Ali ;). I shall see why the thumb code haven't done a better job ;)

[EDIT]
It was a setting that was set to false so if an image was smaller than the screenshot size on the page it would not resize it at all. Now I might change how it displays the screenshot so if the original file is smaller than the screenshot size it will show the original size centered within a black box.

Buckethead

I've downloaded Snakes of Avalon and A night to remember with Nexus. Both worked like a charm. However, snakes tried to start in a really high resolution that my laptop doesn't support. This was easily fixed with the setup option though.

mode7

It really works great - this is a great piece of software which makes it so much easier to load and keept track of your ags games.
Only complaint: Why aren't my games on there?

tzachs

As someone who has never used Steam... How do I download games?
When I press on "Install via Nexus", all I see is a blank page, and nothing happens.  ???

Also, the right side of the page seems to be cut, including the border of the window, here's a screenshot.

Using WinXP.

Stupot

This is sweet!
One question.  Is there a way of getting games that we already have to work in Nexus, or would we have to download them again? Ta :D

Monsieur OUXX

Call to the admins: This should be quickly integrated to the website or wherever it belongs, so that it doesn't stay a "hidden" feature, reserved for the forum crawlers.

JJS

Since this an early version, I am not sure what kind of feedback is needed but:

- If you start a game download and quit Nexus before it finishes, the game vanishes from the game list and the partial download stays on disk.
- If a game is removed from the list while it downloads, the download continues in the background. It is possible to readd the game to the list, but it will not show the download status or the name. When eventually the game is downloaded it will be unpacked. If you then again click on the "install game" button, it will reappear in the game list.
- Deleting a game only removes the folder, not the download archive.
- Regarding the last point: Maybe there could be an option to have a downloaded game "uninstalled" (i.e. not unpacked) but still appearing in the menu (as "preloaded" or something). That way it would be quick to reinstall it without another download.
- Sometimes, a game will not be successfully added to the list if you try to install it. There will be a list entry created, but it its description is empty. Also no file is downloaded. When you click on it, it will take you to the games page though. This seems to occur at random.
- Running a game from winsetup.exe will not make the game show up as "in game" in the list (it shows as "Ready").
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Peder 🚀

Quote from: JJS on Fri 25/03/2011 15:28:59
- Sometimes, a game will not be successfully added to the list if you try to install it. There will be a list entry created, but it its description is empty. Also no file is downloaded. When you click on it, it will take you to the games page though. This seems to occur at random.

This could simply be because some games that are downloadable on the new.agsarchives.com website are still not Nexus ready (even though they have the install via Nexus button). This is because I have yet to replace all non zip files with zip files.

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 25/03/2011 11:02:53
I've downloaded Snakes of Avalon and A night to remember with Nexus. Both worked like a charm. However, snakes tried to start in a really high resolution that my laptop doesn't support. This was easily fixed with the setup option though.

I plan to have a kind of 'universal config' option so all games will play with the same settings unless overridden but because of all the different versions of AGS thats not a trivial task but its on my list!

Quote from: mode7 on Fri 25/03/2011 12:14:57
Only complaint: Why aren't my games on there?

Peder's fault. Yell at him until it's fixed. And make him make the user system while you're at it.

Quote from: tzachs on Fri 25/03/2011 13:24:17
As someone who has never used Steam... How do I download games?
When I press on "Install via Nexus", all I see is a blank page, and nothing happens.  ???

Also, the right side of the page seems to be cut, including the border of the window, here's a screenshot.

Using WinXP.

Very odd problems there. I will look into it. If you double click the title bar the whole window should maximize. See if that helps.

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 25/03/2011 14:20:02
This is sweet!
One question.  Is there a way of getting games that we already have to work in Nexus, or would we have to download them again? Ta :D

I might allow the option to add third party games but the goal is to have *all* ags games available through the system so it might be a little but counter-productive.

Quote from: Ouxxey_games on Fri 25/03/2011 14:52:24
Call to the admins: This should be quickly integrated to the website or wherever it belongs, so that it doesn't stay a "hidden" feature, reserved for the forum crawlers.

Nexus is not developed by CJ and so he is probably reluctant to give it his 'seal of approval' by adding it to the site. Especially considering that it's written by a very junior and inexperienced coder. Adding it to the gamesdb would be nice but I understand why it should not be.

Since this an early version, I am not sure what kind of feedback is needed but:

- If you start a game download and quit Nexus before it finishes, the game vanishes from the game list and the partial download stays on disk.
- If a game is removed from the list while it downloads, the download continues in the background. It is possible to readd the game to the list, but it will not show the download status or the name. When eventually the game is downloaded it will be unpacked. If you then again click on the "install game" button, it will reappear in the game list.
- Deleting a game only removes the folder, not the download archive.
- Regarding the last point: Maybe there could be an option to have a downloaded game "uninstalled" (i.e. not unpacked) but still appearing in the menu (as "preloaded" or something). That way it would be quick to reinstall it without another download.

All good bug reports, thanks

- Running a game from winsetup.exe will not make the game show up as "in game" in the list (it shows as "Ready").

I plan to bypass winsetup entirely with my own setup program so this wont be an issue.

Phew,

Ok I'm glad people seem to like it thus far. I shall continue my tinkerings!

Monsieur OUXX

The image for "the papparazzi prince" seems to cause issues. It seems to have weird dimensions (it's stretched in the AGS database website) and it's exagerately zoomed in inside nexus (you can see only the chest of the character, and huge pixels)

Monsieur OUXX

I suggest you add a message saying "you haven't downloaded any game yet" when the colleciton is empty... Otherwise at first one wonders if it's the collection of existing games (available for download), or the collection of installed games

Radiant

It doesn't work on my computer period. Does it require certain libraries to be installed first?

Calin Leafshade

Stupot

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 25/03/2011 16:32:49
Quote from: Stupot on Fri 25/03/2011 14:20:02
This is sweet!

I might allow the option to add third party games but the goal is to have *all* ags games available through the system so it might be a little but counter-productive.

What I mean is, rather than re-downloading, say, Nelly Cootalot through the Nexus system if we already have the game, it would be cool to be able to simply drag our existing AGS game folders into the Nexus 'gamecache' folder.  I tried this with Nelly C and it crashed Nexus. D'oh.

Anyway, I think it's really cool what you guys are doing here.  Keep it up :)

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 25/03/2011 20:49:56
What I mean is, rather than re-downloading, say, Nelly Cootalot through the Nexus system if we already have the game, it would be cool to be able to simply drag our existing AGS game folders into the Nexus 'gamecache' folder.  I tried this with Nelly C and it crashed Nexus. D'oh.
You can do it if you name the folder with the game's number from agsarchives.com (in this case, 735), make an icon with the same name in the icon cache folder, and include a registry file in the game folder like the ones created by Nexus, with the appropriate values...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk