Is it practical to make a 1st person AGS game?

Started by , Fri 19/01/2007 08:15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

OnlyOneKenobi79

I have been wanting to make an adventure game for quite a while now, and would like to do it in the Tex Murphy - series \ early Myst \ Zork style, in first person and cutscenes \ dialogue sometimes in third person.

I realise that in a first person adventure game, one would not be able to move around like in a first person shooter, and therefore the screens would be somewhat static with hotspots for movement from one screen to another.

Do you guys and gals think this kind of approach would work or would it be better to use the traditional sierra \ Lucasarts onscreen character?

Radiant

Sure, that would work. And I'm willing to bet you can code a Quake engine in AGS if you try hard enough :)

Dan_N

Oh yes, I quite enjoy 1st person AGS Games! ^_^

Go for it!

Hmm... I guess a 3D engine like Wolfenstein or Doom is possible, if you use rawdraw commands... And are extremely intelligent.

Akatosh

I wouldn't advise you to try it, but you could certainly get this working.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Sure. Someone talked about doing a Tex Murphy clone... 1st person, be it Myst-style or 3Dish, is perfectly possible. Be sure to check out the 3D plugin for AGS, I'm surprised no one brought it up yet.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Helm

making a first-person adventure game in AGS is simpler than traditional third person, really.
WINTERKILL

SSH

Nikolas

Heartland was EXCELLENT! (LF? when is the sequelt coming along?!)

On the thread in hand.

The thing is this:

AGS is pretty muc hcapable of doing ANYTHING (limited to non 3-d stuff more or less).

IT does take a little more than an average (like me) person trying his firstroom in AGS, but certianly it's able to do anytjing ytou want. And there are interesting game that are 1st person. All you havwe todo, to begin with, is to click on "hide character" or something like that. This will elliminate the presence of Roger in the BG. Da-TA! first perosn immediately!

Now on the interesting point (for me).

1st person games, have limited animations, no characters really... and well AGs is not able to start camera movement and the such.

So, bottom line:

Can you make BGs interesting enough, ot withstand he lack of a main character?

I'm harsh I know... I do appoligse to those who think I'm too harsh...

auriond

Being on the verge of releasing a demo with first-person perspective, I'm very interested in the answer to this question too. Especially since I really have no animation skills to speak of. I guess we'll find out soon though :)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Quote from: SSH on Fri 19/01/2007 11:26:21
Errr... Heartland Deluxe anyone?

Or Beasts, or Heart of Abraxas, or a couple of "Escape" games, or The Oracle, or Force Majeure... there's not a whole lot of them, but we do have a few.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Stupot

AGS is definatley geared towards 3rd person games, but it's entirely feasable to create a 1st person one.
And at least then you wouldn't have to worry about animating the main character.
Dark Fall and Barrow Hill are two brilliant 1st person games I've played lately. Not programmed in AGS, I don't think, but it's entirely possible to imagine they could have been.

The Marionette Looks great and there is a brilliant demo there now which show's just how this can be done.

LimpingFish

Steve McCrea's Panorama Module was the greatest gift to those of us with a yearn to design first-person adventures. :)

I heartily endorse it! ;D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

auriond

The panorama module! I totally missed that. =( I thought that only applied to walkable areas or something.

edit: thanks Stupot for the endorsement of The Marionette :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk