Swarm Development: Postmortem

Started by Baron, Thu 21/04/2011 04:58:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Quote from: Tabata on Fri 26/08/2011 21:10:13
Since I am only a little part of the swarm withot knowledge of development I may be allowed to ask (because I was wondering a bit about it):
Is is ,,normal" to upload a betatest to youtube to be seen from the public before releasing a game ???

It's not usually a good idea to publicly release a beta version as it confuses potential players who might not understand that it's not the final version.   But as we have so many people working on this project and the development has been very public anyway, I thought it was just easier to release the beta publicly in order to get a lot of beta-testing and feedback (like the earlier partial releases).  As for the You Tube component, dkh was very clear that it was a beta-version in his voice-over, so I don't think anyone would be confused about why the game didn't work perfectly.  And besides, according to You Tube there have been just 36 views (almost certainly swarm members or people who intentionally wanted to look "under the hood" of the game), so I think the chances of the beta version stealing the thunder of our official release are safely remote.  ;)

Tabata

Aah - okay! So it's just a exception in a very special case of game-producing. Thank you! :)

I am “on the road again” for a holiday starting this morning (for several weeks), not knowing if and when connecting to the www will be possible during that time and since I don't know, when I will be able to cheer you up next time I wish you all a lot of fun with polishing the swarm-game and make it near to perfect with voice-acting.
I am jealous of you all and I will search “at every corner"
for a www-connection to see what the AGS-family is doing.

Only some more steps to go -

GO SWARMIES GO! -  â€" WE CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!  -   -  GO SWARMIES GO!

Armageddon

I'm just curious Tabata, do you make your own smilies?

Tabata

If I would be able to I might do this.
As long as a simple bit of changing is only ending in things like

I need "some" more experiences and swarm-lessons first.  ;)

So in the meantime I prefer to gather them from everywhere ...
Spoiler
You find "the home" of most smilies, when you take a peek at the properties of the pics  ; -)
[close]

Time to go - so I'm off now 

Hudders

No offence to dkh but reading the dialogue would have helped you solve those puzzles easily...

I'm available to do voices if needed. I'd prefer that Merrick was played by someone who has an Eastern European accent, however, so I'm not signing up for that!

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Hudders on Sat 27/08/2011 17:01:31
No offence to dkh but reading the dialogue would have helped you solve those puzzles easily...

I clearly acknowledged that in my cast! I was talking at the same time, trying to make points and all. I should've not talked when any dialogue was on the screen at all (like I and any other half-decent let's player does with voiced games, you don't ever want to talk over voices). Then I would've been able to read it all and not been as confused.

QuoteAnd besides, according to You Tube there have been just 36 views (almost certainly swarm members or people who intentionally wanted to look "under the hood" of the game), so I think the chances of the beta version stealing the thunder of our official release are safely remote.

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that aspect. As far as I'm concerned, when something is released publicly, you're allowed to screengrab it and talk over it unless the developers clearly state they don't want such a thing (but then they wouldn't release the material publicly in the first place). If you ever want me to take the material down, I'll do it in a heartbeat of course! :D

Baron

Quote from: dkh on Sat 27/08/2011 17:12:16
If you ever want me to take the material down, I'll do it in a heartbeat of course! :D

No, no, no!  It's good for the swarm to see how a "fresh" player would react; it will definitely inform our polishing efforts.  I was just saying that in the "normal" closed-shop development process it's not a good idea to publicly release a beta.  I agree with you that once something has been posted publicly it is fair game.

Quote from: Hudders on Sat 27/08/2011 17:01:31

At some points, I agree.  But dkh has definitely brought up a valid concern: that some puzzles/objectives should be better or more overtly flagged for the player.  This is, however, the touchiest art of game design.  Make clues too obscure and players whine about the game being too difficult, while make them too clear and they slam you for making it too easy.  Clearly we've got to put some thought into this.  I am inclined towards Merrick making comments as he enters new rooms about how he must hurry before they realize he has escaped, or pointing out the obstacles to be overcome.  We'll see how well that plays in the next build. 

DoorKnobHandle

Very true, about the

Spoiler

EXIT puzzle
[close]

I noticed the description of the magnets actually contained a second sentence giving a hint. I over-read it while talking and then complained about it in my playthrough. That was obviously mislead and not relevant.

Hudders

Maybe something to telegraph the function of the probe would be useful. Maybe a poster or a discarded back-issue of "What Probe?" magazine.

Baron

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Hudders

"Apparently BIG probes are in this year... just like every year"

Jackpumpkinhead

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35944169/Draculator%20II%20-%20Explore%20Loop.mp3

This is a very very rough version of the exploring the facilities loop that i just started working on
let me know what you think.

btw
how do you get a song to just play when you click on the link?
currently on an indefinite hold.

Baron

UPDATED BETA

OK, I've fiddled with the "magic probe" bug and I think I've got it fixed.  I've left leaving the guardroom as an option up to the point where the Robot Monster enters.  Since you must have the cheetah blood to get to this point, there should be no dead ends and everyone should be happy.

Other Changes:
-cursor text (now you can see what items actually are!)
-flashing window in guardroom (gunfire)
-faster character (we still need an inventory/options/speed slider GUI design!)
-walking to mirror (for consistency)
-stop laser when door is already open
-missing descriptions added
-old menus purged
-double hissing when trying to use door fixed
-new ginger scientist talking frames
-brief instructions to player at start of each screen (do this!)
-and so much more!

I was unable to duplicate Tabata's bug where Merrick was walking in chair mode.  Are you still around, Tabata?  Can you tell me what you were doing?  For now I'm guessing she might have been using an older version....

So, moving forward.  There has been zero interest in VAing so I think we'll cut that aspect for the time being.  We can always add it later in a "deluxe version" and charge people twice ( :=).  What we do need are:

1) New GUI design & implementation
2) Inside Robot Monster background behind vampire twin talking heads for final cutscene
3) simple hand emerging from the wreckage animation for final cutscene
4) More beta-testing
5) Merrick stand-up from chair animation?  It was commented on, and would be nice for continuity (it's the only missing animation in-game).  Not a deal breaker though.

Otherwise, it's mostly all there.  I think I'm going to use ghost's bat screen for the end credits.  Anyone have a favourite version?

EDIT: @Jackpumpkinhead: I get an error from that link.

ShiverMeSideways

Hello! I'd like to apply for voice acting Merrick! :D What do I have to do except being a natural Romanian vampire?

Baron

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways+ on Wed 31/08/2011 19:45:55
Hello! I'd like to apply for voice acting Merrick! :D What do I have to do except being a natural Romanian vampire?

We're interested in a few voiced lines, so the swarm can discuss the "style" of the dialog.  Here's some random lines:

"I look like a freaking bionic vampire!"

"My mom always said that if I ate too many carrots I'd turn orange."

"I'm not putting that thing in my mouth unless it's a life or death situation."

"Meh.  This one needs more salt."

"I gotta get out of this chair first."

See what you can do with that and we'll talk.

Hudders

Quote from: Baron on Wed 31/08/2011 18:05:49
There has been zero interest in VAing so I think we'll cut that aspect for the time being.

Wait... what? I've read several comments from people saying they'd like to do it.

Jackpumpkinhead

@Baron: sorry i just realized i didnt have my files in a "public" folder. i am new to dropbox and i just figured that out ;D

here is the new link

Exploration Loop
currently on an indefinite hold.

Baron

Quote from: Jackpumpkinhead on Wed 31/08/2011 14:35:24

how do you get a song to just play when you click on the link?

Worked for me.  To be honest, I think it's a little too slow, and I had some balance issues with the base (I could hardly hear it unless I jacked the volume quite loud).  That last bit might be my speakers, but I definitely think you could up the tempo by 30-50%.

Quote from: Hudders on Wed 31/08/2011 23:10:51
There has been zero interest in VAing so I think we'll cut that aspect for the time being.

Wait... what? I've read several comments from people saying they'd like to do it.

What?  Where?  And saying you're interested and actually committing by posting a couple lines for us to discuss as requested are not the same thing.  I like the idea of voice-acting as a way of including more talented AGSers and making the game more awesmoe (sic), but we need more active volunteers in this department if it is to be a reality.

On another note, swarm members are encouraged to send me their sounds as per the Buckethead List so we can implement that aspect of the game.

On yet another note I've caught the double-use of probe on valve bug and fixed it (although it's not in the updated beta).  Keep those bug reports coming!

ZapZap

UPDATED BETA

I was unable to duplicate Tabata's bug where Merrick was walking in chair mode.  Are you still around, Tabata?  Can you tell me what you were doing?  For now I'm guessing she might have been using an older version....

I think it happens when you click on the fridge!
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk