Swarm Development: Postmortem

Started by Baron, Thu 21/04/2011 04:58:20

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiverMeSideways

Quote from: Baron on Wed 31/08/2011 22:23:37
Quote from: ShiverMeSideways+ on Wed 31/08/2011 19:45:55
Hello! I'd like to apply for voice acting Merrick! :D What do I have to do except being a natural Romanian vampire?

We're interested in a few voiced lines, so the swarm can discuss the "style" of the dialog.  Here's some random lines:

"I look like a freaking bionic vampire!"

"My mom always said that if I ate too many carrots I'd turn orange."

"I'm not putting that thing in my mouth unless it's a life or death situation."

"Meh.  This one needs more salt."

"I gotta get out of this chair first."

See what you can do with that and we'll talk.

Ok, I've recorded the lines :)

I should also mention that I have an effects processor, so I can do stuff like double my voice, make it sound like an army of Shivers, or add crazy echoes, or even equalize my voice.

Tabata

Hey swarmies,
already have had a breakdown with my motorhome (that was a big adventure for little Tabata)
but now I'm „on the road“ again and found a connection to greet my family, ...
so I'm happy to say

@ Baron:
Sorry, but it was the latest version  avaliable (the first beta) I used and there are two ways to make it happen.
If you click not only once at the fridge (the second  time it begins but afterwards the game will crash).
If you want to „walk around“ in the room (while sitting in the chair) use the mouse wheel (press it) somewhere on the walkable aerea in the room and it will go wherever you want.

But whatever you changed to the beta2 â€" it has fixed the version that was possible by using the mouse wheel, too.
So there is only one problem left (using the fridge a second time should repeat the dialog instead of moving the chair and crashing the game)

The beta2 has brilliant changes!
Beside the already told chair/fridge-thingie I only found some little things:
- the science-computers are both named as hotspot1
- the guard stops running after a short period (even when you leave and reenter the room)
- the id-card of “Blondie” is still wrong (mirrored). If I remember it correct Icey told, that he'll correct it?
   ... (and still I think, that “Blondie” needs fangs at the end ;) )

Jackpumpkinhead

well this is what i've got as far as the exploration loop goes. if you want i can up the tempo. but i like it the way it is. i actually lowered the tempo because it sounded to dancey.

also i have an idea for a song for the opening splash screen too.

i'll post it as soon as i have somthing

Exploration Loop Final?
currently on an indefinite hold.

Baron

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways+ on Thu 01/09/2011 08:44:30

I should also mention that I have an effects processor, so I can do stuff like double my voice, make it sound like an army of Shivers, or add crazy echoes, or even equalize my voice.

It's Count von Count!  Now do "That's one voiced game, ah ah ah ah ah!".

Seriously, at first I wasn't sure about the eastern European accent, but it's growing on me and I think the more over-the-top it is the more entertainment value there will be for the player.  I like it.  Anyone else have an opinion?

Quote from: Jackpumpkinhead on Thu 01/09/2011 14:50:07
well this is what i've got as far as the exploration loop goes. if you want i can up the tempo. but i like it the way it is. i actually lowered the tempo because it sounded to dancey.

also i have an idea for a song for the opening splash screen too.

i'll post it as soon as i have somthing

Exploration Loop Final?

The balance sounds better on this computer.  I like the synth around 50 seconds in, and the tune's not bad.  I just get this groggy vibe from it, which isn't really what we want the player to encounter in an escape game.  If it sounds too dancy when it is sped up try spreading the drums out a bit so you don't get such a quick beat.  Maybe a 50% increase in speed is a bit extreme, but I'm interested in hearing it a little faster to fit in with your other track (which I think suits the game perfectly).

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 01/09/2011 09:00:15
@ Baron:
Sorry, but it was the latest version  avaliable (the first beta) I used and there are two ways to make it happen.
If you click not only once at the fridge (the second  time it begins but afterwards the game will crash).
If you want to „walk around“ in the room (while sitting in the chair) use the mouse wheel (press it) somewhere on the walkable aerea in the room and it will go wherever you want.

But whatever you changed to the beta2 â€" it has fixed the version that was possible by using the mouse wheel, too.
So there is only one problem left (using the fridge a second time should repeat the dialog instead of moving the chair and crashing the game)

The beta2 has brilliant changes!
Beside the already told chair/fridge-thingie I only found some little things:
- the science-computers are both named as hotspot1
- the guard stops running after a short period (even when you leave and reenter the room)
- the id-card of “Blondie” is still wrong (mirrored). If I remember it correct Icey told, that he'll correct it?
   ... (and still I think, that “Blondie” needs fangs at the end ;) )

Alright, I'll look into this.  Happy motoring!

Cuiki

Decided to give this a go. :)
It was short but really sweet! Most of the puzzles were pretty imaginative, which is absolutely awesome, though I didn't find any of them really challenging, or maybe that's because some of the hints might have been too obvious? My favourite feature would probably be combining random items and objects - brilliant responses, loved every single one of them. And the crucifix puzzle, though I solved that one unintentionally. :-[

I also found a few glitches. Some of them are real nitpicking, so I almost feel bad posting them here. I mean, unless the player tried to do every possible move and action for no reason at all, he would hardly encounter any of them. Needless to say, ignore everything that you think isn't worthy of attention. :P

------------------------------------------------------
CORRIDOR:
-A dead end if you drain the carrot, walk under the light, then go back to where you came from - the tan wears off and you run out of usable carrot :(
-even when the UV light is turned off, Merrick can't reach the switch if he's standing anywhere left of it.
COMPUTER LAB:
-the "computery looking things" are named hotspot 1
-looking at the Bonzai tree after having picked up the cone gives a response you should've got before picking it up, and vice versa
-even if you interact with Bonzai tree or cone before gaining information from blonde guy: "I will take SAID pine cone..."
-Merrick recites the scientific facts only once, and at quite fast pace, so it's hard to remember everything. Maybe right-clicking the blonde guy could have Merrick tell the facts again?
OPEN-AIR ROOM:
-after the guard is killed, his hotspot and the hotspot of the catwalk produce same responses when any object is used on them, which is a bit weird, in my opinion
-solar probe cursor covers most of the text that appears when hovering over a hotspot (actually, it's the same with all item cursors in all rooms)
ROOM WITH GUARDS:
-he can use the pine cone over and over, the responses always the same. Is this intentional?
END SCENE:
-the purple font is a bit hard to read on purple background (one of the twin sisters' hair)

also, I didn't pay much attention to the grammar and spelling (well, it's not like I'm exactly competent), but some mistakes were really quite glaring (it's instead of its and such things)
I've put a few down, but there may well be more.
-hotspot 1 + any item: "Your wasting time."
-when using the cone: "...assume it's power..."
-sisters' dialogue: "You're vampire purity..."
-----------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways+ on Thu 01/09/2011 08:44:30

I think you'd make an awesome Romanian vampire. :D
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Hudders

I'll give the good doctor a go, (and by that I mean apply my voice to him), but it'll have to wait until Saturday so I can SHOUT.

Jackpumpkinhead

@Baron: I was thinking this was more of a sneaking around music, but i will speed it up a bit and, as you said, spread out the drums and upload it along with some music for the splash screen too!

Big GC

Cool - this is really looking awesome!

One thing that stood out to me visually, is biting the carrot/pinecone/bug I think needs an animation

Making a game - this should be easy......?

Big GC

Making a game - this should be easy......?

Baron

@ CUIKI - Good eye!  I've got a new list of things to fix.

@ BIG CG - Awesome!  I feel as if I should harness your pixel animating prowess by pitching game ideas to you, but then guilt about not polishing this project first gets in the way.

@ JACKPUMPKINHEAD - Looking forward to it!

Knoodn

Hello Swarm,

I've played the latest beta and here is what I got:

When you play to the end without biting the scienctists, you can see them small sometimes, when they are talking during the end scene.
And the blond one looks pale and feels cold, although Merrick has not bitten him.

some graphical glitches:
The first room, the computer room and the room with the guards have all the same black borders on the top and the bottom, but the exercise yard has the black border only on the bottom. It looks like this room is moved up. This is not a real problem, but it feels inconsistent.
Also by the corridor there is a grey line on the bottom.
At the end scene the portraits of the twin sisters are one pixel to high. You can see a continuous line.

Apart from that, good job!

Jackpumpkinhead

Here is the Exploration Loop sped up, i had the loop set at 110bmp and now its at 170bmp
i hope it is enough  :-\

Explore Loop Final 2

and this is a very rough version of what i have for the splash screen
its just one instrument at the moment, but i am definitely not anywhere near done
unfortunately i probably wont have it available until around Tuesday

Splash Screen Rough

Baron

@Jackpumpkinhead -  I'm liking that exploratory track now!  Nice.  My musical vocabulary isn't strong enough to give you any constructive feedback on the splash screen track, but it could have potential.  Good work.

EDIT: Do you have the exploratory track in midi format?

ShiverMeSideways

I'm so happy you guys liked the lines I did. :)

So, what's the conclusion? :D

Baron

BETA 3

This latest version should fix all the little bugs and glitches reported to date, as well as implement the latest animations.  Let me know if you find anything out of place.

Otherwise, it's just the end cutscene missing assets:

1) Merrick hand emerging from wreckage (animation)
2) Backdrop for inside of robot monster to put behind vampire twins (background 240x320)
3) Sounds in general

Many thanks to all the beta-testers who have played over the game so far!

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways+ on Fri 02/09/2011 18:30:34

In the absence of anybody speaking up strongly against you, I think it's safe to assume that the part is yours.  My personal preference would be for you to exaggerate the accent slightly to accentuate the vampire-ness of Merrick as well as enhance the entertainment value to the player who has to listen to you over and over again.  Otherwise I'm happy with your sound.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to PM you the voice script.  However, since the "Create Voice Script" option in AGS only seems to produce an empty text file you'll have to wait until a) the search function on the forums comes online again, b) someone around here tells me why it's not working, or c) I hack all the dialog out of the code.  Stand by....

ShiverMeSideways

Quote from: Baron on Fri 02/09/2011 20:45:32
Quote from: ShiverMeSideways+ on Fri 02/09/2011 18:30:34

In the absence of anybody speaking up strongly against you, I think it's safe to assume that the part is yours.  My personal preference would be for you to exaggerate the accent slightly to accentuate the vampire-ness of Merrick as well as enhance the entertainment value to the player who has to listen to you over and over again.  Otherwise I'm happy with your sound.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to PM you the voice script.  However, since the "Create Voice Script" option in AGS only seems to produce an empty text file you'll have to wait until a) the search function on the forums comes online again, b) someone around here tells me why it's not working, or c) I hack all the dialog out of the code.  Stand by....

Awesome, I'm really excited, this is my first voice acting job, so I'll try my best! :D I'll be standing by, waiting for the PM. As for exaggerating the accent, I'll try to add more flamboyancy to the lines! :D Please also tell me in the PM a time frame you'd need the lines done in and also what format you'd like for the recordings and how I should name them, because, as I said, I've never done this before! :D Thanks!

Hudders

ShiverMeSideways

Ok, I'm not in charge, but holy crap, that is very awesome, Hudders!

Dualnames

As not much of an insider in this, my opinion is that Shivers is awesome for Merrick. Everyone in the band meetings loved when he did that accent here and there.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk