Swarm Development: Postmortem

Started by Baron, Thu 21/04/2011 04:58:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

Snarky

AFAIK, the last thing Baron is waiting for is my piddling five-frame animation that I've been promising for weeks. What can I say? I don't think I've ever handed something in before the actual minute of the deadline. Anyway, here it is:

And here's the version lit by lightning flash:

... and my very rough mockup of how it's meant to look in the game:

Hudders

Freezeframe.

"To be continued..."

Fade out.

That's a wrap.

Baron

Ha, well I worked late tonight and you've all given me a bunch more stuff to plug into the game, so my goal is to release tomorrow, probably late.  Thanks for all the extras!

Armageddon

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 28/10/2011 23:15:52
It's my birthday! I demand this game now!  :D
Happy Birthday to you, watch out for Tabata.

cat

Found a bug in beta 5:

I was in the vampire twin room, ate the cockroach. Then I wanted to access the inventory, missed Merrick, he walked somewhere, I clicked him again. Then the inventory came up, but it was all disabled with waitcursor, couldn't do anything anymore (no click, not close the gui, nothing)

btw, do I have to either eat the cockroach or the pine cone or both?

Ghost

Quote from: cat on Sat 29/10/2011 08:42:33
btw, do I have to either eat the cockroach or the pine cone or both?

Both will do and you need just one.

Ekeko

I suppose you don't care about the translation, right?

Ghost

Quote from: Ekeko on Sat 29/10/2011 11:43:31
I suppose you don't care about the translation, right?

I can't speak for the swarm, but as it is the release will be very soon indeed, and there's just no time for a translation now. Such an offer never is forgotten, though: Maybe the game will get translations after the initial release.

Ekeko

Actually... I was talking to the WHOLE Swarm... Well... I suppose you are right! :D
I'll just wait, and meanwhile continue with my GIP... 8)

Big GC

Cool. I have had computer problems for a while and have only just played beta 5 - voices are awsome.

Credits say BIG CG should be BIG GC.

That hand animation is great too.

Chilling the champagne for the release party.
Making a game - this should be easy......?

Tabata

Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 29/10/2011 08:33:12
Quote from: Ponch on Fri 28/10/2011 23:15:52
It's my birthday! I demand this game now!  :D
Happy Birthday to you, watch out for Tabata.

Hey â€" Don't warn him! ;)

Since my job here is done, I'll take a little ride on my broom to Texas for to cheer him up personally  by   

Baron

Ghost

It's a good day to do what has tobe done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemies and do a little swarmin'!

Exiting times. Exiting times. I stumbled over this way back when it was a budding little thread with no more than seven replies, all of them along the line that it would never work out. And if it did, that it would never catch on. And now see this. Banana jokes. Puzzles involving blood. Dramatically raised fists, sexy vampire twins, and exploding poodles.
It's like watchin' the Rocky Horror Show hittin AGS in slow-mo, only with vampires.

Yeeee! Haw!

Ekeko

I bet this would be a milestone in the AGS Community!  :D

Baron

Check out the completed games thread!  This puppy is OFFICIALLY RELEASED!

A few notes:

1) I was unable to replicate the bug Cat found.  If anyone finds this, please send me the error message and I'll patch it up.

2) I had to modify Snarky's exploding poodle slightly so that all the carnage didn't accumulate  mid-air.

3) I chickened out on the "right-click = drop item" in the inventory window since it wasn't functioning properly.  I think I know what's going wrong, but I ran out of time.  Again, something that can be patched when I can look at it more leisurely.

I think that's it.  We'll keep this thread open for our post-mordem discussions for a week or so, but that's it for "new" features (I've got a bake sale game I should be focusing on!).

Finally, I wanted to offer my heartfelt thanks to all the contributors for all their hard work in making this game a reality and this experiment a success.  Fantastic work, everybody!  Five months ago I couldn't be sure that this game would even get built, let alone imagine that it would turn out so well.  You guys made this happen!  Everybody stand in a circle, turn left, and now pat that person on the back.  Awesome work, Swarm!

Ekeko

OMG! IT'S HERE!! This is something all Swarmers should be proud of! Later I'll check this out and give some feedback (Which I can assure is going to be positive  ;) )
Now let's just have to wait for the next Swarm game (There IS going to be another one, RIGHT?)  ;D

Tabata

For this special post I jumped in my halloween-costume
to do one last cheering for all of us:

YAY - it's really done! 

~ Good daddy, swarm queen lead us to the victory! ~

Happy Halloween for everyone!

Baron

Party Time, everybody!

HERE is the game's entry in the database.  The "game authors" section couldn't handle all of our information, so I just pasted it into the game description and left the other section blank (if you're wondering why your profile doesn't show your contribution.....).  I'm going to PM a moderator about rectifying this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk