Brownie's Adventure

Started by Shaneaphone, Sun 20/08/2023 21:40:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaneaphone

Ok. So I'm not much of an artist. But I've wanted to make my own point n' click since about 1994 and I'm finally doing it.

5.5 Alpha - Steampage set up! Lots of things re-drawn, outlandish complex space scene intro added etc. Lots of bugs squashed.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2581560/Brownies_Adventure/

I've learned a lot from the forums (thank you) and the manual. Almost finished my first ever game! It's a very silly and rather amusing adventure. I've used AI to make the backgrounds to give it a little bit of style (not as easy as it seems, or ideal but enabled the game to exist).

You play as Brownie. You live in Schtinkberg and sub manage a local Pilchard press.
You have vague aspirations to become a wizard.
Embark on an epic inter-dimensional journey while causing great harm to those around you.
Through your callous and ill-considered actions you will weave a magical vague story in a derivative fantasy world... will you rise to greatness? No. Probably not...

I made a silly trailer because I'm a bit of an obsessive.

Game State:

Alpha 5.5

75 unique locations
40+ characters with thousands of lines of dialogue
15+ original music compositions
20+ choices that impact your ending
Over 1000 original sprites and 60+ original animated backgrounds
100+ Sound effects/soundscapes

Coding: 100%
Story/Endings: 100%
Art: 100%
Sound: 100%
Fixing Bugs: 90%
Rich Brown
Beardy Ramblin Games

RootBound

Wow. Looks like a huge game!  8-0  I wouldn't know how to keep track of it all.
They/them. Here are some of my games:

Rik_Vargard

Haha loved the funny trailer  (laugh)

This really looks epic and huge; I'm very curious.
Did you calculated an "expected average" playing time?

Anyway this looks great! And it looks you're almost there! Good for you!  (nod)

AndreasBlack

Lol, the accident reminds me of a scene in my upcoming game. Why is it always funny with unexpected trip/falls? (laugh) Good luck with your game :)

Shaneaphone

Thanks guys. It's my first game and it's a quiet forum... and the standard is so high. I thought I might be that guy who gets up to do karaoke and everyone looks away awkwardly. Of course that could never happen. My 'bat out of hell' is literally local legend.

Anyway yes I am particularly intrigued as to how to calculate a play time myself. I looked up 'speed run' for monkey island 2 and it's something like 30 minutes. Now. Playing just the first act of three it took me about 30 minutes when not skipping any dialogue as if I am a new player. I didn't talk to everybody. There's oodles of dialogue etc. but I pretty much tried to casually explore but you know, in a more 'realistic' way? If that makes sense. Anyway act I took me 30 minutes. Act II is I'd say similar size. Act III is shorter and sweeter (boy there's some fun stuff there you just wait lol).

So I'd estimate between 2-5 hours based on how quickly you solved the puzzles and stuff? Also there's an choices that you can make that could alter that.

The Dr Wheeler character evolved naturally. I've since re-drawn him (and a lot of sprites) and he seems even more comical to me.

Thanks so much for having a luck everyone, it's nice to get some feedback. I'm kind of maniacally creating away in the dark here so it's handy to get some insight (critiques also welcome!).

Currently trying to strong arm some mates to actually beta it for me.

Steam page should be up within a few days!

Brownie

Rich Brown
Beardy Ramblin Games

Shaneaphone

Quote from: AndreasBlack on Tue 29/08/2023 20:48:19Lol, the accident reminds me of a scene in my upcoming game. Why is it always funny with unexpected trip/falls? (laugh) Good luck with your game :)
Yeah my 7 year old has had me read every Harry Potter book (nearly over) and I wanted to sort of make a daft joke about accessibility issues in Hog-- 'Piglumps school of the occult'. Very confused neighbours here as I'm shouting 'OH GOD' into the microphone mid day  :grin:  :grin:
Rich Brown
Beardy Ramblin Games

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk