The Calm (updated screenshots)

Started by dale527, Thu 23/08/2012 21:13:00

Previous topic - Next topic

dale527

The Calm

Hey everyone, this is my first post here in the forums, and even though its still in very early development, I thought I would post my new game up here.
This game is a supernatural thriller and I have been influenced by many films such as The Thing, The forbidden Planet etc, so I am aiming to give the game a movie like feel and atmosphere, the story is still being changed and developed so unable to give many details about plot at the moment though I do have a pretty good idea where I want to go with it.

Story:
Date: 2015, October 16th
In 2012 British funded research corporation Rothera set up a small one man research facility on Antarctica code-named Project Barrow.
The primary goal of Project Barrow is to identify the effect of climate change within the region.
A new scientist is deployed to the project once every 3 months.
Contact was recently lost with the current scientist assigned to the facility.
Being next in line for assignment you have been chosen to investigate Project Barrow and re-establish contact with the scientist.
Due to the coming winter if the scientist cannot be located and relieved within 24 hours then you are to resume operation of the facility until
the next switch over in 3 months.

Features:
Chilling atmosphere.
Very large Arctic map to explore.
Animated snow.

SSH

Looks good. I just hope that the player character walks a bit quicker than that animation...

amateurhour

This looks really good. Can't wait to play it.     
Co-Founder of Pink Pineapple Ink Pink Pineapple Ink
Creator of the online comic Trouble Ticket Trouble Ticket

selmiak

sounds interesting and looks good.
If the thing inspired you I might have an idea what caused the loss of contact... ;)

dale527

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 23/08/2012 22:30:03
sounds interesting and looks good.
If the thing inspired you I might have an idea what caused the loss of contact... ;)
Well the idea I have at the moment is another mysterious research facility 10 miles away run by the Russians, they have basically opened some kind of ancient doorway possibly directly to hell and somethings come out of it. This something rather than attacking you directly instead makes all your worst nightmares come true, for example maybe a monster you feared on TV as a child or a very bad memory from your life. The game will put you in a lot of strange and hopefully scary situations which you have to figure a way out of whilst your slowly going insane.

But Im definitely open to suggestions and ideas!

dale527

Quote from: SSH on Thu 23/08/2012 21:59:41
Looks good. I just hope that the player character walks a bit quicker than that animation...
haha yeah it could take a while to get around the map walking that slow. For some reason the animations are running really slow when i uploaded them, they run a lot faster and smoother in the actual game.

kconan

Very cool!  I love "The Thing", and really the whole "isolated research station" setting in general.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk