King's Quest 2.5

Started by Radiant, Tue 20/04/2004 13:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Announcing King's Quest two-and-a-half.

In the score years between Graham's and Valanice's wedding, and Gwydion/Alexander's triumphant return and defeat of the fearsome dragon, all has not been quiet in Daventry. A horde of goblins is marching towards the nearby kingdom of Avali, and its old and weary king Vortigern has requested Graham's help in dealing with the matter. But treachery is afoot, and before long Graham is framed for murder and on the run from the Avalian guard. Going incognito, he has to deal with goblins, faeries, a giant and an evil wizard (not to mention ignorant villagers and a tendency to fall off cliffs) to clear his name and free the land from the goblins' yoke.

We have a three-room demo of the game available at
http://www.liacs.nl/~psimoons/dls/kqproj.zip (roughly 1 megabyte).
It even contains a puzzle. I am well aware that Graham looks like a Roger, and that there's no sound or music yet; but other comments are welcome.
The full game will have roughly 75 rooms and long play time comparable to KQVI and KQII+.

Our team could use some more help. In particular, we could use a skilled room artist, a character animator, and a musician. If you're interested in joining, please send me a private message.

ElectricMonk

WTF? Graham looks like Roger, and there's no sound or music!

Just kidding: The art so far looks amazing, and the story sounds like it will kick ass too.

Some thoughts:
- At the moment, the main character is moving far too slowly.
- When the gaunt man's shadow falls on places like the pile of logs or the axe, it looks weird. It might be a better idea to lose the shadow.
- I don't know if it can be done with tinting the screen, but the "night mode" could do with a bit more darkness.

This is a game I will be looking forward to immensely. Great work so far.

Kweepa

Yeah, looks nice! I like the quality of the writing too.
The first room is a bit muddier and blurrier than the others.

I agree with Monkus Electricus about the character speed and the shadow.

I liked the "tweaked" game setting in principle, but
- talking to people tends to be quite important, surely
- allowing people to turn off player interaction if it's important to a puzzle is a bad idea, and if it's not important, then maybe you could just allow them to look at their reflection in some water or something

Also, I tried talking to the axe (what?) and the game crashed :)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

AtakeeR

Backgrounds are very good (but I agree - first is more blurry than others).
Character really walks as fast as turtle. You should add function to cancel action by right click before Graham reach his destination (ie. when you accidentaly interact on ladder on second screen, then you must wait much time before Graham rech ladder and push it). Writing is excellent.  

Migs

Did you draw these backgrounds!?  They're beautiful!  I suggest you try to add more color variation to each background to make them truly stand out above other game graphics.  If I were you, I'd probably ditch the gaunt man's ground shadow altogether, and just accentuate some of the shadows around his person.  That would fit in with the KQ style a little better, in my opinion.
This signature intentionally left blank.

BerserkerTails

Wow! Nice to see another Sierra fangame in the works. A quick idea though:  don't pretend that King's Quest 2 VGA never happened. Make a few references to it, etc... I think things like this can make your fan game seem more professional, and people will want to play it as part of the series, etc...
I make music.

Blackthorne

Looks awesome, Radiant.
I love your gui, and your pop-up credits.  It looks very nice!  

I'm glad you've got a good project going there.  I recognize KQArtists mighty fine work, as well.  Hope that it all goes well.  I'll be paying attention to this one.  I can't wait to play it.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

auhsor

It sounds pretty cool, judging from peoples comments. I can't download it at the moment cos I'm at uni, but when I get home, I'll check it out.
It's good to see another quality sounding KQ game in the making.

Radiant

Wow, thanks everyone! Looks like we're on the right track.

I've put a number of quirks in there to see how the people would react.
The gaunt man's shadow will be removed in the future.
I'll increase game speed (and EGO speed)
And the rooms will have less hotspot walkto points (i.e. for trees it's not usually necessary)
Night mode is tricky, I'll see what I can do without having each scene drawn twice.
The final game will have either the 'classic setting' gui or the 'tweak' gui. Judging by people's reponses it'll probably be the latter. Apart from that, I'd like to include the option to make EGO translucent to clicks since that's the way I personally prefer it (but this can be toggled off by people who think otherwise). Note that this doesn't invalidate any puzzles.

ElectricMonk

QuoteI've put a number of quirks in there to see how the people would react.

[dr. evil voice]
Rriiiight.
[/dr. evil voice]

m0ds

Very nice! Nice background art and I love the popup credit things. Promosing project indeed :)

Sinister

I loved the game, graphics idea.. (it had crossed my mind.. to do more KQ.. i still have other ideas though.).. everything is fantastic.. i would agree with most of the other peoples sugestions.

Get rid of the gaunt mans shadow, as for speed i think its slow, but then again you DO HAVE a speed options.. this means you can speed up the little guy, so if i want him to go faster i turn it up (simple at least from my point of view).. and i've seen slower characters in other games, so no big deal.

LOVED.. the pop up Credits.. infact i loved them so much im working on my own. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

P.S

stick to the original game graphics.. a traditional graham and KQ's fitting characters and all should go great,.

auhsor

I got around to downloading the demo, and it looks very cool. There is definately potential there. I'm sorry that I'm not an artist or I probably wouldve considered joining the team. Keep up the good work, and I hope that this game is completed to as high a quality as KQ2VGA (or even greater :) )

adi

Hi i'am a musician and would be glad to help you out.If you still need someone to produce the soundtrack for KQII.5 send me an e-mail.Tell me what you had in mind. for example length, type of music and format type of song (mp3,midi,aif, etc.)

Anomaly

hey the link is down! can i download it from anywhere else?? i would really like to see this demo! big KQ fan here!
"The room is bright. 
You are likely to be vomited upon by a Shrunk."

Edwin Xie

pls look at the topic Kings Quest III this one is way old.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Moox

Why did you revive this thread

Anomaly

please look at the kings quest III topic....
I'm not interested in King's Quest III.
I am interested in King's Quest Two and a half or Two point five.

if you  can't respond to my question of where is a good place to download the dem then please pass on by.

If reviving threads is a deeply seated pet peeve that you are severely sensetive to then I beg of your sincere forgiveness.

"The room is bright. 

Edwin Xie

I think someone needs to lock this thread... And look at the rules! 2.5 is abandoned and Radiant is working on KQ3!
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Anomaly

:o oooo i just got piz-owned
"The room is bright. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk