The Hatmaker's Tale

Started by MashPotato, Mon 05/06/2006 22:28:58

Previous topic - Next topic

T-bag

Don't usually post on the GIP forum, but i just had to. This is looking good, great backgrounds, and the original characters only add to the charm!

This is your first game? Don't give up on it! Seen too many promising games get cancelled.

Good luck with it, wish i had the guts to start a GIP thread!

Neil Dnuma

If I could give any advice, it'd be not to go full length on your first game... ;) Everything else looks amazing.

Ali

Ooh this looks good! I love hatmakers and all aspects of millinery.

I can see what Neil means about not going full-length though. I'd rather see a game this good-looking shorter-and-sooner.

Either way, good luck!

-Ali.

MashPotato

Thanks, all ^_^
After thinking about it, I'm not sure if it would be a full-length game... in my mind it's full-length, but it might be actually closer to a longish medium-length.Ã,  I agree it is difficult to make a long game on one's first try, but try it I will :)

Quote from: Ali on Wed 07/06/2006 18:03:09
I love hatmakers and all aspects of millinery.
...I'm not sure why I find this line funny, but I do! :)

Polecat

The artwork is simply charming.  :)
Currently Reading: Soldier of the Mist
Last Read: Stardust [+++]
Playing: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Recently Played: The Dig [+++]

Tuomas

Quote from: lo_res_man on Tue 06/06/2006 19:47:13
The hat maker kind of reminds me of Conin O'Brian
(and is it true Finland has this big thing about him?)
Yes -_-
And the game looks great! lots of luck in making it

navalguijo

Really Nice. I love the look

MashPotato

Thanks ^_^

I have some good news and bad news: the bad news is that after rethinking and reworking some of the puzzles, I think this is a medium-length game rather than a full-length... the good news is, that means it will be done a bit more soon (although still very, very far off into the future).

Anyway, things are puttering along nicely.Ã,  I have a few more things done, but since Release Something Day is coming up, I'll leave it until then ^_^.

Steel Drummer

Looks nice! Although the art style of The Apprentice would be a better style in my opinion.. anyways, when do you expect this game to be released? Do you have a team of people working on this, or just yourself?
I'm composing the music for this game:

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

yodaman, I don't see where 'the art style of x' has any bearing on mashpotato's work.  She's doing just fine with her own style.  Keep up the good work!

jasonjkay

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sat 10/06/2006 05:37:06
yodaman, I don't see where 'the art style of x' has any bearing on mashpotato's work.Ã,  She's doing just fine with her own style.Ã,  Keep up the good work!
I agree, I think this art style is quite amazing. When this game comes out, I think it will be one of the most popular AGS games ever. I even think people like yodaman will be saying "your art style should be more like The Hatmaker's Tale".
http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsresources/ - Mods, plugins and templates.

Mr Flibble

I think your style is fantastic, as soon as I saw the title screen screenshot I knew I was going to like this.

I have to ask though, how did you solve the problem of the walk cycles?
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

calacver

This art style is awesome! I agree it will be one of the most popular AGS games yet! And not because she is a girl (though that seems to help a lot).

MashPotato

Quote from: yodaman11111 on Fri 09/06/2006 23:02:46
Looks nice! Although the art style of The Apprentice would be a better style in my opinion.. anyways, when do you expect this game to be released? Do you have a team of people working on this, or just yourself?
Well, I wish I had the artistic skills of Big Brother so that an Apprentice style could even be a possibility, but I don't... I'm stuck with what I have, I'm afraid ^_^.Ã,  Anyway, to answer your questions, at the moment it's just me working on this, and I have no idea when it will be released.

Quote from: Mr Flibble on Sat 10/06/2006 13:12:27
I have to ask though, how did you solve the problem of the walk cycles?
You can see the walkcycles in the CL thread, although I took Maltjik's advice and altered the hair since then.Ã,  I might do a little more tweaking as well--I recently discovered the wonders of importing from the clipboard, so it's much faster to do edits now!

Quote from: calacver on Sat 10/06/2006 15:32:27
This art style is awesome! I agree it will be one of the most popular AGS games yet! And not because she is a girl (though that seems to help a lot).
*heheh* I will use my feminine wiles to get people to play my game! ;)

But anyway, I hope it will be popular, because that will mean that I've done other things well... after all, graphics aren't everything.Ã,  I don't want to sound like I think I'm "teh bestest artist evah", because I don't and I'm certainly not, but I'm not too worried about the graphics--I know with time I can make a game that looks reasonably attractive.Ã,  What I am more worried with, however, are the puzzles and story, the backbone to any good adventure game.Ã,  Without these, people may download, but they won't finish.Ã,  I'm looking forward to working on it, though ^_^

Thanks for commenting, everybody.Ã,  Your well wishes and encouragement are greatly appreciated ^_^

Mr Flibble

Ah. I didn't read the end of the C&C thread for some reason...

I really like the way this game is shaping up, and not just the graphics. The mentions you made of the gloopiness having relevance in puzzles intrigues me. But I have been completely bowled over by the cutesy-ness. This may be a good game to use to start weening my girlfriend onto AGS  := .
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Steel Drummer

It is neat how you are using the character's shapes and stuff to do puzzles, but IMO, the graphics just don't suit the storyline of the game.
I'm composing the music for this game:

LimpingFish

Very nice artwork. Cute and unique. Good luck with your game. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Sam.

It looks good, but maybe try to work closer to picasso's style?

Really, it looks great, I desperatley hope you finish this game, no matter how long or short it is. Hooray!
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Afflict

:o

This looks Brilliant!!!!

MashPotato you go girl!

Nikolas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk