Bookish Hunt-Down Event

Started by Dualnames, Wed 03/09/2008 09:33:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

DN Games Presents:

STORY:
The story of the Bookish Hunt Down Event is surely one of the least breathtaking and surely one of the most boring stories for someone to hear about. However this event, lead to the destruction of all books for a not so serious reason for many people ,but totally serious for a few, who actually are important, or are considered as so. Concerning books, people always loved to read them. This was never the problem, unless you were blind and nobody would bother reading a book for you. The problem about books was writing them. Most people that bothered writing were quite good at it, at least all those who are not totally unheard of. Some however had troubles obeying all the known rules about writing books. Some laws to their opinion were bizarre and difficult to get along with. They tried to talk about that fact, but no one bothered to listen. They claimed that even if you wanted, you couldn't but use something non-original and non-creative. A certain group of individuals felt a little pissed and depressed by that. They felt like their fantasy, inspiration and all those things you can't easily describe, being violated. And they felt pissed and depressed about that too. Writing the prologue of a book was a thing you were obliged to do based almost entirely on a book, full of rules about books. So you couldn't even squeeze in a little bit of what you wanted without editors noticing it. Same for the epilogue of the book. This created a cult that decided to provoke chaos, anarchy and the like. They decided to exterminate each and everyone of the books. In any form. This action/event is defined as the Bookish Hunt Down Event.It occurred on Mars. So with all the books burned down, knowledge was being altered or lost as the years passed. Nowadays no one knows anything about anything at all. In the year 218 ABHE or 2348 AD a problem in the main computer occurred. No one knew what to do. Because no one knew a shit about anything. Surprisingly enough humanity survived for a couple of centuries. So the story begins...

SCREENSHOTS:

DEVELOPMENT PROGRESS:
Story: 45%
Puzzles: 28%
Art: 10%
Scripting: 10%
Total: 23%

ESTIMATED DAY OF RELEASE:
RELEASE DATE: 22/12/08

CREW/TEAM:
Dualnames: Art/Animation/Music/Scripting/Story

ARCHIVE/NEWS:
3/9/08:Started working on this. This is an adventure game. Interface will be almost like Broken Sword. If anyone wants to help with anything part from scripting I'd be delighted. Anyway, I'm keeping the backgrounds less blurry this time. And more detailed.

MATERIAL:
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LUniqueDan

Looks promising, dystopia rocks!

8) --> Mirroshade
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Cyrus

Liked that title screen, but two other ones need improving.

markbilly

Quote from: Cyrus on Wed 03/09/2008 10:54:36

I was thinking exactly the opposite! :P

The two in-game shots look original in style and without the blur. I like them.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: markbilly on Wed 03/09/2008 11:29:03

I was thinking (actually knowing) that this isn't the Critics Lounge.

Dualnames - you are a game making machine!  Keep up the good work :)

Dualnames

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 03/09/2008 14:14:10
Quote from: markbilly on Wed 03/09/2008 11:29:03

I was thinking (actually knowing) that this isn't the Critics Lounge.

Dualnames - you are a game making machine!  Keep up the good work :)

Darth, thanks mate. Really. As for the rest well, I decided to remove some blur and give more detail to the backgrounds. Thanks for any support. I'll try and make a demo.. soon.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

markbilly

To re-word my post from earlier, I would like to compliment you on your style. Moving away from the blur was a good decision and I look forward to the demo.

yarooze

sounds interesting!  ;)

btw. I used BASS GUI in my NecroQuest game to and got many complains about the mouse buttons (look/use). Many people gave me an advice to swap them. But it is up to you.  :)

edit: BASS original: left button -> look, right button -> use/talk 
My Blog

Dualnames

Quote from: yarooze on Fri 05/09/2008 21:20:22
sounds interesting!  ;)

btw. I used BASS GUI in my NecroQuest game to and got many complains about the mouse buttons (look/use). Many people gave me an advice to swap them. But it is up to you.  :)

I actually scripted the thing from scratch and added noblock module(by the creator of Reactor 09, Bernie). I'm not sure if bass was like this:
-left click:interacts
--talks when over a character.
-Right click:examines

markbilly

That is in fact the Broken Sword interface/GUI, which is arguably better. And, as yarooze mentions, certainly more popular.

Dualnames

Quote from: markbilly on Sat 06/09/2008 10:12:09
That is in fact the Broken Sword interface/GUI, which is arguably better. And, as yarooze mentions, certainly more popular.

Well, that settles it then, damn BASS Gui sounds cooler.. :P

Cyrus

Why not add some pictures to the GUI (like those that were in BS: gears for interaction, waving hand for screen-scrolling, etc.)

Dualnames

Since I actually do consider that this game needs a simple interface..and it's about time to stick to simple interfaces, and just add on the story and graphics.

CosmoQueen

Dualnames I just love the games you've made and I know I'll love this one as well! :)
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Dualnames

Quote from: CosmoQueen on Tue 09/09/2008 07:57:07
Dualnames I just love the games you've made and I know I'll love this one as well! :)

Ow.. thanks man. Really appreciate it.

bicilotti

Looks very promising. Keep your schedule tight and don't blew it up, boy. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk