Flickering sprite in 32-bit game

Started by NSM, Sun 31/01/2010 19:57:00

Previous topic - Next topic

NSM

I'm busy with a game at the moment using prerendered 3D images.  My walkcyle is 21 frames long, and was rendered in blender using alpha channels.  I was able to import the walkcycle into AGS and it looks fine.  The problem I'm having is that when the character walks across the screen, parts of it seem to "flicker" (for lack of a better word).  I've messed around with AdjustSpeedWithScaling, AnimationDelay, MovementLinkedToAnimation and MovementSpeed with no effect.  The game resolution is 1024 x 768 and it's 32-bit (I don't think the alpha channels work, otherwise).

I did a search, and there seemed to be one or two similar problems but with no resolution.  Can anyone offer any help?

Ali

Could it be tearing you're seeing?

I'm using the same setup as you (except 800x600), and it works fine except for tearing occasionally when the computer fails to redraw the character in its entirety in one place. In DX5 Vertical Sync will get rid of this, but that will probably be too slow for your game.

Currently Vertical Sync doesn't work properly with DX9, but CJ is working on it: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=39871.0

NsMn

Maybe you should show us your animation - it could just be a matter of the sprite itself.

NSM

Quote from: Ali on Sun 31/01/2010 23:58:20
Could it be tearing you're seeing?

I'm using the same setup as you (except 800x600), and it works fine except for tearing occasionally when the computer fails to redraw the character in its entirety in one place. In DX5 Vertical Sync will get rid of this, but that will probably be too slow for your game.

I think you're right, though I did have to spend quite a bit of time reading about VSync and tearing today.  A feel lame asking this, but how exactly do you turn on VSync in AGS (for Direct draw, obviously)?  I tried using the manual instructions with no success.

Quote from: NsMn on Mon 01/02/2010 05:52:08
Maybe you should show us your animation - it could just be a matter of the sprite itself.

I recorded the walkcycle with Fraps against a white background.  It does the flickering thing in the game, but it isn't present in the recording.  I think this indicates that it's tearing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk