Difficulty with transparencies

Started by Ayato, Mon 04/08/2008 05:41:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayato

We've just completed our title card in adobe Illustrator and have been attempting to send it to Photoshop, scale it down and save it as an AGS compatible file. Problem is, each time we send the image to AGS the background image which should be transparent is intact. We believe it has to do with the anti-aliasing of Photoshop messing with the corner colors, but even with anti-aliasing turned off it still remains a problem.
Weve saved it as a BMP, TIFF, and PNG and still no solution. Any ideas as to any gross oversights we might have made?

Thanks for your trouble.

Gilbert

Did you save it as a PNG with alpha-channel?

Also, what colour depth is your game at?
Note that alpha-channels will only be used if the game is set at 32-bit. If your game is at 16-bit, only solid colour transparencies are allowed in sprites, so yeah, make sure you don't have smoothed anti-alias edges in the images.

This tutorial by Eric may help a bit, depending on the style of the graphics.

Ayato

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Mon 04/08/2008 06:43:21
Did you save it as a PNG with alpha-channel?

Thanks for your suggestions! Our game is at 32-bit color.

At first we weren't using alpha channels. After reading your response, we gave it a try,  and it just wound up messing the image even more somehow. With alpha channels, the image becomes mostly brown -- the same color of brown as the outline of the letters in our title card -- but not entirely...

We had another idea while we were waiting for a response was this. The anti-aliased pixels might look better if they looked more grey. So we placed a grey background on our sprites, and then told AGS to use one of the corners as the transparency color. The weird thing is the character sprites (which were done entirely in photoshop) came out just as we predicted, and the title card (which was done in Illustrator and then converted to a raster image and finalized in Photoshop) is STILL having this problem.

I think there might be some weirdness with the transfer from Illustrator to Photoshop, but the problem itself isn't really clear, so I can't imagine what the solution is.

zabnat

I don't remember having any problems with alpha channels with my game. I just made a image in Photoshop where I had no background layer and painted on layers (so the background would be that checkboard), then I just saved as png and imported to AGS, probably with option "leave as is" in sprite import transparency settings.

edit. I just tested (with 3.02) and it worked like I would expect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk