LucasArts GUI Help Thread (NEW Scumm GUI Available!)

Started by TerranRich, Fri 01/08/2003 06:04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

subspark

1) you double posted.
2) you revived an old thread.
3) A mod will get grumpy. ;)

The best info in creating a LucasArts gui is right in this thread! Take a look.

Cheers,
Spary.

MacGyver12345

Quote from: subspark on Mon 17/08/2009 08:59:42
1) you double posted.
2) you revived an old thread.
3) A mod will get grumpy. ;)

The best info in creating a LucasArts gui is right in this thread! Take a look.

Cheers,
Spary.
i cant find any tutorials.
I GOT A FEVER, AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION, IS MORE COWBELL!!

MacGyver12345

is ags supposed to come with alucasarts template, because the versions i have didnt.
I GOT A FEVER, AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION, IS MORE COWBELL!!

subspark

Dualnames

Well, here have this(you can set any possible interface and combinations of them with this module)

Control Modes(Scumm,BASS,Sierra)
http://ledzepforever.googlepages.com/ControlModes.rar
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

rodrigofantino

Hi there, I´m first time AGS user. I`v downloaded the template, I have all the files, I`v coppied the *.agt file to the templates directory. And when I chose new game > 9verb It tells me: " there was an error creating your game. the error was: Game data file is from version 3.2.0 of AGS or an unsuported beta version please visit the AGS website for a newer version of the editor "

Yes you will say, you have to download the newer version, well I´m using the 3.1.2 version but now that I read the GUIS forum page says that you must use 3.2 or later. Where can I download it because I can`t find it on the download page.

Rodrigo, from Argentina

Adrian

Hi everyone!
First of all thanks for the great topics and support!
I have a problem which should be quit simple to solve, I hope: I tried to exchange the grafics for the Lucas art GUI's Buttons with my own ones (same size), which worked fine in the GUI area of AGS. But running the game, the original Buttons are still there. Did I miss something?
Greets!

Sorry, stupid problem solved. Just changed "translate GUI action buttons" in global script. Now everything is fine! :-)

rupert83

Hi, everyone.

I work on a game based on Proskrito's FOA template and I have a problem with character interactions. I created a character (a Robot) and attached it to a dialogue, but when I do 'Talk to Robot' - nothing happens. After a few attempts on fixing it, I realized that none interactions work at all (not 'Look at', not 'Give'). Everything else works just fine (I mean interacting with objects and hotspots), just the characters. I thought I might have made a mistake before, because I modified the GUIs and some other things, but I also tried to do the same on a new game based on a non-modified template and it comes out the same.

Any ideas appreciated.

Khris

Which version of AGS are you using? Have you linked the function(s) properly to the character's any click event?
To be clear, does this happen if you start a new default game, using the template with the same name that comes with AGS?

rupert83

Thanks for replying. I'm using 3.1.2 version. I'm sure I linked all the functions properly, I checked that many times. When I start a new game with the 'Default Game' template, everything works fine, but when I start with the 'SCUMM_F.O.A._English' template - it doesn't.

I also have a template from Monkey Island - I'll compare the scripts, they might be similar.

SinSin

nvm DONE IT WOOT
Currently working on a project!

Jackpumpkinhead

i have just started a project that uses this template ( the new one)
and i am having a bit of trouble with my main characters sprite when in the game
it seems that when he is moving down, the down loop/animation isnt used
instead the sideways (right or left loop) animation is used
is there a way to correct this
i havent made any rooms yet
i am just using the demo room but i am using my new character instead of 'cEgo'
currently on an indefinite hold.

Khris

The loops in the view are named, make sure that the down sprites are in the correct loop (0, I believe).
Having said that, if the character is moving at an angle rather horizontal than down, AGS will use the side views.

(Btw, this isn't really concerning the template; it doesn't handle walking differently.)

Jackpumpkinhead

Quote from: Khris on Tue 20/04/2010 22:48:03
The loops in the view are named, make sure that the down sprites are in the correct loop (0, I believe).
Having said that, if the character is moving at an angle rather horizontal than down, AGS will use the side views.

(Btw, this isn't really concerning the template; it doesn't handle walking differently.)

thanks
i thought maybe the template changed the way sprites were viewed when moving down
i am a noob at all of this

Jackpumpkinhead

okay i have a new problem i am dealing with
the default left click is the "use with" verb
and if you click "use" and then on an inventory item the player character just says "I can't use this"

i would like to make it so that the default left click for inventory items is "look at" instead of "use with"
like in the original monkey island games ie SOMI and MI2
then if you want to "use with" then the player has to actually click the "use" verb.

also i would like to make it so that you can make the inventory usable with the player character

Khris

AFAIK, in the template, a left click on an inv item selects the item as active while a right click triggers the "look at" action.
So to use an item (as opposed to use it with something else), one's supposed to click "Use", then the item. If the item doesn't have that action, it defaults to "Use x with".

All this is intentional and IMO a big improvement over the original games. Why would you want to change that?
Why put the same action on two buttons and require an additional click for one of the most prevalent interactions in the game?

Also, to implement your changes, one has to make the player character clickable, which has the downside of them obstructing small hotspots behind them, something LucasArts has always avoided.

(I know, this post isn't helpful at all considering what you asked, sorry.)

abstauber

I also think the current approach is way more playable than the original.
But if you insist, you can edit the template at line 1261 (at least in version 1.2.1):

Code: ags

SetAction (eGA_LookAt);
location=GSinvloc;
if (ii.IsInteractionAvailable(eModeLookat)) {
  used_action = global_action;
  ii.RunInteraction(eModeLookat);
  SetAction(eMA_Default);
}

Jackpumpkinhead

so there is no way to do this in the current version
i dont mind it i guess
i am just trying to make a game and make it as close to the original scumm engine as possible
thanx anyway

abstauber

It is, you just have to alter the lines I've mentioned in guiscript.asc ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk