Background Blitz: College Days! (VOTING!)

Started by newwaveburritos, Tue 02/01/2024 01:57:37

Previous topic - Next topic

newwaveburritos

Ah, the salad days!  "Enjoy your college years, son, because that is the time in life when least is expected of you."  That is a quote my uncle told me years ago was from Citizen Kane.  It's not and indeed I cannot determine what, if anything, it is from.  But it is the theme of this month's Background Blitz!

Academia, the Quad, parties, new relationships, Spring Break, road trips, sports, competitions, cramming, term papers, final exams, hot professors, hard-ass professors there's a million things that can happen in college!

As usual the votes will be tabulated and entries judged on:

-Concept
-Playability
-Artistic Execution

jwalt

Found an interesting image of a College Library, so I thought I'd try for it. Not even close, but did wind up with something I liked:

Modeled and rendered in Anim8or.

newwaveburritos

Thanks for getting the ball rolling @jwalt !!  I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with.

Creamy

I have something in the works.

Nice atmosphere.
Some elements are textured and others not. Is it finished?

jwalt

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 14/01/2024 23:51:21I have something in the works.

Nice atmosphere.
Some elements are textures and others not. Is it finished?

It's about as finished as I intend to make it. I no longer have Bryce on a system, and it's a bit more difficult to texture stuff in Anim8or. I suspect that may have more to do with me than with the Anim8or program. Trying to reach a compromise between the 3D stuff I model, and the 2D stuff I'm using to populate the projects. That doesn't always work. Thanks for the comment!

Creamy

Here you go:

It's not going to win me any playability point, but I wanted to try an unusual angle.

newwaveburritos

Well, looks like we're gonna wrap this up.  Anybody else got anything working?

newwaveburritos

So now we vote for a winner!  As usual tally your votes toward:

-Concept
-Playability
-Artistic Execution

I'll give us a few days to pick a winner and then we'll get another one in the books!

RootBound

:)
Spoiler
Concept: @Creamy
Playability: @jwalt
Artistic Execution: This is very tough because the styles are so different. However, I am an absolute sucker for pixelated 3d renders, so I'll give it to @jwalt. Basically flipping a coin because both backgrounds are very well achieved.
[close]
Great job to both of you!
They/them. Here are some of my games:

jwalt

Spoiler
Regarding playablity, I'm not seeing all that wrong with Creamy's image. Doors to click on, people to talk to, and a statue and horse to look at. My vote(s) go to Creamy, in all categories.
[close]

Wishing there had been more entries!

Creamy

QuoteRegarding playablity, I'm not seeing all that wrong with Creamy's image. Doors to click on, people to talk to, and a statue and horse to look at.
What I meant is that unless using 3D models, it'd be hard to animate the characters with this perspective. Especially if you want to let the player walk around freely.

QuoteWishing there had been more entries!
Me too.

ildu

Same, would love to see more activity, including from myself :-D. But Creamy and jwalt did a great job!

Concept: Creamy. A classic take on Miskatonic - spooky!
Playability: jwalt. Nice and functional - would love to see this rendered in a higher resolution!
Artistic Execution: Creamy. Love the angle and colors!

I promise to take part in the next one ;)!

newwaveburritos

Any final votes before we wrap this one up?

newwaveburritos

Just for yuks since you said it would be hard lol.

newwaveburritos

Also, I suppose that's your trophy @Creamy as it looks like you've taken the prize!

ildu

Is someone planning to start a new Blitz? I'm itching to try my hand on a new background, and I've got some time too (for once) (laugh).

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk