Quizzening: Inventory Edition! (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!)

Started by GarageGothic, Fri 18/08/2006 21:13:00

Previous topic - Next topic

GarageGothic

The Rules

[li]This is a quiz about adventure gaming trivia. Each installment has about a dozen questions with a common theme, about well-known adventure games, either classics or from the more famous "indie" games. Suggested themes include but are not limited to inventory items, music, easter eggs or forest creatures.[/li]

[li]Each question is worth two points if correct, one for a partial answer, and three if you have a better answer than the person who made up the question.[/li]

[li]This thread is for hints and feedback, as well as noting your participation. Please send answers by PM to prevent people from peeking. The quizmaster will post all answers when the quiz ends.[/li]

[li]As with most activities, the winner of this quiz will be the quizmaster of the next one. In case of a tie, the person who submitted earlier is considered the winner.[/li]

[li]I'm setting a deadline of a week, then give me a few days to look over all answers, and give the winner a few days to come up with something new. The result should be a biweekly quiz, or thereabouts.[/li]
    [/list]

As Anym was kind enough to point out, it's been three weeks since the last Quizzening. I'm so sorry for the long wait, but I've been quite busy since the end of July with magazine deadlines and travelling abroad - and embarassing as it is, I totally forgot about the quiz. What I came up with is nowhere near as creative as Strange Visitor's rebus quiz, but I'm still quite curious how hard you will find this one.

Each picture represents an inventory item from an adventure game, you must guess which games they are from. The answer should be in the form of a game title - if the game is part of a series, remember to add number or subtitle. Otherwise the guess will only count for a single point. I haven't had access to my own game collection while picking the items, so some of my all time favorite inventory items aren't in there. I hope I'll get the chance to use those some other time. I should add that I consider some of the newer games far from "classics", but they are well-known nevertheless.

You can PM me your guesses until noon GMT on Sunday the 27th of August. The winner will be announced the same evening.
    Have fun!

GarageGothic

I just found out that Mittens was this week. To give the returning Mitteneers a chance, I've decided to extend the deadline to noon GMT on Sunday the 27th of August.

Radiant

GarageGothic

One day left and only two entries so far ???

It seems that this week's quiz was a bit too hard, and three of the (imo) most recongnizable items haven't even been guessed yet! But even if you only know half the items you still have a chance of winning. And if you're the only one to enter, you're guaranteed a third place by default even if all your guesses are wrong :) So give it a shot!

GarageGothic

A bunch of entries these last two days to make things more interesting, and man was it close. So close in fact that the first place was a tie, but as stated in the rules, the person who submitted first is considered the winner. Therefore, the first place goes to the man who not only made five correct guesses, but also was the very first person to submit his answers:

Thomas VoàŸ wins the Golden Monkey Wrench Award  for his 10 points and early submission

SergioCornaga wins the Silver Chicken with a Pulley in the Middle Award , also with 10 points

Chrille wins the Bronze Herring Award for his 9 points

And the correct answers were:

1. KGB/Conspiracy (Nobody guessed, perhaps it's just me who remembers running around with a vodka bottle for most of the game)
    2. Quest for Glory 4
    3. Black Mirror
    4. DreamWeb
    5. Still Life (Nobody guessed this, and I'm surprised that only one person guessed a CSI game)
    6. Sam & Max Hit the Road
    7. The Longest Journey
    8. The Dig
    9. Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within (What, not a single person!?! One point to Chrille though for guessing GK3 on every item he didn't know)
    10. Syberia 2 (Tough one, granted. It's one of the first items in the game though)
    11. Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
    12. Loom (Most correct guesses in the quiz, maybe because it's the only inventory item in the game :))

And that concludes this edition of the Quizzening. I'm quite impressed how many of the more obscure items were actually guessed, but it's also clear that not many people on the forums play recent adventure games (only one person recognized the toy monkey's eye from The Longest Journey!). If I should ever host another quiz, I think I have a better grasp of the difficulty level now. Congratulations to the winners. I'm Looking forward to see what you come up with Thomas!

Tom S. Fox

I can't believe it! I won again!
    Well, time to come up with something new.

...that might take some time.

sergiocornaga

Gaaah! I knew the Still-Life one, but didn't give an answer because someone convinced me I was wrong!

Well, I guess that means I don't have to come up with ideas for the new competition.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk