Background Blitz - High up! - (08/02 - 25/02) WINNER ANNOUNCED

Started by Daniel Thomas, Tue 08/02/2011 08:51:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Thomas

Sorry guys for starting this a little late. But let the voting start, Ill keep it open for a day or so.

Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest. This also includes the background's in-game functionality (hotspots, walkable areas, etc.)
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.

Code: ags

[b]Idea[/b] -
[b]Atmosphere[/b] -
[b]Design[/b] -
[b]Composition[/b] -
[b]Technique[/b] -
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Mad

I thought I'll elaborate somewhat this time:

Idea - loominous. Very cute. Has something of Calvin and Hobbes, which is a very good thing.
Atmosphere - Mordalles. ...even without the corpses.
Design - Ilyich. It really works as a whole.
Composition - Ilyich. This absolutly delivers what it promises on the packaging.
Technique - Mordalles. You said it needed refinement, but I like the roughness of it.

Cuiki

Idea - Mad
Atmosphere - Ilyich
Design - Ilyich
Composition - Mordalles (for functionality in particular)
Technique - Loominous
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Pinback

Lovely entries all round, so hard to vote once again. Took me three hours to reach a decision this time!

Idea - Oraxon - Great location, the story to that pic writes itself.
Atmosphere - Mordalles - Just rad. I like the first, low res one a thousand times more though:)
Design - Mordalles - Reminds me of a Flash Gordon set with a Dark Seed twist or something. Very cool.
Composition - Mad - Really interesting composition here.
Technique - Cuiki - While I usually give this one to Loominous, I see a lot of potential in your entry.

Ilyich

Really hard to choose, everything is so different and lovely in it's own right!

Idea - oraxon - quite an unexpected, interesting "closed" location idea
Atmosphere - Mordalles - dark, creepy and very thick
Design - loominous - cute and simply awesome
Composition - Mordalles - it's a real game background
Technique - loominous - love the soft colours and the contrast on this one.

Mordalles

Idea - Ilyich
Atmosphere - Ilyich
Design - Ilyich
Composition - Ilyich
Technique - Loominous

inspirational stuff!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

cat

Idea - oraxon
Atmosphere - Ilyich
Design - Ilyich
Composition - Cuiki
Technique - Ilyich

Tabata

I'm a bit sad, that cat didn't do her entry (her scetches promised a fantastic bg)! But to be honest, there are  wonderful other ideas shown here.
I'd like to enter and explore all of the shown little worlds. They are sooo different in style and emotion, that it was hard for me to choose. They are all lovely to watch and would fit nice in a game.

Idea - oraxon
Atmosphere - Mordalles
Design - Ilyich
Composition - loominous
Technique - Ilyich

cat

Quote from: Tabata on Mon 28/02/2011 16:35:40
I'm a bit sad, that cat didn't do her entry (her scetches promised a fantastic bg)! But to be honest, there are  wonderful other ideas shown here.

I think you have mixed up something, I never made any sketches for this BGBlitz - maybe you meant Misj'?

Tabata

Quote from: cat on Mon 28/02/2011 16:42:46
Quote from: Tabata on Mon 28/02/2011 16:35:40

I think you have mixed up something, I never made any sketches for this BGBlitz - maybe you meant Misj'?

UUUUPS! 
Sorry!
Yes, you are right - I meant her!   *ashamed*   ::)

Vukul

Idea - oraxon
Atmosphere - Ilyich
Design - Ilyich
Composition - Mordalles
Technique - Ilyich

Misj'

Quote from: Tabata on Mon 28/02/2011 16:52:40
Yes, you are right - I meant her!   *ashamed*   ::)

I'm said I didn't get to finish anything either, but life took over and didn't leave me with enough room to draw...

That being said: While I really love my feminine side (that is: my wife and our cat) my decidedly more masculine side suffered some blows to some vital organs from that remark :P

My voting:
Idea - loominous - I'm still mostly undecided between Ilyich and Loominous, but decided to go for that latter for the sole and simple reason that I honestly didn't see this airship coming.
Atmosphere - Mordalles - I'm not sure whether the feeling it evokes is creepy or exciting, but this one stood out for me.
Design - Ilyich - The perspective of the banister bothers me a little, but the shapes that really reflect the reference material are just great
Composition - Mordalles - A good use of shapes and open spaces, light and darkness, and a nice walking area.
Technique - Ilyich - This was a hard-one again (and if I were to vote again in half an hour Loominous might win this one), but the fact that the reference material was so well used, and complemented by a nice dreamy painting-style earned Ilych my vote on this one.

Bonus vote:
Functionality - Ilych - apart from some minor issues I can really see how this background would work as part of a game...

loominous

Nice entries!

Idea - oraxon
Atmosphere - Ilyich
Design - Cuiki
Composition - Mordellas
Technique - Ilyich

Btw, I would like to voice an objection about conflating Composition and Functionality, which in my opinion don't have anything to do with each other.
Looking for a writer

oraxon

I laughed when I saw loominous' entry, and then again with Misj's reply.  :)

Idea - loominous
Atmosphere - Ilyich
Design - loominous
Composition - loominous
Technique - Cuiki

Daniel Thomas

Ok, I'm wrapping it up here, thanks to everyone who participated and voted!
And the winner is Ilyich! Congratulation!

I agree with loominous, composition and functionality isn't really the same thing to me, a bad composed picture can still be very practical and the other way around.
The reason I didn't add more categories to vote on was that it might start to get too many. Then I though about generalize them more into something like 'Idea' 'execution' 'functionality', but didn't in the end. I'm sure someone else can do it better. :)
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Ilyich

Wow, weird, thanks! I will try to start a new one asap.

Tabata

Ohhh â€" Noooooo!!!
What a shame â€" Seems to me, that I am only posting "sorry's" theese days.

So here's a big one only for Misj'  

... and let me tell you: Your reply about my mistake was great!

Not to forget:
Congratulations to Ilyich!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk