Hourgame Saturday! 20th of february! Winner announced!

Started by Bulbapuck, Sat 20/02/2010 14:37:28

Previous topic - Next topic

SinSin

So let me get this straight you have to start a game from scratch and create a game within an hour ...
Animations, Music, Items, Rooms the lot + a nice story ftw

What a challenge
Currently working on a project!

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Sinsin on Sun 21/02/2010 19:09:12
So let me get this straight you have to start a game from scratch and create a game within an hour ...

What a challenge
Yup, pretty much.

Coffee helps :P

Kweepa

Quote from: Sinsin on Sun 21/02/2010 19:09:12
To be fair, not many entries have all of those elements produced within the hour.
Animation is occasionally limited to Roger walking around.
Music is often absent or a midi lifted from the internet.
Some games have no inventory.
There is sometimes only a single room.
And nice stories are rare!

But yes, a whole game in an hour. It's like doing an AGS exam. Get everything laid out beforehand: open up AGS, open up a paint package with a few blank canvases. Limit yourself: I spend 20 minutes drawing; 20 minutes creating rooms, hotspots and functions; and 20 minutes scripting and testing. And then the last minute rush to pencils down.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SinSin

Im so in lolz

Dualnames

People, about my game, just edit the link, it's a ends with .rar, but replace it with .zip.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 21/02/2010 20:51:29
People, about my game, just edit the link, it's a ends with .rar, but replace it with .zip.
It still doesn't work for me...

Dualnames

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Sun 21/02/2010 21:02:43

For the love of Mods, read the link! Carefully, as slow as possible!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Kweepa

I tried .rar, .zip, .7z, .gzip. Nothing worked. Not even .terrible_joke_that_we're_going_to_ignore worked. Can you try re-uploading somewhere else?

Rex Mundane

Managed to finally download it Dual. Art was nice, but can I ask, why all the anti-semitism? seemed a bit excessive.

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 21/02/2010 21:04:31
Quote from: Bulbapuck on Sun 21/02/2010 21:02:43

For the love of Mods, read the link! Carefully, as slow as possible!

wha-wha-huuuuuhh??? ???
Is downloading the game a puzzle?
Is it a joke and there is no game to download?
I don't understand this at all...

Quote from: magma42 on Sun 21/02/2010 22:13:48
Managed to finally download it Dual.

wait..what?.... how?

Dualnames

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sun 21/02/2010 21:21:28
I tried .rar, .zip, .7z, .gzip. Nothing worked. Not even .terrible_joke_that_we're_going_to_ignore worked. Can you try re-uploading somewhere else?

Lol, I just thought you guys weren't able to see it or anything, and yes terrible joke, I wanted to enter the competition to be honest, but I just wished Bulba would have said something like I'll start around 8:)) gmt, just a day earlier, so I could really join, because i missed this for half an hour only. Ah well, thanks for the support there Magma42..:P

And thanks for the boohoos Steve.

LRH

Played em!

Interesting stuff...having a hard time voting between steve's and magma's... but I think my vote goes to magma.

david

Magma even it was made slightly more than an hour :)

SinSin

For me Magma had a good game going on but it was unfortunate that he could not get it in in time.   :-\

Bici Nice animation, nice puzzle, nice scripting good work   

FSI Nice graphics and a nice bit of scripting there,  pity no end game

Dual Downloaded as soon as I opened the link thank you for brightening my day lol,

Kweepa nice and amusing tidy little game again no end  tho

Akatosh Nice use of characters hahhah dialogue was cool too

Bici gets my vote (if it counts )

bicilotti

Ok, I'll be brief since I'm posting this while pretending to work:

FSi: a wonderful experience. I enjoyed it even more than the other folks since I know how difficult it is to script something  unique in less than an hour. Many were disappointed by the "no end", but violence never ends, so thumbs up.

Steve: solid production, as the previous one. I liked the artoftheftesque puzzle. Again, a missing QuitGame(0) annoyed many, but not me. Bonus points for multiple "endings", multiple location (and most importantly, for avign recognized my game as inspired by futuristic art :P).

Akatosh: I really enjoyed this one. Even though it is a bit clumsy there's a lot to do here and some clever scripting. Some of the predictions may even turn true, who knows! For sure underdeveloped, but classy!

magma: This one suffers from the well know 2hour Original Sin. I found it immensely enjoyable, with some really witty lines. Quality work!

In the end my vote goes to FSi, because that kind of blitz-scripting should really get some praise.

Akatosh

Alright, I'll have to make this short... I'll go with FSi, on account of giant killbots and a surprisingly "polished" aura despite the whole hourgame thang.

Rex Mundane

Alright then, unless I've miscounted, as of... *checks watch* right-now, here-standard-time, the score totals are:

Akatosh - 0
SteveMcCrea - 1
Magma42 - 2
FSi - 2
Bici - 3

Think we're waiting on FSi's vote, but barring a sudden upset (or how long is voting kept open? been 48 hours) looks like a winner am Bici so far.

Bulbapuck

Quote from: magma42 on Mon 22/02/2010 19:33:56
Alright then, unless I've miscounted, as of... *checks watch* right-now, here-standard-time, the score totals are:

Akatosh - 0
SteveMcCrea - 1
Magma42 - 2
FSi - 2
Bici - 3

Think we're waiting on FSi's vote, but barring a sudden upset (or how long is voting kept open? been 48 hours) looks like a winner am Bici so far.

What's the rush? The next one isn't until the 6th of march anyway :P

But you have a point, to get some structure let's have voting open 24 hours more.

So voting ends tomorrow at 20:00 GMT. Vote now unless you already have!

Kweepa

I have to apologise to Akatosh - I totally missed the prediction generator when I played the game the first time.
Great stuff!

Bulbapuck

So, unless math has betrayed both me and magma, we have a winner!

Congratulations to bici yay

Thanks everyone for making this hourgame so awesome :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk