FORTNIGHTLY WRITING COMPETITION - WINNER'S ANNOUNCED!

Started by TwinMoon, Sat 10/05/2008 13:12:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Author's Notes:
Well, I didnt consider myself smarter or more in sort of a way to be put above others because I wrote more words. If i make them less you miss the joke about the passing boats. So if someone wants to vote more fair, if fair is a possibilty, I hereby allow him to skip the last sentence. My comment(author's note) was not supposed to be sarcastic or mean or anything, it was supposed to be a in-joke. I've written half a book called Bookish Hunt Down, and the book starts kind like this little story, though its more connected than this story. This story was written fast and it barely has a point. It is mainly a story that has some jokes, like the surfer joke.

Twin Moons comments:

[1]why is it necessary to mention Janine hates a lot of things?

And above all the things she hated, and she could hate many things, even things that you can't possibly hate, was that feeling

Well, Janine hates many things. That is a fact. And above the infinity as described from the phrase, [even things you can't possibly hate], is the feeling she has about starting books. All this is done for emphasis. She hates many things an infinite number possibly since she hates things it's not possible to be hated she hates above that infinite number that feeling.

[2]Why the long abstract talk about whether the opening sentence is wrong or right?[

Because that is the feeling that Janine hates.

[3]Why did they talk for hours about the beach?

Because she needed to talk about her feeling to someone.

[4] If you made things connect more it'd be a better story.

I'll agree with that comment. Totally.

Anyway to voting.

My votes go on:
Dark Waters
Seychelle
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

rock_chick

When does voting officially finish and are only entrants and yourself allowed to vote? I didn't realise you would be allowed to vote in a competition you were in so I kept myself from mostly reading other people's entries until now, I've got through some of them but it's getting late over here.

Pet Terry

Dark Adrenaline by Candall, well written and depicted, overall a very good read. I could well imagine this being a excerpt from a book.

Seychelles by Colxfile, great and unexpected twist, after which everything just gets worse. Well depicted, too, I could almost feel the sun burning my skin in the beginning, the dull atmosphere of your average office in the middle and the cold and depressing rain in the end.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

rock_chick

The entry by PixelPerfect
"Dark Adrenaline" by Candall

Twirlly

I feel kind of silly now that I realize the maximum words was 350 and not 300 like I thought, but anyway on to my votes:

The Beach by Ben304
Dark Water by ShonenAiGuy

I would love to give comments on all the entries, but time doesn't permit me to right now and I wanted to make sure I voted before time is up.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Colxfile

My two favourites were

Pure by Petteri and
Dark Waters by ShonenAiGuy

Aside from being well written, Pure - rightly - scared me. Dark Waters, I feel, painted the scene the best, conjuring up a clear castaway situation in my mind.
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

TwinMoon

Sorry it's somewhat chaotic, I'm having some personal things to deal with.

Voting ends monday morning.

I forgot to mention that while Dualnames' entry is over 350 words, it's still allowed. As a rule of thumb I keep a 10% margin, so 380 words would be the maximum.
I don't like to be overstrict, but of course I didn't tell you about the margin ;)

Candall

My votes go to "pure" and "seychelles."

I liked "Pure" because it left a lot to interpretation.  Why was Nancy hearing voices?  Was the sea really talking, or was she schizophrenic?

I agreed that the word "Nancy" was used a bit too often until I re-read the paragraph... someone was calling her name, probably frantically, and probably many times.  I don't know if you did that on purpose, Petteri,  but it was very clever.

I liked "Seychelles" because of the teriffically handled imagery.  I also like the fact that in spite of knowing nothing about the main character, I can totally identify.

TwinMoon

I think we can consider this competition a (small) success: 11 entries isn't bad. But, without further ado, let the ceremony begin:

TIED with three votes each at fourth, third and second place:
Dark Adrenaline by Candall
Dark Waters by ShoneAiGuy
Seychelles by Colxfile

You're all knighted as Heroes of the Big Blue Pencil!

And the winner is *slowly opening envelope*
Pure by Petteri!

The Champion of the Big Blue Pencil!

I notified Petteri he could start the next one when he's ready, be on the lookout for it!

Pet Terry

Oh thank you, and congrats to Candall, ShonenAiGuy and Colxfile as well.

I'll start a new competition shortly.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk