Sprite Jam: the Fantasy A-Team -- 17 December - 31 December 2008

Started by Misj', Wed 17/12/2008 21:09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

It was a touch decision, but I've made it (and if I made it tomorrow it might have been a little different).

The contestants (in order of their posts):
Pslim

I really like the pastel colouring of this sprite. I think it suits the Fantasy-theme very well.

Ghost

I generally like Ghost's style. It's simple, very well readable (particularly the bull-face is still recognizable as a silhouette). Would have loved to have seen his take on the other characters, but unfortunately it couldn't be. One of the things that I like about this sprite (and Ghost's work in general) is that even though it's relatively low-res, it doesn't try to be retro (as in imitating an old-style).

SSH

Maybe not really a fantasy-setting, but a cigar smoking cigar...you just got to appreciate that

Buckethead

This style reminds me a bit of the Sierra-SpaceQuest5-era, and I do believe that it could work well in a game. Personally I wouldn't have guessed that it's 3D-based, so I really like the work-in-progress images.

ProgZMax

I'm personally not too fond of the colours, but it's caused by ProgZ choice to limit himself to the Nintendo palette, so it's a limit based on a design-decision. Within that limit, I think ProgZ managed to include a lot of detail and character-individuality...Plus he's got the entire team...

Mr Frisby

BA the balloon-guy :) - Yeah, I don't really know what else to say...it's not Frisby's best drawing I've seen on this forum, but it's definitely different.

BoG

I like this one. It actually makes sense (even though I would not have come up with it myself). It's got a nice style, it's very well readable...all in all, it just works.

SpacePirateCaine

I'll can accept that a lizard-man is a half-man-half-animal (in some way or another), and I love Face as a Doppelgänger adds an interesting game-play/puzzle-element. The A on Hannibal's armour adds a nice detail as well. I do have mixed feelings about the style...while Face attracts my attention, the others I'm not entirely sure about. But hay, that's just taste.

I had a lot of trouble deciding and people kept swapping places, so I've decided to tie the knot and whatever I write down now is my final decision (you may communicate about it, but it won't change a thing ;) ).

An the winner is...
SpacePirateCaine

His characters are original but fit the original characters, and while I think they could be coloured better as a team, the colouring of the individual characters was interesting and added to their character.

2nd place runner-up is ProgZMax.  He's got the entire team,  and despite the low resolution and colour-use each of his characters show a lot of individuality, and would work well in a game.

3rd place goes to Ghost. I just happen to like the simplicity of his cartooning-style.

Congratulations to all of you, and SpacePirateCaine get's the honour of hosting the first 2009 Sprite Jam.

Misj'

SpacePirateCaine

Yaay! I guess I don't feel like so much of a dork anymore for staying up until 6:00am alone in my apartment doing sprites for this contest on New Year's day anymore. I'm really glad they were well received.

I guess it's time for me to come up with a theme... The worst part about getting 1st place in the Sprite Jam is that I can't participate in the next one. Nonetheless, I'll get the next one started as soon as I can come up with an appropriately interesting theme for the first Jam of '09.

Thanks again!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk