MAGS 2009-02: Your Favorite Book

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/02/2009 15:31:41

Previous topic - Next topic

FSi++

Um, I'm kind of doing something, and have a question.

Does a *comic book* count as a book here? (you know, like, Superman or Batman - but my choice is not that obvious)

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 05/02/2009 14:33:36
Anything that reminscents a book, is a valid entry.

So my guess is that it does.

Radiant

My fave book is the computer manual  ;D

FSi++

Dualnames

M.E.T.A 2.0..it's stable?! Yep, FSI, everything that remniscents a book is a valid entry.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bspeers

Just want to say I have something.  It won't be near complete, but if I'm lucky, I'll be able to cobble together the beginning middle and end.

I live on the West Coast of Canada though, so do I get until midnight?
I also really liked my old signature.

Dualnames

Quote from: bspeers on Fri 20/02/2009 12:34:32
Just want to say I have something.  It won't be near complete, but if I'm lucky, I'll be able to cobble together the beginning middle and end.

I live on the West Coast of Canada though, so do I get until midnight?

Klaus is always happy to give a 24 hours deadline. I'm sure he'll made another exception here as well.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bspeers

Well, I definitely won't be finished, but I do believe I could have a full "arc" with a little more work.

Would it be possible to get an extension to the 25th at say, high noon?

I will then submit whatever I've got, and the fine people here can judge whether it ever qualifies as an entry.  It's kind of an interesting idea, at any rate.

If there is no extension, I just won't be able to submit, and good luck to the other competitors! :D

Klaus

As you see February 23rd passed by already... So put on your boots and hurry up :)
You have 33 additional hours left from now (see timestamp of this message).
Then the voting will begin - or not. Depending on entries - or not ;)

Stumblebum

Well, I have officially given up on my entry.  My lack of experience and crazy overzealous decision to attempt adaptation of Invitation to a Beheading, by their powers combined have defeated me.   
Monkey Mind

bspeers

I believe I will have a good playable entry in 3.5 hours, the end of the 33 hour period.

Keep your mouses peeled!

Okay, it's a demo, but it's available on my Website as of now!

http://www.cardboardlogic.com/Games/blocks.zip

EDIT: Link fixed - it should be downloadable in about 5 minutes (I had a caps issue).

bspeers

EDIT: Download being updated with a few reported bug fixes.

Okay, here's a proper post:

Get ready for Writer's Blocks!

The tech demo, with puzzles!

A text based interface using mouse controls leads you through a new world!

You are a writer, stumped and stuck, blocked as it were, when a mysterious old man invites you into Blockland, a place filled with fictional characters, both friend and foe!

Can you collect all 10 magical blocks without being eaten alive?

This version has a beginning, middle and end, and a few challenging puzzles, but is nowhere near complete.  Meet Alice of Alice in Wonderland, Virginia Woolf, Bilbo Baggins, Mr. Darcy and others as you quest to find the "building blocks of the perfect novel.

Enjoy!

http://www.cardboardlogic.com/Games/blocks.zip

Klaus

So... No winner in February.

Well, no - of course there is one ;) Even "years" after the extended deadline
only one "valid" (if you want to say so) entry is in here. Not all too much. But
I am very happy that bspeers posted the tech demo of his game. So it is worth
calling it the winner of this great competition...

Congratulations to bspeers and the entry Writer's Blocks! And ... we are
waiting for the final version! :)

In the meantime please check your PM for the setup of next month's rules.

Dualnames

Great two contests streak of winner by default..

bspeers

To be fair to me, although it is a tech demo, I think that if you tried it out, seeing as it does have a beginning middle and end, some interesting mechanics and gameplay, I think it would have done alright anyway.

However, yes it is a bit disappointing to have so few entrants.

My hope is that next month's theme will inspire many entrants, even many short ones.  This was an awesome topic, but since we were dealing with an already existent script (IE: the plot of whatever book), I think it privileged graphic artists (since that is the main way creativity played a part).

IE: A game version of the Illiad, for example would have to feature graphics more than plot, since the plot is already there.

I enjoyed the topic though, and found it inspirational.

This is also a short, busy month, especially this year.  I fully expect more entrants next month regardless.

Helme

I think the topic was pretty cool.

I would have joined the challenge, if I were not working on something bigger, right now.

DrWhite

QuoteI think the topic was pretty cool.

I would have joined the challenge, if I were not working on something bigger, right now.

Me too, I already made up some scenes of "the castle" by Franz Kafka but couldn´t think of a not-frustrating way to make a game out of it. I don´t know if anyone would play a kafkaesque game where you are doomed to lose from the start.

neon

Quote from: DrWhite on Mon 02/03/2009 10:04:56

Me too, I already made up some scenes of "the castle" by Franz Kafka but couldn´t think of a not-frustrating way to make a game out of it. I don´t know if anyone would play a kafkaesque game where you are doomed to lose from the start.

I would have played it.  I don't need happy ends, as long as there is some kind of interesting gameplay.

uncle-mum

Quote from: DrWhite on Mon 02/03/2009 10:04:56
QuoteI think the topic was pretty cool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk