May MAGS

Started by Klaus, Wed 04/05/2005 12:48:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Humoristic space game

This time your game needs to take place outer space. Of course you can use a planet as a location or a space ship. Whatever - outer space. You should create something like the SQ-games, a Star Trek- or Star Wars-parody is also possible. But you don't need to refer to existing SciFi series.

- inventory items that must appear: a laser gun, a broken light-saber (like in Star Wars), a working tricorder (like in Star Trek) and an "antique" game
- the game must have one mini-game! This is a unique, stand-alone game inside your adventure game like the pocket game in Apprentice II. It does not need to be too complex but should show some creative scripting, so just a dialog quiz where you need to find the right answer won't do it
- Don't forget about the humorisic part :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by May 27th May 29th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Ubel

I got excited about the rules so I think I'll try this. Great topic! :)

Damara

O.K I'm game.  This should be the kick I need to get started.
This will be my first game so you have to promise not to laugh  :P

Mats Berglinn

The rules sounds fun and I've got an idea for a Star Wars parody. Maybe I can make this one in time.

I'm not into Star Trek so I've wonder, what's a tricorder?

pcj

Hey! Awesome idea!Ã,  I just wish we could get Vohaul Strikes Back out in time to compete.

Oh, and a tricorder is a three-function device: combination sensor, recorder, and computer, all handheld and packaged into one really cool little instrument.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Ubel

Is it allowed that you can have one of those inventory items, but you don't have to have it? I mean that it appears in the game as an easter egg. Also I want the minigame to be an easter egg.

Damara

That looks great Eggie!  God I wish I could draw like that...

One quick question, I have everything else but what do you mean by "antique" game ?  Are we talking like a really old game like snakes and ladders or Pong or something?

Mats Berglinn

I was going to ask the question myself but I wonder if he means antique game like Maniac Mansion, Secret of Monkey Island or DOTT or something like that. Am I correct?

Gilbert

Heh I think it can be something like those games in the software shop in SQ4. ( BOOM(TM), KQ73, It came for Dessert, Defender of the Crown Rib Roast, Sim Sim, etc.)

Ubel

Well, because the game will probably be based in future I think the "antique" game can be something like "Half-Life 2" or something. It's new game now but in the future it's antique.

Mr. Mozzarella

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with all this space stuff. What's a working tricorder?  ??? :-[
Night of Fire - Thread

I control, I am in charge of
Everyones future, red button is mine

Ubel

Quote from: pcj on Thu 05/05/2005 12:22:12
Oh, and a tricorder is a three-function device: combination sensor, recorder, and computer, all handheld and packaged into one really cool little instrument.

:)

Mr. Mozzarella

Quote from: Pablo on Fri 06/05/2005 15:19:51
Quote from: pcj on Thu 05/05/2005 12:22:12

:)

sorry, must have missed that ;) thanks
Night of Fire - Thread

I control, I am in charge of
Everyones future, red button is mine

Klaus

Quote from: Pablo on Thu 05/05/2005 17:25:54
Is it allowed that you can have one of those inventory items, but you don't have to have it?
All listed inventory items must appear in the game and it must be possible to put them into the player's inventory list. They don't actually need to be used to solve a puzzle but of course it's nicer to see these things being in action.

Quote from: Damara on Fri 06/05/2005 03:44:33
... what do you mean by "antique" game ?  Are we talking like a really old game like snakes and ladders or Pong or something?
Take the word "antique" from todays point of view. So cards and chess would best fit this description. Early computer game titles are also allowed if you want to go that way but better do not use current titles. Decide for yourself how "antique" you will go :)

Ubel

I'm asking a favour here. Could you lenghten the deadline with few days? Because my computers have been messing with me and I had to format hard disk. I took copies of my game to my brothers computer but then he took it away with him and I haven't been able to work on my game in at least five days. Tomorrow he will be able to send the files back to me, so if you could lenghten the deadline a little, I would be very pleased. :)

=The=Brat=

Oh i wish i started earlier brecause now ill never finish in time  :'(. anyway heres a pic i did anyway

good luck everyone!

EDIT: its supposed to be a sci-fi called "Stargate SG-1"

Oliver

Hehe, that looks funny. I really hope you get it finished :)
You got it!

Coming Soon!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I am working on an entry but it won't be done by the deadline.

Klaus

Quote from: Pablo on Fri 13/05/2005 18:01:20
I'm asking a favour here. Could you lenghten the deadline with few days?
Okay - let's see what we can do here... As the new competition should start on June 1st, the last possible moment would be midnight on May 29th.  :)
So very early on 30th the voting will begin. We still need some time for voting and setting up the new rules, so is that okay for you? I hope these two additional days will help...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk