Release Something! - Feb, 14th, 2006 NOW

Started by Kinoko, Thu 19/01/2006 10:44:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

How about an updated release of Mind's Eye!

v 1.4

Drastically altered the gui!  It is now less obtrusive since you rarely have more than
2 inventory items at a time.  The button to the left of the inventory window opens the save
screen and the button to the right opens the quit screen.  The inventory slider was removed.

Help menu redesigned for the new gui

Manually edited the font to increase readability!

Disabled the F1 key as it is no longer needed.

This should resolve many of the minor issues people have had with the interface.

Additional changes:

The gurney sequence is now somewhat easier.

The icon is now 8-bit! (thanks CJ)

The menu now has the readme listed.

The improved Mind's Eye font.

The new gui!

Get it here!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=646

Mozesh

Happy Valentine's day all, for this RS I made a quick trailer for my upcoming game:

Way to Heaven

100% of the above image
This is a screenshot from a test scene, which had symbols which are cut away from this image so it's not the actual game resolution

There's some interesting technical information in the trailer, so watch it! 8)

Trailer Download:
Rapidshare download
Gamesport download

The gamesport download is the direct .wmv file not the .rar as from rapidshare, which frankly doesn't save any filesize just 200kb or something...

Barbarian

Hey, great job everyone! Really, some awesome talent we have here. Ã, Some of those samples you people have shared are really "awesome" Ã,  :) Ã, 
I envy (but in a good way) some of the skills you people have.

Largo: Wow! Really makes me look forwards to seeing your completed project. Excellent!

Scotch: Breathtaking! *Bows* You are destined for greatness with that great artistic talent you posess.

Disco: Nice start.. almost "Comic book" style looking for now, but that's a good thing (hey, I used to collect comix) Ã, ;)

Grundi: Heh.. Funny schtuffs! And g'luck with the ongoing BJ project(s).

Gilbot: Retro gaming style looks great.. harkens me back to many-a-year ago. Looks interesting.

Buloght: Fantastic! I love this kinda old-style "RPG"ish type of game. The artwork is delicious... And the "Rain" character, she looks.. Yum! Hehhe! "Please Sir, may I have another?" Ã, ;D

Mordalles: What a great background, really gives a "Horror" type of feel to it. Looking forwards to seeing more goodies from you soon.

Kinoko: Excellent "GUI" work there. And the look of it would fit in great with "RPG" style game.

Erenan: Quit interesting.. Almost "ASCII"ish looking art, and nice old-C64-style sounding type of music. Yeah, it's fairly unique for an AGS project. good stuff.

Privateer: Ã, Nice art. Love the colors.

ProgZ: (In a "Mr. Burns voice") "... Excelllent!" Ã, Great mastery of pixely goodness in your art style!

Mozesh: "Drool", Wow, that's so good! Me wanna play it... now! Excellet job! *Puts your game on my 'Most Looking Forwards To Play' list.

Well, I guess I'll throw up a couple of new "Screenies" of my current GIP, "The Elevator - Redux!". Ã, I know, I know, it's "ripped" graphics, but still it takes a lot of time and effort to edit it all together to make it look "just right". Anyways, I'm sure some of you can still appreciate the work I'm putting into my project.Ã,  Enjoy!
*Note: Screenshots are cropped and/or reduced in size from original, plus saved in "jpg", so what you see here is of a much lower quality than what will be seen in the game.

Jack explores a dark creepy corridor.

In the "Boiler Room". There's things happening here that you can't "see" in a still shot. For example, Animations such as: The fan on the wall spins around, and a mist of steam-vapour escapes sometimes from some of the pipes. All the while accompanying background sounds and noises are heard. Also there are "Lighting" and "Shadow" effects that can't really be appreciated from just a still screenshot. Ã, Sound of footsteps change when the character is walking on the concrete floor or the metal steps. Adding in all these little "touches" is also something that will help make the various scenes and rooms come "alive", and also is why it's a fair amount of work involved and not just simply "ripping" graphics.

BTW: My overall game is now approximately 42% Completed!
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Kinoko

Quote from: Barbarian on Tue 14/02/2006 14:55:57
Kinoko: Excellent "GUI" work there. And the look of it would fit in great with "RPG" style game.

Thanks! But remember, that was "RUI"s post, not mine ^_^

Disco

Quote from: Barbarian on Tue 14/02/2006 14:55:57
Disco: Nice start.. almost "Comic book" style looking for now, but that's a good thing (hey, I used to collect comix)  ;)

Thanks Barbarian :). It means a lot that you say it has a comic style, because that's precisely what I was going for. In fact, the finished art will be penned and inked in that style :D.

Barbarian

Quote from: Kinoko
Thanks! But remember, that was "RUI"s post, not mine ^_^

Ohhh, errr... right you are, I mis-read that other post of yours then...
So, well, "Good Jooeerb there on dat GUI stuff, Rui". Heheh.
Ã,  Ã, 
So, any new "Gift of Aldora" screenies for us then?Ã,  ;)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Corey

Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Gord10

Really nice releases, people :)  Here is my release:
http://rapidshare.de/files/13195142/gord10trailer.zip.html A short trailer for my new game project.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

The Inquisitive Stranger

Okay, I'll jump on the bandwagon. Here's a never-before-released screenshot of the intro screen of The Game That Takes Place on a Cruise Ship

In case you're curious, I plan to have the game itself released exactly a month from now, in commemoration of Pi Day. Excited? Thought so.
Actually, I HAVE worked on a couple of finished games. They just weren't made in AGS.

scourge

Thanks barbarian! The elavator looks awesome!

Where's that demo kinoko??  ;D you promised  :'(

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Just wanted to pop in and thank Kinoko. I thought I wouldn't be home until today ended, and so would miss the comp... well, turns out I did have time. Still, it was mighty grand of you, sai Kinoko! I say thankya!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

The Ivy

Hey all, I managed to have my game Spooks done in time for release something!Ã,  I know, it surprised me too.Ã,  ;)Ã, 

For those of you who don't know, it's a medium-length adventure about a little ghoul girl named Mortia who's trying to save the life of her goldfish, "Spooks."Ã,  It's also my first game, so play nice!

Download Spooks now!

or

Visit the Completed Game thread!

Finally, here's a little something that'll hopefully encourage you to play the game:

Incentive Comic!Ã,  w00t!

Hey, just in time for Valentine's day, a game about death.Ã,  ;)

DanClarke

some rough-as-arse concept work from the intro for LOTLL:

Mordalles

wow, ivy, that's beautiful . . . er . . .  :-[ . . . i mean that is really funny.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

vict0r

I hear a "sexiest ags'er" award coming up ;) :D

EDIT: Thats great Dan! :)

Kinoko

Dan: I'd make a game using your "rough" concept art! Looks excellent, obviously ^_^

Ivy: YAY!!!!! I've been waiting for Spooks. Damnit, I just got to work. 7 hours to go til I can play it.

Corey: Almost looks like a Harvest Moon game o_o Please, say it's so! I adore farming games.

Barbarian:  Looks fantastic!

As to my demo... if I didn't have to spend all day working yesterday (ALL day, I had evening classes to teach too), and all day today working, I could guarantee a demo in time :/ As it is, I've been working -every- spare moment I have on it, and I've gotten a staggering amount done! But there's still a lot of scripting to do... so I can't promise. I'm sorry. If I can't release it by tomorrow, I'll release some music and screenshots too (a lot of the ones in the GiP thread are outdated now). I'll keep working as hard as I am on the demo until it's done though, regardless of whether it's ready for RS or not.

Yes, yes, I know the philosophy of RS is to release at any stage but ... -_- When it's this close, I want it to be properly ready!

Vince Twelve

Quote from: The Ivy on Tue 14/02/2006 21:38:20
Hey all, I managed to have my game Spooks done in time for release something!  I know, it surprised me too.  ;) 

I put up something for the last two Release Somethings, and I don't want to be left out of this one, so I'll just point out that the reason that she "managed" to have Spooks done in time, was because she was whipping me viciously and threatening terrible things if I didn't finish it.

It was kind of hot.

The Scorposer

The Ivy

Whoa whoa whoa there, gentlemen!Ã,  Let's keep this "Disney." ;)Ã,  Yes, I owe my team a lot of gratitude for getting everything done on time, but let me assure you they were compensated only with pats on the back.Ã,  Delivered via whip.Ã,  Gah, I've said too much!Ã, 

Oh, and nice to see a few of you were paying attention to the comic.Ã,  :-[ :PÃ,  I don't really know what to say...I'm flattered but spoken for.Ã,  Sorry, Norway. ;)

Alun

Eh...I'd hoped to have more to show, but here goes.

In the first Release Something last June, I showed sprites for the front views of the two main characters from a game I had just started, and which I said would probably be finished spring or summer 2006.  Heh, heh...well, that was optimistic!  Since then, however, I've had very little time to work on the game, and what little time I did put in on it was spent on planning the story and puzzles, which aren't really things I want to release in advance.  ;)

However, I did want to have something for this Release Something day (I was away from the forums for a while and missed the one back in October), so I figured I'd try to get something else together.  But what?  Well, in response to the sprites I showed in June, Guybrush Peepwood had said he "[couldn't] wait to see them animate."  So...here goes, the animated front view of Pegleg McGrue, from the game-in-progress tentatively titled "Pith and Peg and the Monks of the Chalice":

This is not a final version.  For one thing, something weird is going on with his right hand when it's brought forward, and I need to fix that--er, and his hat isn't supposed to bob like that, either.  Also, the final game is going to be in 32-bit colors, but this image is compressed to 256 colors to fit into an animated gif, so the graphics in the final game should look better.  Still, this may give some idea of how it's going to be.

(I'd hoped to have animated sprites of both main characters, and maybe some from different angles, too, but I didn't get time.  Maybe next time.  Actually, though, I probably should have started with the other character, Sir Pittheus, because he would have been easier to animate--the pegleg on this character gave me some trouble at first.  Anyway, I may post something else in this thread later today--but it's very unlikely I'll have time to do so.)

Everyone else's contributions are looking good, though. 
  • I had a little trouble viewing Largo's trailer (nothing wrong with the trailer; I just don't have my computer set up to view DivX movies easily), but it was worth it--looks great!
  • Scotch's background looks good, too, though I'm wondering how such a vertically scrolling background is going to fit into a game.  (I guess I'll see when the game comes out! ;) )
  • Disco--It'll be interesting to see how much things change between the concept sketches and the final version.  (Some of my first concept sketches for the character above looked very different!)
  • Grundislav--I've been sort of trying to learn Japanese, but am not far enough along to understand the words of the song.  I'll have to listen to it again once I've made more progress.  Sounds good, though, whatever the lyrics mean.
  • Gilbot--Well, your game may be repetitive and boring (I'll take your word for that ;) ), but at least it's got good graphics!
  • buloght--You're doing an RPG too?  (I mean too in addition to Kinoko, not in addition to me--my game's a regular adventure.)  Or is that not being done in AGS?  Looks good, anyway.
  • Mordalles--Very atmospheric graphics.  So the game's going to be a lighthearted comedy, right? ;)  Seriously, though, you've really managed to evoke a strong mood there.
  • Privateer Puddin'--That looks really good for concept art--my concept art tends to be just rough pencil sketches.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the finished art looks!
  • Mozesh--Interesting!  I don't know much about the 3D character plugin, or how your game will work with it, but the snippets shown in the trailer are promising.[li]Barbarian--I want to see how those screens look with the animations you mentioned, but I guess I'll have to wait for the finished game for that.  ;)
  • Corey--Is that art for a specific game you're working on?
  • Inquisitive Stranger--You're releasing another game in a month, eh?  That's good to know.  Having played Cubert Badbone (that was your game, right, or am I confusing you with someone else?), I'm curious to see what this new game is going to be like...[/li]
  • The Ivy--It's good to know Spooks has finally come out; I remember when it was first announced.  I haven't played it yet, but it sounds like a very imaginative game.
  • DanClarke--I guess about the same comments apply as I said for Privateer Puddin', above... ;)

Can't comment on Rui's, Erenan's, ProgZMax's, or Gord's yet, since it's been a busy day and I haven't had time to download them, unzip them, and try them out, but I'll do it as soon as I get a chance.  Hope I didn't forget anyone...

Anyway, great work, everyone!  Looking forward to seeing what else this Release Something day has in store...

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk