September MAGS

Started by magintz, Sat 30/08/2003 21:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

Congratulations to Hobbes for his stunning MAGS game buccaneer. The game really does deserve a round of applause.

MAGS is a competition open to anyone, it is a monthly competition where the previous winner choose's the rules for the next month, and competitors (could be you) make a game withing the month despite graphical or technical skill, so feel free to enter.

Moving on to September with Hobbes rules for this month...

1. Game must be 320 x 200 (320 x 240 also allowed).
2. Ammount of colours is your own decision.
3. It can be in any setting or place.
4. The game *MUST* contain a classic mythical beast outside of its "natural" habitat. E.g. a hydra in New York city.
5. The main character must come into conflict with this creature. Whether the hero wins or not, is up to the creator.
6. If possible, come up with a nice explanation how the creature got there.

Remember:
ALL GAMES MUST BE IN BY 25th SEPTEMBER

Have fun and make yourself a MAGS game.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Privateer Puddin'

good rules but, can i please use 320 x 240

Minimi

I am definatley going to join the MAGS now, (for the first time).
I think it's high time for me, to show some of my potential. I am almost done with Sam&Moos, what I'm actually shouting for months now... but anyway... Í have this great (i hope) idea, and I'm going to make it in flash i guess... no I'm sure... but that just rhymed at flash... so... anyway... I'll post soon some screenie of it ;)

Privateer Puddin'

me too, and ive been here for more than a year :p

Hobbes

Rule addenum:

1a. 320 x 240 is also allowed.

Glad to hear you people like the rules! Am interested to see what games you come up with!

evilspacefart

Hmm... I can work with this. Seems like I'll participate in this MAGS.
You're on, Hobbes!

Paranoia

liked ur last game hobbes :D, i'll give this one a try too, mainly because i can try some things that i'm struggling with in my main project :-\
nice rules BTW

Hobbes

Ishmael

I think I'll also enter, for the first time, if I get my game done by the date... You gave rules to describe my sudden-idea-popped-in-my-head game... 320x240, 16 bit color, set in the present, involves a beast... but I think my beast ain't mystical, which has existed..? Well, I can come up with that easily... Or has there been a warewolf with a birds head?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Hobbes

As I mentioned, a classical mythical beast is allowed. So a werewolf is all right. But if you want something with a bird's head, I think a Hippogriff is the closest you'll get?

Ishmael

I have drawn a pile of pictures about a warewolf with birds head, but I think I can put up just a normal warewolf aswell...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Dave Gilbert

Is the 320 x 200 mandatory?  I ask because I wanted to do a short game like this for a while using my current characters (short of a side-quest type of thing like Grundy's "Granny Zombiekiller" demo) and I'm drawing it in hi-res.

Paranoia

this is my meagre attempt for this MAGS "Terence Independent Terminator" or T.I.T. for short.
our wannabe hero has to save the british monarchy (do we really want to?!) from a nasty mythical creature, with our Tel around  no creature is safe...or person..... lets face it the worlds fffffffffffuuu... screwed!   ;D

320 x240
hi color
sound
voice kinda
3 different endings, ones a nice one!
3d images (some borrowed :-[ see creds)

Minimi

Oh my! I really can't win this one! Well, ill just hope that with my superfunny dialogs (ahum!) that ill have influence on your voting :P O well... its just for fun... MY PENGUIN IS GONNA KICK YOU ARSE!

Nostradamus

Looking mighty good Paranoia

Paranoia

i wouldn't panic minimi my script work sucks!!
ty  Nostradamus

Hobbes

Dave, the reason I chose 320 x 200 (or 320 x 240) was because it's quicker to do. And I also had a blast in making Buccaneer once I was working in that resolution. Far more fun to work with than in 640 x 400, as when I was working on The Strange Day.

So, it is one of the rules. But I won't disallow your game to win if it's in 640 x 400. Seeing as you have a good motivation, I think it's allowed.

sergiocornaga

YES!

A fun one, finally.  ;D

Minimi

Well, here are some of my official screenies of the upcoming game. I've been changing the plot abit, and also the drawingstyle, and I'm happy about the results untill now

the walk animation of the main character

an ingame screenshot, wich shows the place you are starting at.

another background for the game, with some footprints of the yeti on the ground, and some ice, and mirroreffect of the icebergs.

aah... only 3weeks to finish the game! :P

sergiocornaga

Shite, I don't stand a chance.

Oh well, maybe next month...  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk