Sprite Jam: A Novel Concept (24/12 - 7/01)

Started by Pinback, Fri 24/12/2010 10:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinback

Sprite Jam: A Novel Concept

This Sprite Jam;

1) Call to mind a fictional character from any novel/novella/short story you have read, and make a sprite based on how you imagine the character would look.

2) Find a short passage from the story (possibly, although not necessarily, one that describes your chosen character sprite in some way), and post this with your sprite.

If your chosen book/story has been made into a movie, (for instance, you chose Winston Smith from George Orwell's 1984, or Paul Atreides from Frank Herbert's Dune) you can definitely use the movie's visual interpretation of the character as a guide if you like. Same applies with any cover art for the book.

Deadline is the 7th January 2011.

*BONUS - Include an item from the story too. Could be the rat cage from 1984, perhaps a crysknife from Dune.

*Industrial designs or creature designs will also be allowed (ie, vehicle, machine or monster from the story is okay too).

*Your sprite does not have to match any written description exactly. Artisic licence here will be very broad, so there's no need to re-read your particluar story to get the sprite %100 accurate. Many cover artists for novels deviate quite a lot from the author's descriptions, and so can you for this competition.

Anian

Wow, this is pretty wide, still nice choice.

Dibs on Shadow and Mr. Wednesday from American Gods!  ;D Just kidding, I'm saving a spot for entry.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Calin Leafshade

First entry wins right?

I will take my prize now.

he's supposed to be back-lit so it doesnt really work as well on the forum background.

Maybe i'll make a background for him.

Colours: too many.

I'm afraid i've gone for the movie interpretation so the relevant passage from the book wouldnt make much sense. But i give you this for fun:

[Alex has just struck Dim on the legs]
Dim: What did you do that for?
Alex: For being a bastard with no manners, and not a dook of an idea how to comport yourself public-wise, O my brother.
Dim: I don't like you should do what you done, and I'm not your brother no more and wouldn't want to be.
Alex: Watch that. Do watch that, O Dim, if to continue to be on live thou dost wish.
Dim: Yarbles! Great bolshy yarblockos to you. I'll meet you with chain or nozh or britva anytime, not having you aiming tolchocks at me reasonless. Well, it stands to reason I won't have it.
Alex: A nozh scrap any time you say.
Dim: Doobidoob. A bit tired, maybe. Best not to say more. Bedways is rightways now, so best we go homeways and get a bit of spatchka. Right, right?

Pinback

Horrorshow entry Calin!

Here's mine (non-entry), from Piers Anthony's OX.

It had a solid black finish, solid caterpiller treads, a whirling blade - and it was fast. It was seemingly a machine -but hardly the servant of man.
Veg fired his blaster at it. The projected charge should have heated the metal expolsively and blown a chunk out of it. But the polished metal hide only gave off sparks and glowed momentarily. The thing spun about with dismaying mobility and came at him again, the vicious blade leading.
At that point Veg realised he was in a fight for his life.

Ali

I'm back home for Christmas, so that means no Photoshop or Wacom. But at least they have free food and central heating...

Raskolnikov (Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky):

Hastily Googled Quote:
If he has a conscience he will suffer for his mistake. That will be punishment-as well as the prison

For a bonus I was going to draw whatever it is he gives to the pawn broker, but all I could remember was that it was something wrapped in something else, and that sounded hard to draw.

Sughly

Ah yes, nearly forgot about this in all the Xmas madness. Awesome entries thus far...

Quote from: Ali on Tue 28/12/2010 17:48:13
For a bonus I was going to draw whatever it is he gives to the pawn broker, but all I could remember was that it was something wrapped in something else, and that sounded hard to draw.

Lolol ;D, yeah that's all I vaguely recall. What a book though, and great entry. Funny how we all picture the characters differently - he looked nothing like that in my head (I have a bad habit of ignoring what authors tell me they look like though as it betrays my image of them 8)).

Sughly

Alrighty, here's mine - the father from Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

"What would you do if I died?
If you died I would want to die too.
So you could be with me?
Yes. So I could be with you.
Okay."

There's better written passages obviously, but this one captured the moment of the pic a bit better. Got a bit impatient towards the end and rushed the fire glow  ;D

Derrick Freeland

My entry for Le Jam:

This is Hyoi, one of the Hrossa from 'Out of the Silent Planet' by C.S. Lewis.  Here's the passage from the book:

"Suddenly the water heaved and a round, shining, black thing like a cannon-ball came into sight.  Then he saw eyes and mouth--a puffing mouth bearded with bubbles.  More of the thing came up out of the water.  It was gleaming black.  Finally it splashed and wallowed to the shore and rose, steaming, on its hind legs--six or seven feet high and too thin for its height, like everything in Malacandra.  It had a coat of thick black hair, lucid as seal-skin, very short legs with webbed feet, a broad beaver-like tail, strong forelimbs with webbed claws or fingers, and some complication half-way up the belly which Ransom took to be its genitals.  It was something like a penguin, something like an otter, something like a sea lion; the slenderness and flexibility of the body suggested a giant stoat.  The great round head, heavily whiskered, was mainly responsible for the suggestion of sea; but it was higher in the forehead than a seal's and the mouth was smaller."

Pinback

Well it's time to choose a winner, which is hard because you guys all came up with absolutely dope sprites.

The winner is: Derrick Freeland for his Hyoi sprite- an original and visually striking sprite if I ever saw one, and so close to the brief I can almost see his brain working. 

Fantastic work all, I really enjoyed each entry here.

Derrick Freeland

Thanks for the kind words and vote of confidence, Pinback.  They mean a lot coming from an excellent artist such as yourself.  It was a lot of fun working from another person's concept for a change and trying to bring it to life.  My brain is already spinning with ideas for the next Jam, so more on that SOON.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk