SpriteJam (until November 25th 2023): Childhood Movie...WINNER

Started by Misj', Tue 31/10/2023 20:16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

I thought about this long and hard about a theme...
...and then I saw the DVD of the Princess Bride on my desk.

Childhood Movie Character

The rules of this Jam are simple:
1. Draw a character from (one of) your favorite childhood movie(s).
2. No size-limits.
3. No color-limits.
4. Multiple entries are allowed (even from the same movie).
5. Just in case, add a reference link to the movie/character just in case.

Voting starts November 26th Dutch time (so you have up-and-until the 25th to draw).

Creamy

heltenjon

At first I thought "Is it Frank and Joe?" but then I went "No, could it be...?"

It was.

Creamy

Here's my entry:

Hopefully, that'll do.

Cassiebsg

Damn Creamy, now you brought me some memories and inspired me to know which "childhood character" I want to draw. :D

PS - It's not Babe (as I never seen it, nor it come out during my childhood).
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

jwalt

Worked something up for this, but darned if I can figure out how to link it. Used to be easy to do this, but now seems nothing I've tried works. Here's the link to the sprite sized image:

Edit: Figured it out, I guess.

Bigger:

Wallace Beery, aka Long John Silver, will always be "my pirate," despite Cap'n Jack Sparrow's best efforts.

Spoiler

[close]

mkennedy

Quote from: jwalt on Sat 18/11/2023 21:50:31Worked something up for this, but darned if I can figure out how to link it. Used to be easy to do this, but now seems nothing I've tried works. Here's the link to the sprite sized image:

Edit: Figured it out, I guess.

Bigger:

Wallace Beery, aka Long John Silver, will always be "my pirate," despite Cap'n Jack Sparrow's best efforts.

Spoiler

[close]

Wasn't that actor the one who started the whole pirates going "AAARRR" thing? From what I remember he also played BlackBeard.
(EDIT: Nope, it was a different actor from the 50's I was thinking of.)

Misj'

As it turned out, I didn't have access to my computer yesterday, so voting starts right now.

Great entries everyone!

Voting is simple. You get to vote for your favorite in three different categories:
1. in-game usability
2. capturing the original character
3. technique (within the chosen style)
The contestant with the highest total wins.

I will not cast a vote myself unless there is a tie.

newwaveburritos

Reference

jwalt

Reference

Creamy

Reference

RootBound

Well, voting once for each contestant might make my votes mathematically inconsequential, but...  8-)

In game usability: jwalt
Capturing original character: newwaveburritos
Technique: Creamy
They/them. Here are some of my games:

jwalt

Nothing wrong with newwaveburritos' entry, but I liked Creamy's for all three categories.

Sinitrena

In-game usability: Creamy - that one was difficult, I'd say Creamy's and jwalt's are both clearly usable, the little bit of an edge I gave to Creamy is because the different greys in jwalt's entry's trousers might be a bit difficult to animate properly.
Capturing the original character: jwalt - Long John Silver is  one of my favorites as well
Technique (within the chosen style): jwalt - looks good

Cassiebsg

Oops. I forgot about his. I did one at work, but I didn't liked it, so never scanned it. And then I forgot. :/
In case anyone is wondering, my entry would be Jake, from The cat from outerspace (loved the movie when I was little and amused by silliness I guess. ;) )

Anyway, might as well contribute with voting. :) Hard to choose, as all are good and recognizable.

In game usability: jwalt
Capturing original character: Creamy (only because I recognized Babe, and it's a really good looking pig)
Technique: jwalt (I like the pixelated look of him. I good easily see the character show up in MI.)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

RootBound

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 28/11/2023 21:17:17In case anyone is wondering, my entry would be Jake, from The cat from outerspace (loved the movie when I was little and amused by silliness I guess. ;)

Amazing.  ;-D  I actually re-watched this recently and it is still very entertaining. I would love to play a fan game where you use the telekinetic collar to manipulate different objects. (nod)
They/them. Here are some of my games:

Creamy

In game usability: jwalt. Because it's less specific (but we didn't know the voting criteria beforehand).
Capturing original character: newwaveburritos. Both do a good job. I just flipped a coin.
Technique: newwaveburritos. Interesting dithering in jwalt's entry. Yet I chose the picture of newwaveburritos because the flashy and improbable colors work really well IMO.

@jwalt : I don't know Wallace Beery, but my brothers and I enjoyed Charlton Heston as Long john Silver when we were kids.

cat

In game usability: jwalt (I once animated a walkcycle for a character with a walking stick - it was a nightmare, but a pig is probably even more difficult. newwaveburritos' sprite looks more like a promotional poster than a sprite that could be used ingame.)
Capturing original character: Creamy
Technique: Creamy (jwalt's is also nice, but the patten on the pants look like they are leftovers of the reference photo that didn't get a proper paint-over.)

Misj'

All three entries were great. Although I would have loved to have seen Cassie's entry (but then again, I like cats, so I might be biased).

So I've counted the votes and it was close. But the winner is: Creamy

To you befalls the honor of hosting what is likely to be the last Sprite Jam of 2023.

Hannah_Banana

Creamy, as the winner of this round, would you have time to setup the next SpriteJam or given you're running the background comp be keen for a volunteer to set it up?  Keen to see this get kicked off again for 2024!

Creamy

Forgot about that one. And I'd rather not host several competitions simultaneously. Could you please handle it @Hannah_Banana ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk