ANOPHTOS

Started by claire moon, Thu 18/04/2024 06:56:23

Previous topic - Next topic

claire moon

A short point and click horror game.

"When one thinks about the House of Anophtos, one's mind could go to a number of places in the attempt to process it. Fitting, considering the root of the theory itself. Consider the name most know it by: "The House of the Mind". The journey you take in exploring its foundations mirrors that of which the theory itself escribes. If there is indeed a house that only exists in your mind, you must explore that house to understand it. It is my opinion that a route worth taking on your way is the line of etymology. Zoom in on the focus of the house, "Anophtos", and you will find where that foundation lies. The various interpretations from scholars, linguists, et al from across years and years of history will reveal to you, somewhere in the weeds, a kernel of truth. That kernel, in this case, acts as a cipher—one that if you were to put on your face as glasses, the house will then reveal itself to you, somewhere within the ink."

-The House of Anophtos, 1999 (See attached PDF)

DOWNLOAD
AGS Database | Itch

Made in March-April 2024 as a form of therapy. I'm not sure I can really tell you what the game is about. I hope that when playing it you can come to your own conclusion.

heltenjon

Congratulations on the release!

So, I played this. When you say the game is a sort of therapy for you, I guess it means that the hidden meanings here are deeply personal. I hope you achieved the therapeutic effect you wanted.

For everyone else: This must be classified as a horror game of sorts. The settings are dreamlike and uncomfortable, and clearly the environment is symbolic and surreal. The story is told by hints and fragments, some subtle, and some violent. The sad feeling is ever-present, and fans of psychological horror should find a lot here to their liking. I think the story is open enough that several interpretations can be made, not only the author's underlying intentions. The graphics and sound are consistent in their style, and I think it works well in the context it's put in.

Is it a good game? The walking pace is very slow, so there is a bit too much of waiting for my taste. The puzzles aren't logical, which can't surprise anyone given the symbolic nature of the game. But the plot is quite on rails, at least in the last part of the game, so I doubt you will be stuck. The contents may be unsettling, so I'd recommend this for horror buffs or those interested in the darker sides of the psyche. If you're looking for some quick fun, I don't think this game exactly qualifies.

Concluding, there are some qualities here, and the game will be a good fit for an interested target group. It is more of a therapeutic art project than a puzzle- or story-based game, though, so it will not be everyone's cup of tea. The casual gamer is probably not the intended audience, unless in the mood for something different.

MIGGO

Congrats on releasing this game.

I love psychological horror so I knew I'd like this game. I was drawn in by the grainy art style and surrealness. The game got very grotesque as it went along, but I think the feelings it envoked were relatable, although heavy.

The PDF booklet was very artfully crafted and nice additional art.
What is Palace Cheese?
A dodge move in Romanian swordplay.

LimpingFish

I like this a lot, and I was particularly impressed at how it managed to avoid a lot of the tropes of the genre.

As someone who suffers from mental health issues myself, I'm hope that developing the game was beneficial for you, and I hope to see more from you in the future. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

sthomannch

Wow! This was definitely out of the ordinary.The make was superb and immersive, but also depressing. Left me thinking a lot.

I also hope that you gained from it, but what can I say other than All the Best?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk