6 Days a Sacrifice

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 25/01/2007 08:00:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Yahtzee himself won't post, so I might as well. :)

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/6days/

6 Days A Sacrifice is the fourth and final instalment of the John DeFoe series, which thus far has encompassed 5 Days A Stranger, 7 Days A Skeptic and Trilby's Notes. Since this game is intended to tie up the loose ends left behind by the three previous episodes, it is highly recommended that you play through all of them first.

b a c k g are o you n d

196 YEARS AGO:

- The DeFoe Manor Incident takes place. Trilby, the master thief, successfully destroys the body of vengeful wraith John DeFoe and escapes his clutches. (5 Days A Stranger)

- After being caught in a reality shift at the Clanbronwyn Hotel, Trilby learns the nature of the Ethereal Realm and the Scientific Realm, of the demonic deity Chzo, and the plan to create a bridge between the realms by destroying the three aspects of John DeFoe. He has the Soul blasted into space to prevent that from happening, but this only serves as a delaying tactic. Meanwhile, Chzo's acolyte, Cabadath, aka the Tall Man, crosses over to the Scientific Realm to orchestrate the building of the Bridge. (Trilby's Notes)

196 YEARS FROM NOW:

- The Soul is recovered by the scoutship Mephistopheles, floating unprotected in space. After John DeFoe's influence kills off the entire crew save one, Dr. Jonathan Somerset, the Soul is finally destroyed in the ship's engines. It is then discovered that Somerset is an impostor, and he is arrested. (7 Days A Skeptic)

TODAY: JULY 22nd, 2189

- Theo DaCabe, a surveying officer for Buckinghamshire County Council, is assigned to run a routine health and safety assessment on the headquarters of a fad religion called Optimology. Little does he realise that he is about to be caught up in the machinations of destiny, and a plot that has simmered for two centuries.

<no pic so as not to steal bandwidth from his site>

Click here to download 6 Days A Sacrifice for Windows (approx 2Mb, play manual included) (thanks RoushiMSX for hosting)

Mirror  - thanks Dennis Ploger

And don't forget the countdown trilogy that completes the John DeFoe quadrilogy:

c o you n t d o w n

In the runup to the release of 6DAS, I wrote and realised a trilogy of brief text adventures to foreshadow the plot of the eventual game. You can still download them from here. They require a Zmachine interpreter like Winfrotz to play.

Countdown games on the same page as linked above.

EDIT - Blast automatic TXT spelling that transformed COUNTDOWN into COYOUNTDOWN! :=
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

vict0r

You should check the "b a c k g are o you n d" header aswell :=

Anyway..! Awesomeness!!!

Tom S. Fox

Sorry, but I'm stuck right at the beginning.
I lie there on that bed and don't know what to do.

Gluehead

I'm glad I checked this place before I went to sleep.

R4L

Wow, great so far, have I made it the farthest? Im here:

Spoiler

I have the "idea" of a pickaxe, and the main corridor is changing, while the girl (not Samantha) is chasing me wearing the welding mask and holding the knife. Instead of the Medical Storage Room, there is the door from 5DAS, and it takes me to the shed from 5DAS (I got the "idea" of the pickaxe there). Now in the Dorm Room, where the bunks are, the door to the right is glowing. In that door, I am in the kitchen from 5DAS. The woman wearing the welding mask comes from the right door. If I use the pickaxe on the "idea" of the hole where Trilby found John Defoe, the game says that the hole recognizes the pickaxe, and the woman leaves, but I cannot do anything after that, except leave.
[close]

If any one is stuck where I am, or has gotten past that part, help would be greatly appreciated! Great game so far, I'd like to finish it!  ;)

Jon

I've been waiting sooooo long for this, downloading now!

Lucky

Quote from: R4L on Thu 25/01/2007 10:00:03
Spoiler

I have the "idea" of a pickaxe, and the main corridor is changing, while the girl (not Samantha) is chasing me wearing the welding mask and holding the knife. Instead of the Medical Storage Room, there is the door from 5DAS, and it takes me to the shed from 5DAS (I got the "idea" of the pickaxe there). Now in the Dorm Room, where the bunks are, the door to the right is glowing. In that door, I am in the kitchen from 5DAS. The woman wearing the welding mask comes from the right door. If I use the pickaxe on the "idea" of the hole where Trilby found John Defoe, the game says that the hole recognizes the pickaxe, and the woman leaves, but I cannot do anything after that, except leave.
[close]

Spoiler
Just wait until she gets verrry close to the hole, then use the pickaxe on it.
[close]

Welp, played it through on one sitting and I must say I'm bloody happy with the result, even if it wasn't as scary as Trilby's Notes was, probably because I saw some of the surprises coming. Wraps things up surprisingly well though.

Spoiler
The end did leave me with some questions as I didn't really recognize all the pictures during the credits.
[close]

R4L

Well, on the 6th day Lucky, but I don't understand the concept of the trilbys.

Spoiler
I can't get all 3 pieces of the Welder. I can get the knife, and the mask from upstairs, but I run out of trilbys by then, and I die when I leave. How do I get past this I have tried everything.
[close]

EDIT: Woo! Finally finished it! I don't really get it though. I didn't really understand Trilby's Notes either. Was TN about the creation of:

Spoiler
the idol and the chzo clan?
[close]

And this game:

Spoiler
I don't get why there are cloned trilbys. I read every thing the game offered, but I still don't get it. I also don't understand Mr. Somerset's position. How is he the wise man who can teleport? Has he joined the clan? Is there something I am missing?
[close]

Sythe

Most enjoyable. Not too easy either, perfect.

I am glad this will be the last game for this (defoe) story line. I think anymore would be too much of a 'tack on' and detract from the worth of the orginal story.

Akatosh

Playing through this game has given me way more time to work on my own projects. Why? Because I played Trilby's Notes and this one in a row in a completly dark room and it'll probably be like ten weeks 'till I can sleep again. So I have the whole next 70 nights to work on _Access.

Vel

I think it's a nice game altogether, but  the problem stays the same as in 7 days and especially Trilby's notes - the idea is pretty much dried up. I think Yahtzee should explore new ground.

Lucky

Quote from: Vel on Thu 25/01/2007 21:58:46
I think it's a nice game altogether, but  the problem stays the same as in 7 days and especially Trilby's notes - the idea is pretty much dried up. I think Yahtzee should explore new ground.

Personally, I'd be happy if he just got back to comedy.

Cinfa

Wow, just finished it.
but...
Spoiler

Is there a timer qhen you're buried in the metal crate and have to interact with darkness while it's moving? Because the first time I went there the shacking stopped and the char keeped his hand over darkness...
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Explore new ground, sure, as all artists and creators must, but I'm very glad he wrapped this up. The whole 4 parts plus the Countdown trilogy are rather more than the sum of its parts, I believe. Taken as a whole, this series has been quite an extraordinary event in the indie adventure scene.

I only have one question - BIG spoiler ahead.

Spoiler
So, am I right in thinking that Chzo did all this to replace the Prince? Ever since Cabadath became the Prince, as I recall, there'd been plotting to build the bridge. Well, the bridge was built, and Chzo knew he couldn't get past, and he brought something in instead - the New Prince. So... is this what it was all about? Getting a new prince?

EDIT - Oh, I get it, he sucked Trilby in as well, didn't he? But - again, why did he?
[close]

R4L:

Spoiler
The concept of the Trilby's, playing a bit on the 6th Day film and mankind-creaton theme I guess, is simply that John DeFoe had grown to fear Trilby. As the Caretaker explains, the only way the cult could survive around the remains of the manor infected with DeFoe's madness (or whatever) was by surrounding themselves of Trilbies.

Somerset is a bit of a loophole - who was born first, the chicken or the egg? It's Somerset *as the caretaker* that allows Somerset to BECOME the caretaker - in the process saving Trilby's life back in the end of TN.

IMHO, TN was simply about background story. A lot of it, in order to expand upon the whole theme, make a preliminary bridge between 5 days and 7 days, and build up enough material for the conclusion. It was also about the puppet's attempt to arrogantly offer Trilby to Chzo - thus damaging the prophecies, which Chzo would really be pissed about.
[close]

Kneel. Now.

TheJBurger

Quote from: Vel on Thu 25/01/2007 21:58:46
I think it's a nice game altogether, butÃ,  the problem stays the same as in 7 days and especially Trilby's notes - the idea is pretty much dried up. I think Yahtzee should explore new ground.
I'd have to agree with that.

It was a pretty good game overall, but I found the plot just too confusing. I played all of Trilby's Notes and most of the other games, and I couldn't remember exactly who was the "bridgekeeper," "The Guide," and exactly what those terms referred to.
Spoiler
And then a whole time paradox sub-plot was thrown in that just kind of confused me even more.
[close]
Maybe I just need to play all the other games again...

It also would've been nice if you could click on the individual entries in the Journal and have them pop up.

Aside from that, it's still a great game, but IMO Trilby's Notes was better.

thewalrus

I haven't had time to play much of 6DAS yet but I played a drop and I thought to myself that it might be a good idea for me to replay the others first. From what some of you guys are saying I think it might be a good idea (well at least I like the idea). I got some downloading to do.....  ::)
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

The Ivy

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and impressed by the usual Yahtzee level of artistry (especially the dialogs). Mad props for the many well-executed scary moments, and the way he was able to tie everything together at last. However, the game felt a bit like a playthrough of confusing/unexplained plot points from the past games.

Spoiler
An army of clone Trilbys? Well, okay, but it seemed excessive that he had to die violently so many times. The worst thing he suffered in previous games was the occasional scare...although I guess he did 'die' in "Trilby's Notes. I had come to like the character a bit much to see him get torn apart so much in this game, and his personality seemed totally different as well.

Also, the suspicions that Siobhan O'Malley from Trilby's Notes was somehow more involved with the Order never came to light.
[close]

Sythe

Why doesn't Yahtzee return to AGS forums? This forum remains his main audience, it seems stupid that he would develop by proxy because of pride.

Regardless of what he has done in the past, I think many (if not all) of us have so much respect for him that it is comparable with our respect for Chris Jones.

Yahtzee's games remain, and always will be, a big part of AGS history. Without which I am sure many people would have never found the inspiration to make their own serious games.

I know Yahtzee reads these threads, so this post is mainly for him.

GreenBoy

Very true.  Yahtzees games have really proved what a powerful tool AGS really is.
Leading to a whole lot of others producing some great games that have come out recently.

All the time I see more effort and design go into these games.  When I first looked at AGS it seemed like it could do a lot more.

Now it really is.

Cheers Yahtzee.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh, every thread that someone else posts for a Yahtzee game always causes someone "newer"* to go "Yahtzee should come back". Never fails.

Ivy, I don't recall that suspicion, what exactly originated it?

*"newer" is a very relative term. I'm talking about non-oldies, mostly, and people who have neither seen his presence and disappearance (myself included) nor read all the similar posts other people wrote in the lines of "Come back Yahtzee" or similar".

Kneel. Now.

SSH

Someone should create a games page for this...

m0ds

AGA normally does it, doesn't he? I haven't really seen him on the forums much lately, though.

RE the game, I've played up to Day 2 and I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm glad this one is a point and click. The art and animation is really nice, the storyline is very involving too. Yahtzee states that if you haven't played the other games you won't understand this installment, but I've played it and I haven't completed the other three games - and it still makes quite a bit of sense. Well, enough to know what to do at least ;) Good work Yahtzee.

Snake

Yeah, he's a hell of a story writer. I finished it earlier this morning. This is what I posted on his forums:

Just finished.
All I've got to say is, WOW. This has got to be the best series I've ever played. It's always got you on you're toes and got you thinking throughout the entire thing - which is the best thing an adventure game can offer. Truly loved it.
It's sad to know that 6DAS is the last of the series, but at the same time it's great since Yahtzee can work on more projects (hopefully horror) and finally put this series to rest before it had a chance to get old.

"A" fucking "++" !

Last night I played for a bit and was in the middle of Day Four when I saved and quit. I opened up 5DAS and played that for a while which I haven't played since the follow-ups. After playing the rest of the games, playing 5DAS again brings on a whole new atmosphere - it's incredible how it made me feel... it was more EERIE and draws you in a bit more. It's hard to explain since I'm an idiot when it comes to words.

But anyway, I plan on playing all of them again. And most likely again after that.

Thank you, Yahtzee, for one hell of an experience.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Jon

Just finished, this is already a big favourite for the next AGS awards!

Brilliant stuff.

aussie

I finished it in one sitting! I must say the plot beats me, but the game is great.

Does anyone else feel Yahtzee is kinda drifting towards making interactive movies?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Jonez

6das is definitely the best one from the four games. I was just wondering that he could make just one last game from Trilby. Only this one would be all the four games in one large package. (This is for Yahtzee if he's reading) This may be too far stretched, but something like this: What if in this final game you would play each day from each game before the 2nd day? It might be a good idea, but it also might be too confusing for the player.

Snake

6DAS is definately the final game in the series. Don't want to draw it out much longer, it'll just get old quick.
There are some people that are making a remake of 5DAS, in free-roaming 1st person. Sounds like it'll be pretty cool and they're keeping it as an adventure game. Yahtzee assures that it's not a shoot-em-up - which would intensly blow.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Svartberg

Man I love those games, thanks a lot to Yahtzee for those nighttime adventure games :)

Though I feel a bit daft, I simply didn't get the ending :(
If anyone finished and got it, please read the hidden text below, thanks ;)

Spoiler
What was the big punchline at the ending - why did the whole events take place ?
And who was that black cloaked prince, and what does he have to do with anything ?

Please reply using the [ hide ] tags, thanks.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

As for who was that black cloaked prince... well...

Spoiler
He's the Prince, once Cabadath. Remember him from Trilby's Notes? It's understandable if you missed him in Notes, after all he's merely central to the plot. ;)
[close]

As for why, I asked that myself. There's some theories over at the FR forum, but I prefer this community, elitist bastard that I am.

Kneel. Now.

Sythe

Quote from: Svartberg on Fri 26/01/2007 23:21:05
Man I love those games, thanks a lot to Yahtzee for those nighttime adventure games :)

Though I feel a bit daft, I simply didn't get the ending :(
If anyone finished and got it, please read the hidden text below, thanks ;)

Spoiler
What was the big punchline at the ending - why did the whole events take place ?
And who was that black cloaked prince, and what does he have to do with anything ?

Please reply using the [ hide ] tags, thanks.
[close]

Spoiler

Yeah I wasn't paying enough attention to the story line either. I think it went something like this. The events in the future and past and present are all interconnected because the god of pain sees future present and past all at the same time.

The events were so 'powerful' they sent 'ripples' of weakness back through time. Where the ripples built a standing wave (in the present) an especially weak spot occured between the dimensions. The bomb tore the gateway at this point and the character you play is taken across to become the new prince.

I can't remember how the old prince was enstated but I think its supposed to be symbolic of a feedback loop.

One thing that did annoy me about the game is the 4 pointed star. I think it is pretty much common knowledge, and commonly expected, that satanism in any form uses some nature of pentagon (usually upside down.) Obviously he was just trying to be different, but I think the star still should have been a pentagon.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Re the 4 pointed star - but the cult isn't about satanism. It's about worshipping Chzo. It's a whole different matter. It's not a catholic deal, it's a more pagan and/or esoteric deal. Just because we perceive Chzo to be evil doesn't automatically make him Satan.

Kneel. Now.

LocutusofBored

The punchline is this:

Spoiler
"And the arrogant man knew the name of the King." In Trilby's notes, whenever someone died, they "knew the name of the King". The arrogant man, or the tall man was the main bad guy in Trilby's notes, and now he has been usurped by the new baddie. So the pun is that the bad guy got his. I guess you really had to play the other games to get the point.
[close]

[Cameron]

Hmmm... finished it last night. Definatley not the best. 5DAS a stranger totally kicks it's ass. I felt this game was a bit weak, personally I felt the story raised questions rather than put them to rest, which I believe was the intended purpose of the piece. Anyway, I felt this was a weak outing, and it could have been done so much better.

Stupot

Bloody hell... I was about to go to bed...
I suppose I'll just play it for a little while.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Locotus, that IS a punchline of sorts, but it still doesn't help us understand why everything took place.

Spoiler
I'm sure Chzo didn't want to create the bridge to play a joke on the bad guy, which wasn't even the bad guy for him - 'twas his Prince
[close]

Kneel. Now.

Akatosh

Is it just me or was the only game you really, really, really had to play Trilby's Notes? I mean, okay, you understand a bit more of the plot if you played 5DAS and 7DAS before, but the whole Chzo/Tall Man/Realm/Dungeon stuff was in Trilby's Notes! Alas, the net result after the whole plot:

Spoiler

* John DeFoe is dead now. Really. This time seriously. Totally.
* Chzo has a new servant. And Trilby.
* There now is something like the "caretaker" enforcing destiny's will.
* The realms are, again, seperated and it doesn't look like there will be another bridge soon.
[close]

There is one thing I noticed, though, that doesn't seem to fit.

Spoiler

In 5DAS Trilby uses magic twice, if you remember. But, as it seems, that realm he lives in is the "Scientific Realm", isn't it? And in 6DAS, it is said that "the Scientific Realm has not the slightest background magick". Why did the wraith summoning / body tracing work in 5DAS? Or is Trilby living in the "magick realm" and I just didn't get it? How can there be something like the Mephistopheles, then, if it's not the scientific realm?
[close]

BunnyMilk

Love x

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Akatosh, there's two theories there.

1st:

Spoiler
John DeFoe had already been struck dead by the idol, and had merged with the wood already, or whatever the hell it was it did. So the magick in him was probably already affecting the house. Which also explains why no one could get out, and all. Which also explains how all those events could happen in 7 Days, in the Scientific Realm.
[close]

2nd, and the one I think is truest:

Spoiler
Yahtzee made 5 Days as a ghost story and didn't think of tying it all up in some grand manner until Notes, and then in Notes he tried to make it look as though it were all planned from the first, and did it in such a way that we can now actually find sense in a chronology where, frankly, the first two games did not relate to the later-introduced background at all.
[close]

;D

Kneel. Now.

TheCheese33

After I played Seven Days a Skeptic, I almost attacked anyone who went into my room, thinking they were possessed by the Welder.

After I played Trilby's Notes, I would (and still do) shiver when anyone mentioned a "tall man".

Hell, I don't know what this game'll do to me, but I can't wait to find out.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

AnT hook

Defenetly the best AGS series. While the last part wasn't up to the standarts of 5DAS or TN, it still looks very good and professional. And original. Original stories are so rare today, and Yahtzee managed to come up with a whole new concept. I hope he will continue to create dark stories and univerces. He's so good at it.

Snarky

Quote from: Akatosh on Sat 27/01/2007 10:40:50
Spoiler

* John DeFoe is dead now. Really. This time seriously. Totally.
* Chzo has a new servant. And Trilby.
* There now is something like the "caretaker" enforcing destiny's will.
* The realms are, again, seperated and it doesn't look like there will be another bridge soon.
[close]

Spoiler
Don't forget that you killed the Trilby inside of Chzo as Malcolm Somerset/the caretaker (and used his soul to revive Trilby at the end of TN). So Chzo doesn't get him "in the end", only for a while.

Chzo's plan, on the whole, strikes me as seriously crappy. If he never wanted to enter the realm of technology at all, then the entire plot must have been just an effort to replace The Tall Man as Prince. Why? You'd rather have a crippled building inspector than a kick-ass druid as your servant? Besides, in Cadabath's case there was a good reason why he became The Prince. What did Dacabe do? Nothing! He just wore a silly outfit and tried to keep a bomb from exploding. If Chzo can make anyone who enters his realm his servant, wouldn't Trilby have been a better choice?

Also, everything The Caretaker did seemed in the end to help Chzo's plan come to pass. WTF? Now granted that as evil plots go, this one didn't turn out too bad, but was it really that important to ensure things happened the way they were destined to? What would have been the problem if that bomb hadn't gone off? John DeFoe?
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Snarky, as regards the caretaker,

Spoiler
his very creation relies on a loop of destiny, as it were. Even if he didn't choose to make sure things happened as they were destined "just because", then here's another more believable reason - if he didn't make sure it happened as it was supposed to, the loop would probably break. What would happen to him, then?
[close]

Kneel. Now.

Akatosh

Taking everything into regard...
Spoiler

The caretaker did not make Chzo's plan a success on the whole. And that doesn't make sense - I mean, he helps Chzo getting his... erm, helps Chzo to get Trilby, but then takes him away again after some time?

And I guess John DeFoe would have been a major problem. There was only one Trilby left, and I think that one could never have stopped John DeFoe from actually rising again. Remember, his mind and desire to kill were left. He would have probably corrupted and killed the whole city above him.

What did Dacabe do... well, he survived the attacks of The Tall Man. Doesn't that show he's better than that guy?
[close]

Snarky

Rui,
Spoiler
Well, according to himself, Somerset would still have killed his dad, but would have got away with it (because there would have been no coffin floating in space because Trilby would have died at the end of TN), and wouldn't have had to live through 7DAS. Doesn't sound so bad to me. All he ever wanted to do was be a ship shrink, anyway.

(More likely, as the caretaker he was just lying to his earlier self, and he would have been caught, since the police were already on to him. So: jail. Still, probably a better deal than 7DAS followed by a padded cell, suicide, and being a slave to destiny.)
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Snarky, good points. Guess we'll just have to make to with "the universe would explode if there was a paradox like him not doing what he did before". :=

Kneel. Now.

TheCheese33

Spoiler
I think the reason Trilby wasn't chosen as the new servant was because Trilby must've pissed off Czho a whole lot. Besides, he needs copies of Trilbies in order to survive. Don't you think something messed up might happen if there was an evil Trilby and many good ones?
[close]

Actually, I really do think the "time paradox world explody" thing is much more simpler, so I'll go with that. ;D
need...More...WOUND!

horace

Mood was very good as usual. Experience shines through. But it was not as fun, or as captivating as the previous games. I can't really call it a game too, more like an interactive movie.

I'm disappointed, only because of great expectations.

qwert

Lucky

Spoiler
I suppose we can never expect to find out the reason Chzo replaced Cabadath. Didn't the Caretaker say something about Theo just being a pawn in a game too complicated for them to understand? Chzo clearly had some reason to do so, on a much larger scale.

And Somerset probably didn't want to get to space bad enough to kill his own father. As seen in the Countdown-episodes. The Caretaker can quite effectively make people want to do whatever he orders.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Lucky, re replacement: I hope not. That would mean the whole series is the biggest cliffhanger I've ever seen. :P I want closure from 6DS, not the mother of all cliffhangers.

Kneel. Now.

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

TheCheese33

No, there's not going to be another one; Yahtzee said so himself that this was the last game in the DeFoe story line. But we all know what happened last time, when he said he was retiring from adventure games.  ;D
need...More...WOUND!

Hammerite

i hope he does go back to doing serious and atmospheric adventure games at some point.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Akatosh

Yeah, that "Days" series was just to flat and light-hearted...  :=

But still, I'm curious why he left the forums in first place. Did they insult him or what?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

The story is in the wiki. That's ANOTHER topic that always comes up on his games' threads. :)

Kneel. Now.

m0ds

QuoteBut still, I'm curious why he left the forums in first place. Did they insult him or what?

I don't know the truth but I do know from experience, people at these forums are more likely to bash than they are congratulate. And that sucks. If there's one place an AGS developer wants to receive good comments are these forums, and it's always 50/50. Plus, regulars seem to "disappear" when a decent game comes out. When we released the FoY demo I heard comments from 99% people I've never heard of and 1% people I do know of. Personally I wanted it the other way round. Someone like Yahtzee can get more praise in other places, so what's the point in hanging out here?

enkerro

Well, this game was ok, not mind-blowing but ok nonetheless.

7 Days is still the best in the series. :)

Stupot

7 Days is my least favourite of the four... although it's gone up in my esteem now that I know how it fits in with the mythology.
My ranking of the quartet is this:
1. 5 Days
2. Trilby's Notes
3. 6 Days
4. 7 Days

I'm glad we have a kind of cliffhanger of sorts, but I think Yahtzee should leave the series alone now, at least for the moment.  and work on new projects.  Although I still think he should write a screenplay for Trilby and tout it round the film companies... He could make millions.

TheCheese33

What I heard is that Yahtzee felt he became too egotistical, because he was making comments on the forums no one was very happy about. He decided to leave so he wouldn't upset anyone. Although, I've also heard he sometimes appears on the forums under a different alias...
need...More...WOUND!

InCreator

I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was quite alright.

I totally don't get the story, and with billion times same cult-murder-curse thing happening in adventure games, I don't care to spend more headache on it. Not my type of thing, I guess.

But the game itself is quite good, although it's very short and plays out like an interactive cartoon.
The quality of everything is definetly higher than previous series. And Yathzee is always at his best when it comes to creating an atmosphere, no disappointment here neither.

I think that Croshaw can write a good story, but he overdoes it.
Isn't simplicity the genius?

**erases  game and gets back to Ben-Jordan-sequel waiting mode
I simply like Grundislav's works more.

m0ds

It would be good if Yahtzee came back, cos it'd be interesting to see how he would reply to posts like Increators :P

Akatosh

"People like you know how to suck out the fun of everything. I'd really like to keep this going, but with such persons everywhere, I can't really see why I should. If you need me, I'm over at fullyramblomatic.com. See you", probably?  :=

(I bet 10 bucks he decides to come back, reads this post and then writes a rant about what a moron I am)

SSH

Babar

Your on. When is the deadline for this bet?

Just for my clarification, here is a narratorially (is that a word?) sequential list of what I percieve to have happened (correct me if I'm wrong):

Spoiler

*There is this great pain-master Chzo.
*Druid type priest guy tries summoning Chzo, only to become his slave as the Tall Man, who goes around killing things in all the following points.
*His house/his friend/someone (I forgot this part) gets turned into a tree
*Various things happen with the wood of this tree, some involving an inn, but most importantly, it gets carved into an idol on a ship on it's way to...somewhere
*The idol ends up in a house, where a man beats to death his son with it, causing him to turn into what is popularly known as "The Welder".
*Trilby comes around to the house, gets trapped, but escapes, to burn down the house, and send the idol into space
*Trilby joins up a secret government agency, and is involved in an incident at the Clanbrwn(sp?) hotel, where he faces off (partially) the Tall Man and almost dies (or does he?). I'm a little fuzzy at this point.
*Some years later a building inspector is called to investigate some odd happenings at a Optimology building. He is trapped and despite his best efforts becomes a servant to Chzo in place of the Tall Man.
*Many many years later, the son of a psychiatrist kills his father so as to be able to join up a spaceship. This spaceship intercepts a coffin sent out by Trilby and bloody murder insues.
*Somerset destroys the idol and the spirit connected to it(Is this DeFoe at this point? Or building inspector transformed?) but is caught and condemned for the murders that occured.
*At a mental asylum, Somerset kills himself with a special knife, allowing him to become a "guide" spirit thing, which can then move around in time and space with ease.
[close]

I really don't have a favourite, the whole 'genre' being one that I'm not too fond of, but it's interesting to note that the first two are more easily remembered by me than Trilby's Notes and 6DaS.

EDIT: Damn you SSH! You have out-timed me! We shall meet again, and that time I will prevail!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Akatosh

Let's just say you two gambled! I'm out of it and, um, over there. Waaay over there.

Spoiler

And the soul bond to the idol still was/is/will be John DeFoe's.
[close]

InCreator

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 29/01/2007 12:02:33
It would be good if Yahtzee came back, cos it'd be interesting to see how he would reply to posts like Increators :P

Why should he answer my post? I didn't say the game's bad, but that I simply don't admire the story much and it isn't anything revolutionary neither.
Also, it's an over-average computer game, but he didn't cure cancer or something so everyone should join the cheering masses.

m0ds

It was a joke, therefore, no long reply for you.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Babar, your timeline is almost correct.

Spoiler
Cabadath the druid's soul (or something) is put inside the large tree that grows where his house was. It's not until the tree is felled that he starts, as the Tall Man, killing whoever hurt the wood - which was now his flesh.

Trilby doesn't send the idol to space immediately, only after Trilby's Notes.

You forgot to say that, apparently, the caretaker himself goaded Somerset into killing his father.

You left out the events in the Countdown trilogy, but they just describe the path of Frehorn's Blade.
[close]

It's a rather stripped down version of events, but chronologically it's absolutely perfect. Apart from the Trilby thing I just mentioned.

Kneel. Now.

TheCheese33

It'd be cool if someone wrote down everything that happened in the series...not just a summary. That way, we could make it like a novel. I think it would be cool if someone made an illustrated novel. It would be a lot scarier that way.

EDIT: Also, I've been hearing some things of this game being like an interactive movie. How so?
need...More...WOUND!

InCreator

Quote from: TheCheese33 on Mon 29/01/2007 21:37:32
EDIT: Also, I've been hearing some things of this game being like an interactive movie. How so?

Well, compared to previous games of the series, there's very little of actual "game" in it. You mostly click yourself from cutscene to cutscene. Also, most of the puzzles consist only going here or there and picking something up.

TheCheese33

Just finished the game. I don't get why people didn't like it; the game was great! To the person who said they didn't get the pictures in the end, you have to play through the other games to understand them.

Spoiler
I thought it all made sense...the story was absolutely brilliant as a 4-game trilogy (though the Trilby's Notes game seems more like one of those spin-offs than part of the DAS series. How the psychaitrist became the caretaker, how the dude in this game became the welder, and how Trilby became destined to relive John DeFoe for eternity. I am curious, though; does this mean the dude in this game was the one from 5DAS and 7DAS? And it seems ironic that the caretaker helped the dude become the protecter of DeFoe's soul in 7DAS, and eventually became the dude's killer. And what of Chzo? Will he be killed by the real God, or was Chzo destroyed at the end of 7DAS?
[close]

Anyway, now that the storyline has ended, will Yahtzee retire from games again, or will he make a new game? I hope he goes back to comedy, too; something has to light me up from this serious game. ;D
need...More...WOUND!

osaris

Just completed the game.
I thought it was fantastic and loved the story. The very first ags game i played, nearly two years ago now, was 5 days a stranger and 6DAS concluded things perfectly.
Ben Croshaw should be very proud of his series. I know i would be.

Lucky

Quote from: TheCheese33 on Tue 30/01/2007 00:49:32To the person who said they didn't get the pictures in the end, you have to play through the other games to understand them.

Spoiler
I suppose you could explain me the guy with the light and Trilby in the white room then.
[close]

Leonard LePage

Quote from: Lucky on Tue 30/01/2007 06:22:43
Quote from: TheCheese33 on Tue 30/01/2007 00:49:32To the person who said they didn't get the pictures in the end, you have to play through the other games to understand them.

Spoiler
I suppose you could explain me the guy with the light and Trilby in the white room then.
[close]

I suppose that I can explain this to you.
Spoiler
The scene is from 5 Days a Stranger when trilby finds AJ's body at the bottom of the pool.
[close]

Lucky

Stranger, I thank thee for making me look and feel dumb.

voh

Instead of playing this, I played all the games in order before starting it, to refresh my memory. I have to say the story is exquisite, though still confusing.

I loved the Book of Chzo. It's written in exactly the way a religious document should be written, and it explains everything perfectly.

It was shorted and easier than 5DAS AND 7DAS, but it was better in production value and freakout value. Of course, I wasn't freaked out, but I got the chills twice. 7 days a stranger made waaaayyyy more sense after this, and it was obvious Trilby's Notes was really important in getting what the whole thing was about. 5DAS was actually the least important, as it was referenced in clear terms, and what happened then was repeated throughout the other games.

Ranked on awesomeness, I present you my list:
- 6DAS
- Trilby's Notes
- 7DAS
- 5DAS

Yes, I do think the games got better and better. At the very least in that the farther the development of the series went, the story was fleshed out and a specific plotline was decided on. 5DAS was the intro, the pilot, with an ambiguous plot, and 7DAS seemed to randomly be tied in to it. Trilby's Notes put that all toghether, and 6DAS finished it.

Playing these games also made me want to play Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment again, which I finished in one sitting of 5 hours. Though, I do agree most of that time was spent smuggling armaments from Remus 6 to Frumious Prime, and kicking police butt along the way. I'm such a pirate sometimes.
Still here.

Sinitrena

The game was interessting, like all of Yahtzees games. It was well made and atmospheric (sp), but I didn't like it anyway. I neither liked Trilby's Notes as much as 5DAS and 7DAS. In my opinion the story just went too confusing with Trilby's Notes and 6DAS didn't exactly help to explain everything.

I prefer serous games and so I don't think Yahtzee should make funny games again. What I really would like to see are more games with Trilby in them. They could take place before 5DAS so that they are not part of this series. That would be great. I just love the Trilby character  :D

Das Plans

Wow, what a great game. Thanks, for creating this awsome series!

The only thing I didn't get: what was so special about this building inspector to become the new ... thing? However - great atmosphere. I really enjoyed this game. And certainly not for the last time.

Thanks a lot!

Gamer_V

Quote from: Das Plans on Tue 30/01/2007 19:41:30
Wow, what a great game. Thanks, for creating this awsome series!

The only thing I didn't get: what was so special about this building inspector to become the new ... thing? However - great atmosphere. I really enjoyed this game. And certainly not for the last time.

Thanks a lot!
Spoiler
I don't think he was at first. But when he entered the building, he suffered the three agonies or something. (You know, falling down a shaft, losing his 'love') In the end, that made him a good source of pain. Or something. Not very sure. :P
[close]

Akatosh

Spoiler

The cultists would have been a way better source. The inspector didn't even kill his own love - it was killed, that's everything. He did suffer the pain of the body and the mind, but I guess the cultists did far worse things to themselves every meeting. No idea why he needed the inspector. To protect Chzo from the along-coming Trilby? Why did he need Trilby, anyway? And couldn't The Tall Man have done better?
[close]

TheCheese33

Spoiler
I think they replaced the Tall Man because of his past mistakes in Trilby's Notes.
[close]
need...More...WOUND!

Stupot

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 30/01/2007 18:22:55
The game was interessting, like all of Yahtzees games. It was well made and atmospheric (sp), but I didn't like it anyway. I neither liked Trilby's Notes as much as 5DAS and 7DAS. In my opinion the story just went too confusing with Trilby's Notes and 6DAS didn't exactly help to explain everything.

I prefer serous games and so I don't think Yahtzee should make funny games again. What I really would like to see are more games with Trilby in them. They could take place before 5DAS so that they are not part of this series. That would be great. I just love the Trilby characterÃ,  :D

Yes, I like it.
Maybe "Trilby, The Gentleman Cat Burgler." It could explain how he got involved in the burgling game and involve some stealthy missions to rob paintings, ornaments and jewellery from large houses and museums.
Nor horror needed, just the threat of getting caught red handed...

Yahtzee, if you're reading this, how about it?

SSH

"4 days a juvenile delinquent"... Trilby's early days
"3 days a naughty scamp" ... earlier still
"2 days a terrible toddler"... earlier still
"1 day a zygote"... earlier still

Anyway, talking of early days, I foung this quote:

Yahtzee
5/27/2001
09:53:40   
I think I'll retire from game designing after I've finished the one I'm doing now. There's only so much adventure designing a man can take before he wants to move on to pastures new.

thewalrus

Well, I guess he stayed on the old pastures.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

Gamer_V

Quote from: TheCheese33 on Wed 31/01/2007 11:35:32
Spoiler
I think they replaced the Tall Man because of his past mistakes in Trilby's Notes.
[close]
Spoiler
He was replaced because he was tied to the wood. However, the wood would be destroyed in the future thus rendering the tall man powerless, or at least in the real of technology. That would make him useless to Chzo. Theo however, wasn't tied to the wood, and the lop would also create ian infinite amount of sufering, keeping Chzo in happy pain.
[close]

mätzyboy

This last installment left me more confused than any of the others. I suppose it tied most things together, but not all for me. I have a feeling it would be clearer if I replayed all games, which I may or may not do.

I must also say it was the least scary of them all. I think all previous ones were more engaging as well.

Still! Great game! I like how the characters have personalities, and the clever use of dreams and changing environments! Two thumbs up for a well completed series!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

GamerV - at last, a theory that makes sense. Thank you very much.

...or does it?

Spoiler
The wood gets burned because in the end Chzo's bridge-building activities will MAKE it burned. But if Chzo never tried to create the bridge, the Tall Man would not have been so reduced to ash - so he is building the bridge for the replacement that he DOESN'T need UNTIL he starts building the bridge?
[close]

Kneel. Now.

TheCheese33

Did anyone here play the text adventures before the game was released? If so, did it reveal anything that would help us understand the whole thing?

Also,
Spoiler
The Caretaker could easily be in other games people make. He travels through time and space, meaning he could leave the "scientific realm" and be in one of our games. It's just something to think about. ;)
[close]
need...More...WOUND!

paolo

Quote from: Cinfa on Thu 25/01/2007 23:09:04
Wow, just finished it.
but...
Spoiler

Is there a timer qhen you're buried in the metal crate and have to interact with darkness while it's moving? Because the first time I went there the shacking stopped and the char keeped his hand over darkness...
[close]

I had the same problem... Yahtzee, is this a bug?

voh

You'd be better off mentioning this at his own forum. Also, I think it's probably a bug, as I didn't encounter it, and I went to the toilet after entering that scene, and clicked the darkness when I got back. I doubt there's a timer attached ;)
Still here.

nulluser

-

Akatosh

That's what happens if you try to infuse occult blahblah into something originally designed as a "ghost story".

TheCheese33

I doubt he would've written all about it, since no one would've believed him, anyway.
need...More...WOUND!

nulluser

-

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Cheese, re the text adventures - they feature a cameo of a character you'll know by now, but mostly deal with how Frehorn's Blade got all the way to it's destination.

Kneel. Now.

GuyLaDouche

After playing it and beating it last night, I think I relatively enjoyed it. Though it isn't my favorite in the FDAS series, it was still an adventure game that I didn't decide to give up on, and that's important.

However, in my opinion, there were a lot of plot elements that seemed both unnecessary and purposefully confusing:

Spoiler

-The caretaker

-Any and all timelines in which characters went into the future and past of events for absolutely no reason.

-Somerset's decent into the caretaker

-Playing as Somerset whatsoever, even though the current events aren't in the same timeframe (meanwhile, 196 years later)

- If you couldn't tell, I didn't care for the whole caretaker/Somerset thing

- Trilby clones, what the hell?

- Trilby clone's soul/energy.... what?

- Snuffing the awesome (Dracula-like) prince for a mummified building inspector (in the next sequel, I'm forseeing a zombie farmer to take the place as the new prince)

-This list continues as I get more and more confuzzled

All in all, this game seems to serve as a series of unrelated (yet awesome) scenes taking place in different periods of time as several characters go insane and get snuffed (this is known as a good game). The only downside is that Yahtzee eventually had to put a plot in to prevent people from calling this "illogical" (which... it still is)

Where Trilby's Notes helped to tie all the loose ends and entertain as well, this managed to hack all the things I understood and puree them until my brain hurt at 7:00 AM (the time I finally beat the game)
[close]

All in all, it still beats other games because it made no sense.

My head hurts...

sergiocornaga

Your head... "it hurts?"

Sorry.  :P

thewalrus

I have to agree with a lot of the others that this was by far the weakest game in the series. First of all, the puzzles were almost none exsistent. There really wasn't a whole lot to get stumped on. Second as many others said; the plot was very confusing. Instead of tying up loose ends, it seemed to create many other questions. All in all, I was dissappointed.....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

nulluser

-

m0ds

Vlad

Just played through all the Trilby games... and I have mixed feelings on the series.

The series might be a very nice example of Making Complex Lore To a Story That Was Originally Intended To Be A Rather Straightforward One For The Sake Of Making Sequels (or: Making Numerous Sequels To A Fairly Straightforward Story That Was Not Intended To Have Sequels And Consequentally Producing A Very Complex Plot). It happens a lot and it happens everywhere (cinema, literature, gaming).

This is how I see it:

5DS is an enjoyable horror game that certainly was above average. I really liked it.

7DS is a sequel with a slightly artificial connection to the 1st game but, ultimatelly, it resulted in a nice transition of the original concept into the SF genre. Clash of genres, I like it. The main character wasn't as fun to play as the original Trilby but, overall, enjoyable.

TN is a sequel and a prequel which adds a lot of Lovecraft-esque lore to the game. A shift from classic ghost story into complex occult horror. I really enjoyed it as a game (shifting realms, presenting the history of the idol, the atmosphere) but not as a sequel (it's very different from both 5DS and 7DS â€" shift from character-based into complex plot-based action).

6DS remains faithful in atmosphere and form to TN but has more content that links it to 5DS and 7DS. The plot gets even more mixed-up and, as often happens in the case of veeery complex plotlines, time travel is introduced in order to make things work. Barely.

There is an obvious inconsistency: on one hand we have the host story and the.. space... ghost story... which is original but, IMO, works fine. On the other hand, in TN and 6DS, we have a veery mixed up lore with lots of epic bits thrown in (which is handled very well in TN, don't get me wrong). I think that 5DS and 7DS work together quite well, as do TN and 6DS. But all four of them? Hmm...

There is another way to look at the series as a whole: a play with the form. We get a lot of far-fetched stuff that attempts to tie it all together, true, but if we look at the big picture we get a mixture of at least 3 genres (sort of), lots of standard or, I daresay cliché, plot devices, and some quite ridiculous situations, especially in the last game when, for example:

Spoiler

You visit the house from the first game, accompanied by the clones of the main hero of 5DS and TN, after being guided by the protagonist of 7DS who, in the future, has visited himself to make sure he would become the guide and be able to visit himself again before the first visit to make sure it happens... again... only before that but still in the future.
[close]

When I realised that I LOLed. Maybe THAT was the idea of the game? Mix genres, use cliches (pastiche), generally combine a lot of things that shouldn't really be combined, craft the plot in such a way that ridiculous situations occur...

It might be an attempt to make a sort of postmodern game series, on that makes fun of conventions, and should be viewed from a distance. What Jojoboy said might, in fact, reflect the author's intentions.

Which one is it? I don't know. As I said, I have mixed feelings on the series.

GuyLaDouche

There was also one more thing I wanted to talk about that I actually liked in this game: the puzzles. I've read a lot of people's posts talking about how overly easy the puzzles were (and how no one needed the walkthrough, blah blah blah), but to me that seems to be a WELL fulfilled goal in adventure gaming.

In many cases, it felt like Yahtzee KNEW where I was going and formed the story in that direction. An example:

Spoiler

Toward the beginning of the game when you first made it into the bunkers, notice how the journalist gave you the guns and kicked you out (giving you NO oppurtunity to explore the doorway to the right in the bunker). Then when you talked to the two characters, you had to go to sleep before you were allowed to explore the room (or the doorway to the right of the bunker). When you woke up the first time, what was the first thing you did? I know I went straight for that doorway to the right, and THAT's where the action happened. Also note that there was no post-it on the locker or a journal while you were 'in the dream' to distract you from going in that direction.
[close]

It's things like that, where the author KNOWS what you're going to try, and pushes you in his/her intended direction. Those elements make a game fun.

However, one thing puzzles me in playing this game. Despite all the horrible things going on and all the deadly situations

Spoiler

Your main character does not and cannot die. Every time you are 'killed,' you just wake up somewhere else.
[close]

I can understand the reasoning in terms of plot (such as fate and destiny guiding someone), but it's something that I still ask 'why?'

Vlad

Quote from: Jojoboy on Sun 11/02/2007 21:47:04
Spoiler

Your main character does not and cannot die. Every time you are 'killed,' you just wake up somewhere else.
[close]

I can understand the reasoning in terms of plot (such as fate and destiny guiding someone), but it's something that I still ask 'why?'

I suppose that is because

Spoiler

in all the previous games the hero could either be killed by the wraith DeFoe or the Tall Man, both, more or less, manifestations of Chzo. In this game, however, the hero is destined to become the new avatar of Chzo (as is described in the final soliloquy of the avatar of destiny), he is, therefore, “under the protection” of Chzo. The Tall Man and DeFoe attempt to dispose of him, the former wanting to keep his job as Chzo's avatar, the latter simply being a bloodthirsty wraith. Chzo, however, always has the final word in this matter â€" he keeps the hero alive until he is ready to become his avatar: after experiencing the suffering of the body, mind, and soul. He must also be there when the bridge between the worlds is constructed (the DeFoe manor is destroyed) in order to be brought to Chzo.
[close]

GuyLaDouche

But then:
Spoiler

Where does Somerset stand in the hierarchy of this story? If Chzo has final say, how would "The Caretaker" be able to defy its will by killing the Trilby clone (which also makes no sense) and um.. re-animating Trilby Classic? (I think during this time, Somerset hadn't actually died). Then, in death, he becomes a slave to fate in which he serves Chzo by delivering the main character... And then there's original Trilby defying Chzo by dying 'or whatever' before the 'ritual' (which I don't understand) is completed in TN. If two humans were to be able to defy Chzo's will, does that mean that the main character here should have some kind of loophole in which he could escape as well?
[close]

That seemed to be the most unnecessary argument written now that I've written it. This game is very confusing.

Akatosh

Spoiler

Sure, he would have had a loophole if the caretaker wasn't there - remember, at the beginning, when you have to distract 'The Guard'? If he catches you, he throws you into kind of a prison room, and the caretaker frees you from it.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I feel I should let people know - if you are left with tons of questions after 6DaS, *buy the special edition*. I'm playing it right now, am on day five, and the commentary explains a lot. The commentary on all 4 games of the series sometimes fun and often interesting, but the commentary on 6DaS is like watching Donnie Darko Director's Cut after watching Donnie Darko.

Kneel. Now.

GarageGothic

I never understood if the Yahtzee commentaries were audio like the Adventures of Fatman and Dave Gilbert commentaries or just text? If they ARE indeed audio commentaries, how big are the SE files?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

Akatosh

... I haven't seen Donnie Darko  :'(

And I'm not going to buy the Special Edition just because of "plot holes"... that would mean surrendering to the EA strategy. It starts with commentory, but it ends with:

"Oh my, 13DAS is free and good! Okay, the plot is not explanatory... hm... "TUESDAY IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE SPECIAL EDITION, SKIPPING TO WEDNESDAY?"... okay, I don't like Tuesdays anyway... er, wait, who is that guy? And why do I have a broken arm and everyone calls me 'Skinny Killerface'? Okay, let's proceed, let's proceed... er, what? "TO PICK UP THIS ITEM, PLEASE BUY THE MEGA-SPECIAL DELUXE EDITION"? Graaaah!"

... just kidding  ;D

But seriously, I think I can live without these explanations.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Sure, but let me assure you, there are no plot holes. Like Yahtzee says at the end of the commentary, it's all there, in the games. Same as Donnie Darko - it was all there, but the director's cut gave you a lot of little extra info that made it all easier to understand... but everything you needed was already in the film.

Kneel. Now.

TheTurnipKing

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 27/01/2007 15:36:37
Rui,
Spoiler
Well, according to himself, Somerset would still have killed his dad, but would have got away with it (because there would have been no coffin floating in space because Trilby would have died at the end of TN), and wouldn't have had to live through 7DAS. Doesn't sound so bad to me. All he ever wanted to do was be a ship shrink, anyway.

(More likely, as the caretaker he was just lying to his earlier self, and he would have been caught, since the police were already on to him. So: jail. Still, probably a better deal than 7DAS followed by a padded cell, suicide, and being a slave to destiny.)
[close]
Spoiler
I make this post with the proviso that I haven't played Trilbys notes.

What is the cult guy says after he's locked in the prison - the body, mind and spirit must all be in pain, or something to that effect?  Hell, when Theo starts, his body is already shattered, and the things he experiences in the later days presumably break and reforge Decabe into everything Chzo wants in His Chosen.
[close]

TheTurnipKing

Oh man, I suck.  Totally replied to the wrong post.

Should have been this one.

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 27/01/2007 14:54:04
Spoiler
Chzo's plan, on the whole, strikes me as seriously crappy. If he never wanted to enter the realm of technology at all, then the entire plot must have been just an effort to replace The Tall Man as Prince. Why? You'd rather have a crippled building inspector than a kick-ass druid as your servant? Besides, in Cadabath's case there was a good reason why he became The Prince. What did Dacabe do? Nothing! He just wore a silly outfit and tried to keep a bomb from exploding. If Chzo can make anyone who enters his realm his servant, wouldn't Trilby have been a better choice?
[close]

Klaz

I liked Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment better...

Alynn

I guess I missed something completely

Spoiler
about Decabe becoming the new Prince. (Note: It's been awhile so exact details are lost)

Honestly, I thought it was Defoe that became the new prince (thus the steel welder mask and leather clothing of the new prince). Decabe just fulfilled the last part of the prophacy (The body destroyed in "Stranger", the spirit destroyed in "Skeptic", leaving just the mind for "Sacrifice".

I must have missed a detail somewhere, because I really thought the poor retarded Defoe brother finally got a reward for all his suffering.
[close]

TheCheese33

Spoiler
Who cares if it doesn't make sense or creates a time paradox? It's still fun as hell! If you let things like this drag down your enjoyment of the game, you have serious issues.
[close]
need...More...WOUND!

elephant343

I just played this game (but am not privy to the director's cut), and I found the point fairly evident, if convoluted. The four games are only tied together in retrospect, but they are all about suffering in particularly gruesome ways. Hence, the invention of Chzo. Caedamon (sp?), the druid, was the one arrogant enough to approach Chzo for his own selfish purposes in the first place: he is the one who should suffer uppermost, even while inflicting pain and fear on others at the behest of his master. Including, betrayal and replacement. Feel rather sorry for Dacabe, though. But it strikes me that all of the characters end up as pawns of Chzo, for his, and our, entertainment.

I may be wrong, but that was my impression of the overall plot. He's a "pain elemental", after all (that sounds silly to think aloud). It doesn't have to be narratively neat so long as everyone goes through maximum hell.

Dualnames

Wondering... why doesn't Yahtzee post himself?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

GarageGothic

Quote from: Jim "Dualnames" Span on Sat 10/11/2007 20:32:10

Long story. His AGS Wiki entry explains it pretty well.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

vertigoaddict

Quote from: GarageGothic on Sat 10/11/2007 21:12:08
Quote from: Jim "Dualnames" Span on Sat 10/11/2007 20:32:10

Long story. His AGS Wiki entry explains it pretty well.

I can relate with him. I'm the youngest of 7 children and as a child I got criticized almost hourly. Now whenever I do something good, I couldn't help feeling crap and I am told that I always put myself down.

Thanks Garage Gothic, if you hadn't linked his apology, I would've never read it; it made me feel a little bit better.

Although, I have to say, I've never had that ego where I think I'm superior than others, rather I've taken the opposite effect.

mwahahaha

As far as free games go, yahtzee's games are really close to as good as it gets, just played through the whole of 6 days todayt, being once again startled at how truly engrossing the game is.

5 days was a tad confusing at times, but all his other games really are brilliant, with very good stories.  Even if they're a tad short, a few hours for a 40 second download is really pretty nice (the same applies to most AGS games)

Stupot

I think the title of this thread should be altered now that it is no longer the 'new' Yahtzee game.

Johnn

*sigh*
I thought I'd find people on here being a little more positive about this game. And the series in general. But every other post seems to be ripping it apart either because of apparent plot holes or because it isn't 5DS. I mean, maybe I appreciated it more and saw a greater fluidity to it because I decided to play all the games in rapid succesion, but seriously the series is great and most of the 'plot-holes' are easy to explain.
Like Chzo's motives. Firstly, don't confuse Chzo with the Cult. They are two different things. It was the Cult's plan to destroy the bridge, Chzo had a different agenda. He probably didn't even want to intervene with it. I mean, he's the closest thing to a god, and is barely seen in the game, so I can't really understand why people try and work out his motivation. In fac, if anything he could have been seen as TRYING to prevent it form happening by sending the arragont man to kill the clones.
As for the New Prince. Why did Chzo make him? Because he got to the other end of the board. Not exactly the best answer ever, but it's more or less true. The 'it hurts' message that kept coming up all the time, probably indicated he's the perfect candidate for apprentice to a God of Pain.
As for time-travel and time loop. For god's sake, do you not get the point of this game? The basic story behind it? It's all about the past affecting the present as well as the future affecting the present. Past, present, future all one big blur. Which is PERFECT if the game is about tying up loose ends.
I know I'm bringing up a very very VERY old topic here, but I don't see how the Chzo series was in any way damaged or ruined by this. At its core it still has a familiar feel, along with new ones thrown in, creating a multi-textured series, which is quite good considering it started of as a horror/mystery game.
So yeah... Just saying...

Nlogax

I've played the game through twice and tbf the first time I played it through I was a little confused, but then I went back and played the other games through before playing 6DAS through again, and it made more sense the 2nd time around.

My main problem with this episode is that it's more like an interactive story than a point and click game; not enough puzzles. But hey that doesn't detract from the overall series I don't think.

Jared

Quote from: johnnLike Chzo's motives. Firstly, don't confuse Chzo with the Cult. They are two different things. It was the Cult's plan to destroy the bridge, Chzo had a different agenda. He probably didn't even want to intervene with it. I mean, he's the closest thing to a god, and is barely seen in the game, so I can't really understand why people try and work out his motivation. In fac, if anything he could have been seen as TRYING to prevent it form happening by sending the arragont man to kill the clones.

Ironically you yourself seem to have misunderstood the plot. Nobody in the cult is trying to destroy the bridge. They are trying to destroy John DeFoe's mind which will make the bridge - and Chzo does not try to prevent it. The Tall Man is working against his Master's wishes to try and prevent it because he knows he dies at the birth of the New Prince.

QuoteAs for time-travel and time loop. For god's sake, do you not get the point of this game? The basic story behind it? It's all about the past affecting the present as well as the future affecting the present. Past, present, future all one big blur. Which is PERFECT if the game is about tying up loose ends.

From my point of view, the ending was quite unsatisfying that it all turned out to be much ado about nothing. That everything that happened was simply about getting Chzo a new minion and that Somerset uses his superpowers simply to transform himself into the biggest Uncle Tom in the Universe.

I think it's very debatable that the game was actually about 'tying up loose ends' either. There is no 'Czho mythos' in the series at all before TN. Before that, the stories are essentially shock horror slashers that are definitely scary but nowhere near as deep as the AGS community would have you believe. In fact, 7DAS is very shallow and crude IMO. More than anything else, TN feels like a deliberate lengthening of the series through a slightly forced retcon to provide room for a third game. The biggest problem with it is that it needs to be anchored to the series, though - I think it is by far and away better than any other game in the series.

Then, I'm a critical guy. And I'm not surprised that people are very critical of Yahtzee, given his overbearing online persona and stratospheric ego. To give him his dues 5DAS is brilliant escapist entertainment, 6DAS is a great bit of storytelling, and TN sits next to Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment as one of the best AGS games I've played.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk