Techs: A Helpdesk Simulation.

Started by Magic, Sun 01/04/2007 15:19:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic

Overview

Techs was created for my final year university project. I've used AGS to create a 'serious' production that acts as a "simulation" where the user is an IT Technician and has to solve different computing problems in each of the five scenarios. There's a full tutorial and introduction sequence too.

The following release is not a full game but rather the final 'prototype' that I created since I had a deadline (29th of March) that I had to stick to but I do plan to continue to develop it in the future. This version doesn't have music due to the possbile legalities that I wanted to avoid for the hand-in so simply hum your favourite tunes while playing.

Feedback is welcome - indeed, interest may spur me on to do more with the simulation.

Screenshots

Title Screen:

Tutorial:

A help request:

Problem analysis in progress!

Download.
- Magic

Jon

I enjoyed the demo, I hope this is as good.

voh

That website you host your pics on seems to be quite the spyware/popup/crap site.
Still here.

Magic

I use Firefox and haven't had any pop-ups or malware from it, but that's the second time I've heard that. :-/ Any suggestions for another decent one?
- Magic

Moneo

Nice, neat game/piece of edutainment.  However, I did think your explaination as to why floppy disks are no longer used a little iffy, maybe some revision is in order. Other than that its fine, serves its purpose well.

ThreeOhFour

One little bug - when you enter the second corridor from the first corridor, you cannot walk anywhere. I'm guessing this is an issue with character location not matching up with walkable areas. This means that in order to leave the corridor you need to use the manager's door, go back out into the corridor and then walk.

Other than that was smooth - certainly an interesting concept.

Magic

Thanks for the comments. :)
Quote from: Moneo on Thu 05/04/2007 07:59:24
Nice, neat game/piece of edutainment.  However, I did think your explaination as to why floppy disks are no longer used a little iffy, maybe some revision is in order. Other than that its fine, serves its purpose well.
With the vast range of technical issues, it's inevitable that people will find parts they don't agree with so I tried to find a balance by making them qute general. It's that's also mixed in with my admitted rush to get it done so it was bound to happen. That said, what do you think about my statement in the sim of "Since floppy drives aren't in use, they've been replaced by CD-DVD drives and most people have an extra hard disk drive."? That's been my experience.

Quote from: Ben304 on Thu 05/04/2007 10:50:49
One little bug - when you enter the second corridor from the first corridor, you cannot walk anywhere. I'm guessing this is an issue with character location not matching up with walkable areas. This means that in order to leave the corridor you need to use the manager's door, go back out into the corridor and then walk.

Other than that was smooth - certainly an interesting concept.
Sorry about that. It's working ok for me right now, though, and I haven't modified much since I uploaded the current version ... there's a single line of walkable area missing which I've fixed but that's it.
- Magic

Dan_N

This is a good game, I'm having fun playing it, but - and I may be just daft - How do I access the last scenario? The PC Power Failure one? I played and completed all the others...

Also, shouldn't there be more scenarios and harder than just "easy" or "very easy"? :-/

Magic

Quote from: Dan_N_GameZ on Sat 14/04/2007 21:34:16
This is a good game, I'm having fun playing it, but - and I may be just daft - How do I access the last scenario? The PC Power Failure one? I played and completed all the others...
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've been working on it since October after all (It may not look like it but: meh  :D).

Sorry but the last scenario isn't available because it wasn't actually implemented. I wanted to but I didn't have time in the run-up to the deadline. Since I documented it in my university report and wanted to create a sophisticated scenario, I included the button there anyway.

QuoteAlso, shouldn't there be more scenarios and harder than just "easy" or "very easy"? :-/
If I had the time and this was a professional product, yes! Right now I've got two more assignments then two exams and I'm done, so we'll see what the future holds. I've certainly enjoyed creating this so there is a strong possibility I'll add to it in the future but there's a great deal that I would like to do.
- Magic

Dan_N

Ok, good luck with your assignments and exams, if you ever find time, maybe you could enhance it...

Until then, thanks for such a good game :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk