Earl Mansin: The Breakout 1.1

Started by HillBilly, Sun 01/07/2007 18:50:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Cino

I have to agree with Snarky, the excact same things got me upset as well.

But other than that, it's a great game. Nice graphics, good music and superb voice acting.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh, DoTT goes gory and violent, hey? Never thought it'd turn out to be such a great mixture, though.

Great graphics, great story, great puzzles, great music, great acting... damn, that was a short, über-sweet game. Congrats!

BTW, I second everything Snarky said in his spoiler. Also, shame about the hammer bug.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Uku

PS!sorry for my english.

HillBilly

Hey everyone. I've finally established an internet connection and I'll be able to comment on this thread again.

Quote from: Mandarell on Tue 03/07/2007 13:04:09Tried the above right now but with no luck :(

I guess you're outta luck on that one. Only solution I can imagine is getting a hold of an older system and play it on another machine. Sorry.

Same goes for those with the WinXP problem. If you figure out a way, please tell.

Quote from: TripOne on Tue 03/07/2007 16:57:09Uninstalling CCCP.
Mind you that I didn't even tryed to fiddle with some of it's options. Installing it again isn't that troublesome anyway.

Thanks, this might be useful for someone in the future.

Quote from: ProgZmax on Tue 03/07/2007 18:59:36
Glad too see you finally got the game released.  Nice work all around!

Thanks!

Quote from: Venus on Tue 03/07/2007 21:19:50I've had that problem, too. Had to go back to an earlier savegame to finish the game...
Apart from that nice game.

I can't for the life of me seem to get that bug myself.

IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME IN DETAIL WHAT THEY DID BEFORE THE HAMMER DISAPPEARED, PM OR REPLY HERE. PLEASE.

I'll fix up a patch this weekend to resolve the problem, as soon as I figure out how it happens. :)

For the patch I'm thinking about PatchMaker. Anyone had positive experiences with this for AGS games? There will be changes in both the .exe and speech files.

Quote from: cobra79 on Wed 04/07/2007 08:22:13
Very nice game. The puzzles were great, the graphics charming and the voice acting superb. No bugs for me and really smooth gameplay. The only odd thing I encountered was that the game shut down after the dying sequences and after the outro. I guess this was intentional but I would prefer if you could go back to the start screen instead.

Thank you! I did not like the solution of having the game close down, but a strange issue of the save files disappearing happened when I used the "restart game" command from there. As my GUI programmer went missing, I had no one to consult about this and went with the second best solution.

Quote from: Besh on Wed 04/07/2007 13:10:33Really nice  game.
Waiting for the next act.

Thanks!

Quote from: Mandarell on Wed 04/07/2007 21:20:45
I made a way around the problem instead of solving it.
I tried the game on my old computer with winxp and it worked fine,so i just made a gamesave and put it in Vista-pc and clicked load game and it worked fine there too.
There must be something with the intro the computer dont like,but now i gotta play,bye  ;D ;)

EDIT: Well,that didnt last long,came to the place where i opened the door and then.....a black screen again  :'(  Think i give up for now

Sorry about this. It looks like your computer crash at every cutscene.

Since there seems to be a problem with them only, I'll try to export them with a different codec as soon as I get home, and hope that'll work.

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 05/07/2007 15:39:39If it wasn't for the walkthrough I don't think I would have completed the game. It isn't fun to know how a puzzle should be solved but not be able to do it because the game insists on doing the actions a certain way or in a certain order. Hopefully you'll take this in the spirit it's intended: constructive criticism.

I actually had those exact issues on my fixlist, with an alternative version of the rag puzzle, doing just what you said. Unfortunately, I had been stalling this game far enough by my nitpicking, so I just went for a release after having it on my harddrive for over a year. Looks like I should've taken the extra time.

Since both the playerbase and myself agree this is bad design, I'll see if I can fix it by one of the next patches. :)

Quote from: Cino on Thu 05/07/2007 20:49:47
I have to agree with Snarky, the excact same things got me upset as well.

But other than that, it's a great game. Nice graphics, good music and superb voice acting.

Glad you liked it!

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Fri 06/07/2007 13:18:49
Heh, DoTT goes gory and violent, hey? Never thought it'd turn out to be such a great mixture, though.

Great graphics, great story, great puzzles, great music, great acting... damn, that was a short, über-sweet game. Congrats!

BTW, I second everything Snarky said in his spoiler. Also, shame about the hammer bug.

DoTT is not the worst game to be associated with. :)

Yeah, it's a bloody shame. It'll be history as soon as someone tells me how to archive it, though.

Quote from: Uku on Fri 06/07/2007 17:27:35
Nice game, i liked it, glad you finished it.

Thanks!

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 07/07/2007 16:11:41
Funniest. AGS moment. EVER

*Spoiler Alert*

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/Captain_Stu/AGS/Hahaha.jpg

I'm glad it was taken the same way it was intended. :)

Stupot

Hmm, I never had a problem with the Hammer.
Maybe you guys just didn't scroll down far enough... :-\
Just a sugestion.

Is it true that...
Spoiler
you can hit the guard over the head to kill him instead of using the chloroform?
[close]

If that is the case then you could have a different ending depending on which method was used.

HillBilly

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 07/07/2007 17:22:21Is it true that...
Spoiler
you can hit the guard over the head to kill him instead of using the chloroform?
[close]

Give it a shot. Or two.

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 07/07/2007 17:22:21If that is the case then you could have a different ending depending on which method was used.

I disagree.
Spoiler
It's simply there so you have a friendlier option. You even get an option to turn back when you've used the hammer once. Besides, it's such a minor part of the storyline that it should have no effect on the ending.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteMaybe you guys just didn't scroll down far enough...

Bleh on ye.

When I

Spoiler
put the guard to sleep using the chloroform
[close]

the hammer disappeared from my inventory. It just wasn't there anymore. At that point, I had all the items I could have (i.e., all the game items minus the sign or its components). That's all I can say.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

HillBilly

Weird. I can't get that to happen at all.

I'll look at the code when I get home and see if I find anything there. I think I can guess where the issue is, anyhow.

EDIT: I need a guinea pig to test my different solutions for the cutscene problems. If you only hear the music and the voice over(before the game goes black) after pressing new game and would like to help out, give me a pm. I will link you to a few test files(between 2 -10 MB) in a couple of days, and you tell me if they work or not. Don't be shy, stand right up!

ManicMatt

This game rocks my ass! I just love the animations, the voices, the graphics, dialogue etc etc..

I can't wait to play it again when you've fixed the hammer glitch so I can finish the game.  ;)

(Also agree with Snarky, although I wouldn't say it pissed me off)

tube

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 07/07/2007 23:56:36
I can't wait to play it again when you've fixed the hammer glitch so I can finish the game.  ;)

I worked around the bug by
Spoiler
picking up the hammer only after I had put the guard to sleep.
[close]

HillBilly

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 07/07/2007 23:56:36
This game rocks my ass! I just love the animations, the voices, the graphics, dialogue etc etc..

(Also agree with Snarky, although I wouldn't say it pissed me off)

Thanks! You can also work around the bug by solving it the alternative way.

supersnake52

Quote from: HillBilly on Sat 07/07/2007 18:32:02
Weird. I can't get that to happen at all.

I'll look at the code when I get home and see if I find anything there. I think I can guess where the issue is, anyhow.

EDIT: I need a guinea pig to test my different solutions for the cutscene problems. If you only hear the music and the voice over(before the game goes black) after pressing new game and would like to help out, give me a pm. I will link you to a few test files(between 2 -10 MB) in a couple of days, and you tell me if they work or not. Don't be shy, stand right up!

Just sent a pm ;)

Brad Newsom

This is some top notch stuff! Definitely reckons continuation! Although I think a couple of things couldve been done better, which has already been pointed out, I think this will deserve a special place on AGS! :D

Knoodn

Great game. I enjoyed it very much.
I had a lot of fun to try out the diffrent ways to die.

radiowaves

I just finished it and I must admit, this game is super fun! I actually laughed at  a lot of things in this game, so funny. Even cursors and menu (especially the end menu) are very original.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Svartberg

OMG it's finished !
I'll download it as soon as I can - can't wait to try it out mate.
I'll also mirror it on my site if you want.

HillBilly

Quote from: Brad Newsom on Mon 09/07/2007 03:40:32This is some top notch stuff! Definitely reckons continuation! Although I think a couple of things couldve been done better, which has already been pointed out, I think this will deserve a special place on AGS! :D

Thanks. As mentioned those issues will be fixed in the patch. :)

Quote from: Knoodn on Mon 09/07/2007 13:58:08Great game. I enjoyed it very much.
I had a lot of fun to try out the diffrent ways to die.

Great to hear the death scenes were more of an amusement than an annoyance. :)

Quote from: radiowaves on Mon 09/07/2007 22:14:10I just finished it and I must admit, this game is super fun! I actually laughed at  a lot of things in this game, so funny. Even cursors and menu (especially the end menu) are very original.

I had a lot of fun with those cursors, so I'm glad you liked them. Also happy to hear you found the game funny. As long as you laughed at the right spots, that is.  :-X

Quote from: Svartberg on Tue 10/07/2007 11:19:53OMG it's finished !
I'll download it as soon as I can - can't wait to try it out mate.
I'll also mirror it on my site if you want.

Svartberg! I was wondering when you were gonna show up. I hope both you and your orchestra synthesizer are doing okay.

A mirror would be splendid. Just, uh, wait a few days 'till I get some annoyances sorted out.

In other news, does anyone know Czech? I'm really curious on what this says:

http://plnehry.idnes.cz/adventure/earl-mansin.html

TheJBurger

Yay I finished it. A good game all around. Good graphics, nice animations (especially the cursors), and cool cut-scenes, except I have a few nitpicks.

- I'm one of those people who doesn't save and thinks the game will save me from death situations. So when I accidently died when walking into the first guard, and jumping out the window, I was kind of annoyed because I hadn't saved my game at all (but I learned after dying the first time). Also, it would've been nice if you could load your game after dying instead of the game exiting on you.
- I thought the puzzles were pretty logical, and I only needed help for the final puzzle. I think I have to echo Snarky's points, but it didn't bother me that much. Also, I probably wouldn't have solved alot of the puzzles if I didn't mindlessly click on stuff
Spoiler
(such as double clicking on the broken glass to get my brick back, which was just a mindless click, but it made me advance in the game.)
[close]
- At the beginning, I thought it was kind of odd that the main character says he hid the hack-saw, then he expects me to find it, but he doesn't even tell me where it is.

I also found a bug:
Spoiler
At the end, I didn't know how to get past the spot light. I walked as close as I could to the spot light without entering it, and I was still safe. At that position I spotted the crack on the right side of the screen and I interacted with it, letting me win the game. It was kind of funny since I knew I skipped the oh so final and last puzzle.
[close]

HillBilly

Quote from: TheJBurger on Wed 11/07/2007 01:03:26- I'm one of those people who doesn't save and thinks the game will save me from death situations. So when I accidently died when walking into the first guard, and jumping out the window, I was kind of annoyed because I hadn't saved my game at all (but I learned after dying the first time). Also, it would've been nice if you could load your game after dying instead of the game exiting on you.

I would've loved an autosave option whenever you enter a new room, and be able to return to the main menu after you die, but I've lost all contact with the guy who fixed the GUI, and was left with an unpolished GUI. A shame, really.

Quote from: TheJBurger on Wed 11/07/2007 01:03:26- I thought the puzzles were pretty logical, and I only needed help for the final puzzle. I think I have to echo Snarky's points, but it didn't bother me that much. Also, I probably wouldn't have solved alot of the puzzles if I didn't mindlessly click on stuff
Spoiler
(such as double clicking on the broken glass to get my brick back, which was just a mindless click, but it made me advance in the game.)
[close]

I agree that was hideously unfair of me. I've already decided to add some kind of graphic of the brick in the patch.

The final puzzle was also hard and kind of "out-there" compared to the other puzzles. However, if I get the time(already have the motivation), I'll see if I can fix up an alternative way to work around it. I've already played around with the idea of more dynamic puzzle solving. (like the guard in the surveillance room)

Quote from: TheJBurger on Wed 11/07/2007 01:03:26- At the beginning, I thought it was kind of odd that the main character says he hid the hack-saw, then he expects me to find it, but he doesn't even tell me where it is.

He shows you though. If you watch the intro again, you'll notice the camera pans over the most important hotspots in the cell. I thought it was a pretty neat "visual" puzzle/hint, but it did stump more people than I expected.

Quote from: TheJBurger on Wed 11/07/2007 01:03:26I also found a bug:
Spoiler
At the end, I didn't know how to get past the spot light. I walked as close as I could to the spot light without entering it, and I was still safe. At that position I spotted the crack on the right side of the screen and I interacted with it, letting me win the game. It was kind of funny since I knew I skipped the oh so final and last puzzle.
[close]

Wow, I'm glad you told me this. That's pretty crucial.

Thanks for playing the game, and the nitpicking. :) I'll be home tonight sometime, and then I'll start working on the first patch. Hopefully it'll be out by friday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk