Raiders of the Lost Ark - Tanis

Started by quo_sp, Mon 06/12/2010 19:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad

I don't think you need to alter that much to get the perspective right in this.
I guess the palm trees are the major culprits here: Judging from the movie scenes, they are very tall, but in your image they just seem to draw the horizon to the front creating the illusion of a steep hill. This is caused by a lack of known size reference for the eye/brain to compare the palm trees to. By adding the cars and/or tents to the far back, as seen in the photos, you'll have such a reference, and I think that will make all the difference.

I hope my rantings do make some sense, but I guess to find out, you'll need to try my ideas.

One other easy way to create the illusion of distance is of course to lose detail the further back you go. In your case that would be the graining of the sand.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: cianty on Tue 01/02/2011 17:10:58
Le Monsieur is right, but man, do I love these screenshots! :)

+1. That's the thing I didn't emphasize enough on ;) I'm still craving for that game.

The palm trees (...) create the illusion of a steep hill.
This is caused by a lack of known size reference for the eye/brain to compare the palm trees to. (...)
That's another way to clearly show there's a hill (or to remove the hill), as opposed to the one I suggested. But the issue is definitely this awkwardly-handled hill.

quo_sp

Thank you very much for your usefull tips

Monsieur OUXX, I have improved the bags and I think I have corrected the hill effect.

Mad, I have added the car and the tower, tents are still missing, trying to create an ilusion of distance.

I have worked too the sand texture of all the ground.

Monsieur OUXX

You wrote that you corrected the hill. I assume you did it by darkening the ground on the left, but not on the right, to show that the left part is horizontal, but the right part is more exposed to the sun?

If so, then the limit between the dark and the light part is still confusing for the eye, because IF it's supposed to be the limnit between horizontal ground and "hill" ground, then it's not consistent with the perspective and the light source of the scene.

Maybe you should consider materializing that limit as a horizontal line running between behind Indy and the bigger tent instead. You could be having a long, horizontal stripe of darker ground at the bottom of the scene, coming from the "Lavanderia" sign and running under Indy's feet.

BaptisteTheFool

Love the new screens.  Though I agree, when you study it really closely, something is slightly askew on the right side.

I have one very small criticism, quo.  On the Indy sprite, his bag strap sits really awkwardly.  This might be nit-picking since I collect Indy gear and own that very same bag, but it sits at his hip, not under his arm.

Excuse my hasty paintover, I lack your skills, but I just wanted to demonstrate my point:

Mine:

Yours:

And hell, if we really wanted to get nitpicky, Indy actually wears his strap on the opposite shoulder...  It runs from right shoulder to left hip.

This would be as it was in the film:

But... just a small detail.  Take of it what you will...

Mad

just another few ideas:

- added tyre tracks fanishing into the distance and a shadow under truck
- made a well trodden path to the left
- tinted the background elements and horizon with the sky colour.

The only other thing I'd maybe change is the washing line, it's very solid looking and therefore quite distracting. If you've got PS or Gimp etc. put the line into a separate layer and make it semi-transparent. Might do the trick, it's worth the try!

When you've added the tents in the background, I think you'll have yourself a really exellent BG and should move on to other things! (...and get the damned game finished ;))

Chicky

I would add some black pixels with 35% transparency to outside of the washing line, this will make it smoother. Try layering them up a bit.

messy edit:

quo_sp

Thank you very much for the examples and the tips, are very usefull, I will try to implement it and continue with the development.  ;)

BaptisteTheFool, You are right with the sprite of indy, your version is more accurate, thank you I will try to improve it.  ;)

Mati256

Awesome Quo!
Do you have blog or something like that so we can keep track of you progress?
Also, I see you are aiming for an spanish speaking audience with that "Lavandería" sign. Thats funny, just the other day I was thinking about games and their translations.
My Blog! (En Español)

Digital Mosaic Games

Really fantastic indy-styled backgrounds in here... I'll keep this project in mind.

Monsieur OUXX

A picture is better than 1000 words.

And don't forget to increase the shadow under each tent. So far you're really shy with it. It makes them look like they're not part of the scene.

quo_sp

Thank you very much Ouxxey_games, good work  ;), I will try to follow your recomendations, I have let it this BG to improve later in order to advance in the development. Now I'am working with other BG that has much to do with the previous.

Mati256, I have a blog but it is not finished becouse I have no time, the priority is the development of the game. By the way the blog it is not still translated. I will inform of the blog when be ready. About the translations, my idea is to translate the game to English including the signs.

doctorfargo

quo_sp

Well I have advanced the script, but now I am working in some sprites of the dig, and now I have improved the sprite of Indy.

I have fixed the bag strap to the correct shoulder as appear in the film and I have added the wip and the holster for the gun too, and reworked a little the shirt.

I think it's a bit more work, becouse I have to work with animations of sprites for each side, becouse now, left and right side must to be diferent.

This is the new look, I think it is a little more "raiders".

By the way, this is a sample of a german soldier in the dig.

BaptisteTheFool

Quo, you're a miracle-worker!   :o

I'm salivating; the sprites are gorgeous!! :D

quo_sp

The rest of the sides.

And the front walkcycle

cat

The head can bounce up and down a bit in the front walkcycle, but it should definitely not bounce left and right.

Mad

Just a minor thing, really, but shouldn't there be a bag at the end of that shoulder strap.
As I said, it's not that important, so take it or leave it.

... you're still doing great stuff here IMHO!

Mati256

I am the only one who can't see any imageshack pictures?
My Blog! (En Español)

quo_sp

Quote from: cat on Thu 24/02/2011 12:11:40
The head can bounce up and down a bit in the front walkcycle, but it should definitely not bounce left and right.

Thank you cat, what about now?

Mad, you are right, the bag is missing, I decided not include it, maybe in future versions.

Mati256, for me imageshack pictures is OK.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk