Feature Request, Source control of Audio & Vieweditor get's updated audio

Started by AndreasBlack, Fri 14/10/2022 08:32:53

Previous topic - Next topic

AndreasBlack

Re-importing audio clips when a minor change has been done to the clip, when all you could have done is Right click *replace from source* like the sprites!
and then ofc the most annoying one. Vieweditor do not find audio clips again once re-imported. Both of those fixes would be a huge improvement and timesaver for anyone!

eri0o

When you build your game, if the source audio file has been modified and is newer than what's in audio cache, AGS should just reimport automatically. Here's me trying to figure this out too: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/778

About the vieweditor, I don't understand, it only uses the sprite indexes, so if you replace them in the sprite editor, it should automatically pick the reimported ones from the sprite file, is this not happening? Can you explain a little more of the view editor, perhaps adding images?

Snarky

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 14/10/2022 10:19:38When you build your game, if the source audio file has been modified and is newer than what's in audio cache, AGS should just reimport automatically. Here's me trying to figure this out too: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/778

Though my experience/interpretation has been that if any of your audio file sources are missing, the automatic reimport/update will not work. (And because the failure is not reported, there is no easy way to identify which of the audio sources are missing.)

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 14/10/2022 10:19:38About the vieweditor, I don't understand, it only uses the sprite indexes, so if you replace them in the sprite editor, it should automatically pick the reimported ones from the sprite file, is this not happening? Can you explain a little more of the view editor, perhaps adding images?

I think @AndreasBlack is talking about frame-linked audio clips, which he apparently uses extensively, not sprites.

AndreasBlack

eri0o,  the git link is exactly it, yes!

So if i understand you correctly, i can do what i ask for without having to re-import into the editor everytime i do small changes to the audio clips that is used in the view editor? I have to take a closer look at your example. replacing the cachefolder and throw it back in if that solves things would be fantastic!
So yes, the same feature as the sprite rightclick.

Snarky, yes and yes. If you saw the game you wouldn't think it's strange i take that route, all i'm saying...  :-D 
and yes, Snarky it says something along the lines of "unknown" once you re-import the audio files in the editor, one would think a basic reset of the editor would make it recognise the audio files again, but no. "Unknown" in the view editor, or when pushing the "build game" button.

Gonna try eri0o's workaround later!

eri0o

Uhm, linked audios, I had not understood that. I need to check but I think maybe audio is referenced in the linked audio frames, in the project files, by "ID" instead of the script name, and if you delete an audio and reimport with the same script name, it will still change the "ID".

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 14/10/2022 13:01:58Uhm, linked audios, I had not understood that. I need to check but I think maybe audio is referenced in the linked audio frames, in the project files, by "ID" instead of the script name, and if you delete an audio and reimport with the same script name, it will still change the "ID".

The frames do not reference a real ID, but the generated "semi-unique" clip index, that does not change even when you are reordering items, if I remember correctly.

But that's not the main point IMO; even if it were mentioning a script name, logically the frames should loose that reference as soon as the clip is deleted. Because editor does not know that you are going to replace the clip, it thinks that you are deleting it for good. So normally it would have to remove all the references.

The proper usage would be to not delete clips and do the replacement, either automatic or manual (with a command, if automatic does not work correctly).

Crimson Wizard

I guess this is resolved in 3.6.1, with addition of explicit "replace audio from sources" menu command.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk