[FEATURE REQUEST] - View Editor: deletion of frames improvement

Started by Gal Shemesh, Wed 15/05/2024 21:52:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Gal Shemesh

Hi guys,

A minor suggestion: when clicking on a frame in the View Editor and hitting the Delete key to remove the frame, the frame selection box disappears, requiring you to re-click on the next frame if say you wish to remove more than just one frame. Yes, you can use the Shift key to select multiple frames and to then delete all of them in one go, but one may just want to either delete frames one-by-one by re-hitting the Delete key, or perhaps to have the key repeatedly pressed-down to remove a bunch of frames further from the frame you're standing on, without needing to scroll horizontally to do a multiple selection.

I think that when hitting the Delete key, the frame selection box should remain in the same place if it's not the last frame. And if it is the last frame then it should move back one frame. Of course, it should have a small delay in the code so it doesn't do double-deletion of frames, unless the key is repeatedly pressed-down for say half a second where it should then do a fast deletion.

Just a small improvement. Again, not a big deal to do a multiple selection and delete. But just thought it may be good to bring this one up.

Thanks
Gal Shemesh,
goldeng

Crimson Wizard

I noticed that this was initially a planned behavior in the editor's code, but there's a mistake because of which it does not actually set a selection again.

EDIT: looks like this is broken after "multiple selection" was added. So this has to be patched in 3.6.1.

Opened a bug report:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/2428

Crimson Wizard

Gal Shemesh

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 16/05/2024 18:22:17The test build with fixes may be downloaded here:
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5667463642218496

based on 3.6.1
Thanks CW. Just checked this, though the multiple deletion occurs too fast; I hitted the Delete key only once and it deleted 2 frames from the sequence in one go. The first press on the Delete key should have a delay of about half a second I think before it keeps deleting further frames. And I think that even on the repeatedly deletion there should be a small delay as the deletion is happening too fast.

UPDATE:
Please ignore the double deletion of frames - it's okay. From some reason the refresh of the sequence after frame deletion looked as if it deletes more than one frame. But I still think that the repeatedly deletion should have a very small delay.
Gal Shemesh,
goldeng

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gal Shemesh on Thu 16/05/2024 18:27:37Just checked this, though the multiple deletion occurs too fast; I hitted the Delete key only once and it deleted 2-3 frames from the sequence. The first press on the Delete key should have a delay of about half a second I think before it keeps deleting further frames. And I think that even on the repeatedly deletion there should be a small delay as the deletion is happening too fast.

Is this a new behavior, or does it happen similarly fast in 3.6.0 version (the last which did not have new multi-frame selection)?

Gal Shemesh

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 16/05/2024 18:37:31
Quote from: Gal Shemesh on Thu 16/05/2024 18:27:37Just checked this, though the multiple deletion occurs too fast; I hitted the Delete key only once and it deleted 2-3 frames from the sequence. The first press on the Delete key should have a delay of about half a second I think before it keeps deleting further frames. And I think that even on the repeatedly deletion there should be a small delay as the deletion is happening too fast.

Is this a new behavior, or does it happen similarly fast in 3.6.0 version (the last which did not have new multi-frame selection)?
Good question. Installing 3.6.0 to check...

UPDATE:
Seems to behave the same way. It's fine. We can keep it this way. At least now the selection box is fixed again after deletion. Thanks!
Gal Shemesh,
goldeng

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk