What programs???

Started by , Mon 08/03/2004 20:26:44

Previous topic - Next topic

bytestud10

???

What programs do all of you use when it comes to doing graphics for your AGS games?

I have photoshop but I do not know if it is the best for working with and doing graphics for my game?

Scummbuddy

ok, now youve double posted. i already sent your other post to the critics lounge. please do not double post, you will get you questions answered here.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SSH

I doubt that there's any better program than a legal version of Photoshop. Other people use other programs for ethical/financial reasons, or maybe also loading time....

Alex Lowes

I use The Gimp and it takes less space than photoshop and has all it's options pluss it is freeware :)!
www.gimp.org

meowy

I use paint shop pro 5, and photoshop

I like PSP5 for doing pixel by pixel drawings, and photoshop for the rest.
- meowy

Ishmael

I use Paint for pixel by pixel, and PS4 for the rest. ;D
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Nacho

I use paint shop pro, PSP for short, do not confuse it with Photoshop, PS for short.

I had the 7th version, but I was so used to the 5th that I ve allways came back to this...

I've been told that PSP can do as much as PS, and it's cheaper, but if some PS zealot comes and tells me that PS can do more things, I will have to trust him because I haven't used PS too much. ;D

BTW, I think PSP is so much cheaper...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Isegrim

If you want great photo-realistic backgrounds, use terragen (www.planetside.co.uk/terragen). It's free and absolutely awesome! Besides you can import the landscapes into other 3d applications (not by default, this takes special plugins) and fill 'em with objects...
Of course, you can paint objects in 2d programs as well...
This post was generated automatically and therefore bears no signature.

Minimi

PS, PSP AND THEGIMP, AND aNY OTHER APP SUCCKKKSSS!!!!!  :-\

WHY??

Because I'm using Graphics Gale!! http://www.tempest-j.com/gale/e/
It's shareware, though almost fully functional, $20 for full version. It is made for pixel art, supports layers, frameselection(for animating), and a handy grid to see each pixel better. The tools are more like MSPaint, but then more advanced. Also there are couple of cool plugins to use on your picture. Ohw and bytheway..........

....having a legal version of photoshop, and not knowing weither you can use it for AGS games, or not, makes me doubting it's legal in the first place

Pessi

I believe Photoshop is definitely one of the best programs to use. Can't go wrong with it really.

It's mostly just a matter of preference, what tools you need for your style. Paint Shop Pro is good in that it's easy to learn. Photoshop on the other hand, isn't quite as straightforward at first but I claim that it's faster to use once you get used to it. I, for example, use shortcuts for basically all the tools I'm using, even brightness/contrast adjustments etc. But the thing I'm most thrilled about is that you can paint in full screen without the tools or anything else on the way. It has made my painting life a lot easier.

Anyway, I haven't used Paint Shop Pro much lately so I can't compare the two very well. I think the 6th or 7th version was the last I used. Is there anyone who has recently used them both and could compare the two? From my experience, Paint Shop Pro isn't as extensive as Photoshop.

MillsJROSS

I use MSPaint. Of course, if you've seen my work, you probably already were aware of that.

-MillsJROSS

Paper Carnival

I rarely ever use just one program. For my photoshoppy stuff I use Pixia, but I also use MSPaint. I also use the built-in paint program of Game Maker (a game making engine) and sometimes flash.

I might, for example, make something photoshoppy with Pixia and then clear the outline with MSPaint

Robert Eric

You could always do what Sierra did in the old SCI1 and above days - draw it on paper then scan it in, editing it as necessary.
Ã, Ã, 

makri

The program you need depends on what kind of graphics you're creating.

For natural media type painting, Corel's Painter 8 is by far the best choise. For photo editing, PS/PSP/Gimp are quite equally good. They work for pixel art too, even if they're somewhat humongous overkill. PS advantages are more in printing capabilities so from game graphics point of view it has nothing that the other two don't. For vectors, go for Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand. No matter what you use initially, the final pixel perfect editing for game purposes can be done in PS/PSP.

Now, Deluxe Paint is still a wonderful program and was used to create some true masterpieces, but it lacks layers so there are better options available these days. You don't have to have layers, but it sure makes things easier.
Thud. Thud. Thud. Splat.

rtf

ArcSoft PhotoStudio

I haven't heard anyone else on here use it but it's a cheap imitation of photoshop, and it is actually pretty good!
I fail at art.

Robert Eric

ArcSoft ShowBiz is also good if you want to convert your movies from one format to another very quickly.  Just go get any LiteOn CD\DVD drive and it should come with it.
Ã, Ã, 

TerranRich

Pah. I use Poser 5 for everything...characters, backgrounds (currently redesigning). Maybe PSP for retouching and logos, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk