Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

I still haven't tried it yet. The screwdrivers are in the cupboard under the stairs which has a sofa in from of it, and I'm too lazy to move it. Haha. I will probably try it tomorrow :-)

Weston_Kaunk

tldr: I say too much
http://westonkaunk.itch.io/

Stupot

So, I've got the RAM out of my Advent, and it's actually 2GB, not 1GB.  Trouble is my Compaq allows a maximum of 2GB and already has 1GB.  So, is it better to replace the current 1GB stick with the Advent's 2GB stick, or to just by a new 1GB one to add to the current one?

Khris

The difference in speed isn't going to matter much; just try the 2GB stick you already have.

Stee

Try both in and see if it boots. If nit swap the 1gb with the 2
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Nikolas

Premiere Pro CC vs Sony Vegas Pro 12

Comments on this? Keep in mind that Premiere is only available for download, at 19.99$ per month (annual plan), while Sony Vegas is cheaper.

Anyone has experience on any, or both?

Tosek

What about Magix Video Pro?

nihilyst

@Nikolas:
I'm not much of a video pro, but I find that Sony Vegas does the job pretty well and is easier to begin with for small scale projects (few video tracks, few audio tracks, few effects). For anything more complex (big scale productions with tons of effects and deep audio editing) Premiere would be the better choice mainly for it's connectivity with Photoshop, After Effects etc.

Weston_Kaunk

I was able to learn Premiere to the degree of being able to make an entirely competent music video in five minutes(movie scenes cut up overlapping song), only need a pointer from a friend twice, other than that I just learned clicking things. Really easy to learn the basics that make work look professional, few tutorials and I bet you'd be golden for whatever project. I would.. download Premiere for a test run to see how much you take to it before investing in the more costly option though.
tldr: I say too much
http://westonkaunk.itch.io/

Slasher

Hi

Can anyone refer a rain / snow type plugin / module compatible with 800 x 600 resolution and is fairly easy to implement?

cheers

Dualnames

Particle system manager by jerakeen does those things. Ideally, just use what I used for Dakota, and all my other games, hardcoded rain.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Eric

I've got a computer with an external hard drive shared on the home network via wireless router. Is there a way / what's the easiest way to be able to access files (i.e. stream media) from that hard drive to an iPad that's also connected through the router.

Khris

I guess the easiest way would be to go the media server route.
If the computer is a PC with at least Windows Vista, it should already be set up as media server. You just have to add the media files to the Windows Media Player library.
If it's a Mac, you can download a media server (I recommend Plex) and again add media folders to its library.

Now all you need on the iPad is a media player that can play media server content. Here's one: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airplayer/id369713694

The protocol is called UPnP/DLNA, so any server/client that uses that will work.

Anian

There's also (free) Plex Media Server, which should be easy to use stream media server application, for Windows.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Lasca

So, a question:
Besides the knowledge I have of AGS coding, I'm REALLY clueless regarding programming and such. Now to the question. Let's say one would want to construct a management game, like for example Prison Architect and such, is there somekind of engine one could use for this? If not, where would one go to learn what was needed?

Problem

Well, almost any engine (including AGS) can be used to code a management game, but it will require much more coding than what you've done in AGS so far. I don't know of any engine that specializes in this kind of game. For a management game, the code is more important than the actual engine. You can code a complex management simulation without using a real engine, just by using text and numbers.

So if you want to create something like this, I suggest that you learn a programming or scripting language from scratch. That's not as difficult as it sounds, buy a book or work through an online tutorial. Then code a very simple text-only management simulation to get an idea how to organize your code, data, etc. When you feel more comfortable with coding, you can better decide which game engine is suitable for what you want to achieve.

Lasca

Thanks Problem!
you're my go-to-guy!

Anian

If you know some very basics of game making, try finding out what exactly are mechanics and thinking behind a tycoon/manager/simulation genre. Maybe on Gamasutra or GDC site or similar sites or tutorials, I think gamedev.net should offer quite a lot of further direction. Then you'll probably find an engine/language/environment that's most suited for the game you want to make.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Retro Wolf

I've dabbled with this genre before, Game Maker is my go to engine for games other than point and click adventures.
http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

EDIT: Just watched the trailer for Prison Architect. Hilarious!

Eric

Thanks Khris and Anian! I'm going to give this a try this afternoon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk